Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
dconabree
dconabree began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Adobe Digital Editions don't show up when copied to my PRS-505

Good morning,

I am a Mac user with a PRS-505. I had access to a PC which I authorized on Adobe Digital Editions, doing the same with the PRS-505.

I then installed Adobe Digital Editions on my Mac with the same authorization and bought a Digital Editions PDF book from Diesel.

I have dragged and dropped the file into the "Digital Editions" folder...any several other folders in the device but when I unplug it, the purchased book does not show up at all.

Any ideas?
dconabree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
After the books are in my Digital Editions folder I drag them onto the 505 folder thats listed in the left pane, works for me.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
dconabree

In Adobe Digital Editions software for the MAC? The Reader does not get listed there - as I understand it, there is no such driver. I am talking about dragging and dropping it from the desktop (where I downloaded the file) to my Reader (which appears to be recognized on the mac as two external drives - Once for the reader - one for the memory card)
Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I assume you can actually open the book in DE? Perhaps you are just putting the d/l link file on the Sony?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Dconabree.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
dconabree

Yes - I can read it in Digital Exditions for MAc with no difficulty. When I plug in the reader through, it does not show up in DE but it does as a pair of drives. I can't drag the file from DE to the device but I can drag it from my desktop (where I originally downloaded it) to my device. No matter what folder I put it in though, It just doesn't show up in the book list when I unplug the device.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconabree View Post
Yes - I can read it in Digital Exditions for MAc with no difficulty. When I plug in the reader through, it does not show up in DE but it does as a pair of drives. I can't drag the file from DE to the device but I can drag it from my desktop (where I originally downloaded it) to my device. No matter what folder I put it in though, It just doesn't show up in the book list when I unplug the device.
Are you dragging it to the DigitalEditions (I think it is) folder on the Sony?

BOb
Old 03-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
dconabree

...and that my friend is where I went wrong! I had been dragging what was probably the download link file (as suggested earlier). I went into the digital editions folder on my mac and dragged THAT version of the book to the Digital Editions folder of my PRS-505 and it worked beautifully.

Thank you for the help!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
dconabree,
Adobe Digital Editions on Windows relies upon Sony drivers to communicate with the Sony Reader. These drivers are typically installed with the Sony eBook Library software. Sony has not yet release either the software or the drivers for the Macintosh.

While you can transfer files to the Sony Reader using the Finder, Adobe DRM'd content will only be viewable on your Sony Reader, if you have first authorized your Sony Reader with an AdobeID, which you can currently only do with Digital Editions on Windows. Regardless you cannot transfer content you have "borrowed" from a Library.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Jim,

I think you might want to go back and read the OP post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Regardless you cannot transfer content you have "borrowed" from a Library.
Sure you can. I'm not sure why you think that.

BOb
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Regardless you cannot transfer content you have "borrowed" from a Library.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Jim,
Sure you can. I'm not sure why you think that.
Bob,
Actually I'm quite sure you can't (except in very specific and unusual circumstances), and am confused why you think you can. OP stated that they were on a Mac. On a Mac, Digital Editions cannot transfer the extra bits to make loans valid on the Sony Reader, and since the loans permissions are not moved, the loaned content is not readable on the Sony Reader (even if you do copy it over).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
You can always use the inept scripts to get it on your reader.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote