Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #61
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Yes, we have prepared cloud download, so you can do update easily downloading it to your Max2 directly using settings->about->system update->check update from cloud.

Please set system language of your device to English first.
Please restart your device after update in order to get Play Store working.

This update mainly fixes the problem with Play Services.
Confirmed working. Reboot after the device restarted after the update process necessary (I misunderstood, thought the update-reboot was enough.)

Thanks a lot! Google sheets is working (e.g.), and my OfficeSuite (bought some time ago) is installed, haven't tried it yet, though.

/Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #62
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
I assume there is a micro sd card slot in MAX2. Can anybody tell me if >32GB is working?
You assume wrong, there is no micro sd card slot in the Max2. Several people have already complained, I would also very much liked to have a micro SD card slot.... would have even prefered it over a hdmi port.
I enjoy the device as it is though! there are almost 27 GB available after install.

Best,
Jan
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #63
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Hey Booxtor,

Sadly the update did not fix my Play store issues:
I tried restarting and even factory resetting.

I'm gonna try to reload the update locally.

+ info:

Play services are installed but I have no access to my purchased apps:

Asks me to buy again and then fails (error 7 ) stating I already own the apps.

This is true for normal apps as well as in-app purchases.

Don't know what I did wrong bc it seems to be working for others.

Any ideas?

Will keep tinkering and report back.

BTW: a note for first time posters who don't even bother checking Booxtor's track record before basically complaining about physics:

Booxtor is awesome, passionate about e-readers and honest to a fault.

Yes, my device it's still not working but I know that we will fix it.
Only awesome people release updates on a Saturday.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #64
Jayjee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
Hey Booxtor,

Sadly the update did not fix my Play store issues:
I tried restarting and even factory resetting.

I'm gonna try to reload the update locally.

+ info:

Play services are installed but I have no access to my purchased apps:

Asks me to buy again and then fails (error 7 ) stating I already own the apps.

This is true for normal apps as well as in-app purchases.

Don't know what I did wrong bc it seems to be working for others.

Any ideas?

Will keep tinkering and report back.
Some apps now also show up with prices (i.e. expecting me to pay again) on google play store on the boox.
What works for me is logging on on a computer on play store and installing the app from there on the max2 that shows up under "my devices".

But of course, best would be to be able to install them on the device.

/Jan
Old 01-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #65
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
This was a very random occurrence. I raised from the desk after posting about TeamViewer in the "monitor" thread. Collapsed on a stool in a nearby room vegetating a while to shake off the cold. The eye fell on a magazine that was sitting on the carpet. That's a magazine, meant for reading. The photo (untreated, just cropped) exaggerates the horror, but not much - it compresses to white what in real world is seen as "almost white with a bit of original".
Is it the same non-glare as the Onyx Max 1?

Even a non-glare screen will occure glare if you point a direct light on it.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #66
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
Some apps now also show up with prices (i.e. expecting me to pay again) on google play store on the boox.
What works for me is logging on on a computer on play store and installing the app from there on the max2 that shows up under "my devices".

But of course, best would be to be able to install them on the device.

/Jan
Good to know I'm not crazy and alone in this.
Will try to install remotely.
But that will not work for in-app purchases.
Which I reckon is most of my apps these days.
This is why I don't like IAP.
Licensing tends to fail from time to time.

I would say the device is still not properly authenticated.

Update:
I can install purchased apps from the desktop but IAP are still failing.
Could someone else reproduce/check this please?

Last edited by BKeeper; 01-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #67
BKeeper
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

I can say glare is not an issue at all.
And everything else is amazing: touch, pen, cpu.

Once we fix the Play Store, it will be the best document reader I have ever owned.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #68
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Yes Jo, it's the same as MaxCarta. Less than a magazine (that at this point we will not name to avoid condemnation... And consider that I have read so many issues without realizing). Probably more glare than an IKEA catalogue, though - which was among the first things I picked for verification.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #69
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Once we fix the Play Store, it will be the best document reader I have ever owned.
You are in love. Ah, to be young and foolish again...
Old 01-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #70
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
It reminds me anyway of an office story I lived, which is relevant.
User wants an LCD screen, CRT is diminishing for her. Decides to propose a justification: "it's for my eyes".
I start looking around for documentation - some real research that states that one technology is eye-friendly and another isn't.
Turns out that the discipline for eye|sight protection is 99.9% environmental conditions: the organization of the lights in the office and their incidence over those objects you look at.

Now, I did not insist on this matter because it must be so natural, when the light falls badly on your screen the screen must be moved - this is what you are supposed to do when you are holding something in your hands, and the rest is extension. (Of course, this is valid for usable objects: nowadays they sell mirrors as screens, so high are the current levels of perversion...)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #71
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
No sd card slot. I will bite my ass if in a few months a MAX2PRO64 or 128 will be available.

I encountered Play Store issues with several new devices. The reason always wasn't the device but Play Store.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #72
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Booxtor, really appreciate the quick OTA update. it is working!

i just edited my post -- originally i was saying my device wasn't registering to my google account, nor was the Play Store working as BKeeper was experiencing.

i stepped away for a second, the device went to power off since it was past 15 min. after turning back on the device, everything is synced and working

Quote:

i agree with this 100% regarding being the best ereader owned, especially now that the Play Store is working.

also i don't notice any extra glare more than the usual ereader (not much to begin with)

Last edited by oranges; 01-06-2018 at 12:33 PM.
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #73
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
No sd card slot. I will bite my ass if in a few months a MAX2PRO64 or 128 will be available.
It's much easier that they will perceive the clear orientation of the market: we wish to have that MicroSD slot.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #74
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
Quote:
It's much easier that they will perceive the clear orientation of the market: we wish to have that MicroSD slot.
Well, in that case I will bite my ass if in a few months a MAX2 with SD card slot is available.
But given their resistance to alter the mispositioned buttons etc. this might not happen anyway.

If only the MAX2 could act as usb host, a microSD in an usb adapter shouldn't drain to much power.
Yes, I know, it can't.

Last edited by alcedo; 01-06-2018 at 12:45 PM.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #75
marcosscriven
Enthusiast
marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!marcosscriven , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Boox Max 2
Quote:
This was a very random occurrence. I raised from the desk after posting about TeamViewer in the "monitor" thread. Collapsed on a stool in a nearby room vegetating a while to shake off the cold. The eye fell on a magazine that was sitting on the carpet. That's a magazine, meant for reading. The photo (untreated, just cropped) exaggerates the horror, but not much - it compresses to white what in real world is seen as "almost white with a bit of original".

I rest my case.

EDIT: now, this is ridiculous science, but: I thought "what about putting the Max2 and the magazine side by side"? I did. Result: they are similar, with the Max2 showing softened glares while the magazine has sharper blades of white.
Anyway, I read them both without a problem when needed.
Sometimes magazines are referred to as “glossy magazines” for just the reason you noticed. What I was really comparing against was my Kindle Paperwhite - and I noticed reflections a lot more on the Max 2.

I do wonder though it might be as much due to the sheer size of the device as much as the screen surface.

Last edited by marcosscriven; 01-06-2018 at 12:54 PM.
marcosscriven is offline   Reply With Quote