Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #271
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The fix for this as been checked in and merged. It should be in the next release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #272
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you very much, I'll check it when I install the last release.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:10 AM   #273
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The fix for this as been checked in and merged. It should be in the next release.
Checked in the new release and it works fine, thank you very much.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #274
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
Hi david,

I first posted in the KoboTouchExtended thread, but jgoguen suggested to ask you.
So, I copy and complete my message here :

Using the plugin KoboUtilities, I collect shelves informations in my library from one of my Kobo readers.
So in the column 'Collection' I have the shelf (or shelves) for each book.
For some books, they are in more than one shelf (ie ToRead and SF), this results in the column Collection by "ToRead, SF" (separator is comma followed by space)

In the KoboTouchExtended plugin (2.8.2), I assigned the same column (Collection).
Idem in the KoboTouch plugin (2.3.3)
When I transfer books in another Kobo Reader (after creation of all the shelves), all the books affected to only one shelf are in on the reader. That's fine.
But, for the books assigned to 2 or more shelves they aren't in any shelf. I suppose the plugin try to affect the book to one shelf called "ToRead, SF" to keep the same example instead of affect it to the 2 shelves.

Is it possible to 'fix' this in a future version of the plugin. Or, is there any existing solution ?
Hope you'll understand my english.

Thanks.

EDIT : I confirm the creation of a shelf named "ToRead, SF" instead of store the book in the 2 shelves "ToRead" and "SF"

Last edited by Mingyar; 03-01-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #275
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The problem is the column type you are fetching the collections into. The column you are using is probably a text column. When collections are created from these, the value in the column is used as the collection name. What you probably want to use is a tag-like column. These are displayed as a comma separated list. The collection management treats each of these as separate values and creates a collection for each.

The fix for this is to create a tag-like custom column. Then use search and replace in calibre to copy the values from your existing column to the new column. I'm pretty sure this will split the values at the commas. Then change the driver configuration to use the new column. After this, the next time you connect the device, the driver will redo the collections using this column and they should be how you want them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #276
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
Thanks David !
It works as I wished.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #277
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, 3 years late, but I finally ported my dithering patch to the 'new' codebase .

No longer needs to patch C code thanks to @kovidgoyal's work .
Especially glad about that bit, because I utterly failed at making Qt5 give me anything I'd have liked (i.e., dithering ).

To make it perfect, we'd basically need Nickel to switch to PNG and to stop doing crappy processing/rescaling when it's not needed, so, probably as good as it's going to get .

EDIT: Crazy 3 AM test seems to point to the fact that Nickel does indeed handle those files being saved as PNG... Yum!

EDIT²: Yup, works fine, looks much better . Might even be pixel-perfect for the sleep cover on devices where there's no hidden pixels... (But as I have an H2O, sadly, that's not me, there's still stupid scaling involved because of these 11px on top...).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-08-2018 at 10:47 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #278
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Err, 3 years late, but I finally ported my dithering patch to the 'new' codebase .

No longer needs to patch C code thanks to @kovidgoyal's work .
Especially glad about that bit, because I utterly failed at making Qt5 give me anything I'd have liked (i.e., dithering ).

To make it perfect, we'd basically need Nickel to switch to PNG and to stop doing crappy processing/rescaling when it's not needed, so, probably as good as it's going to get .

EDIT: Crazy 3 AM test seems to point to the fact that Nickel does indeed handle those files being saved as PNG... Yum!

EDIT²: Yup, works fine, looks much better . Might even be pixel-perfect for the sleep cover on devices where there's no hidden pixels... (But as I have an H2O, sadly, that's not me, there's still stupid scaling involved because of these 11px on top...).
Hi NiLuJe,

Did you test your prototype on fw 4.9.11311/11314? The reason I ask is that 'something bad' happened to screensaver display in this latest firmware.

If I open any .kobo-images/xxx - N3_FULL.parsed file in IrfanView on the PC, the grayscale dithering looks OK to me.

As I outlined in this recent short thread (post #15 onward), prior to fw 4.9.11311/11314, regarding grayscale banding, the screensavers looked very good on KA1, pretty good on H2O and pretty bad on GloHD/ClaraHD.

fw 4.9.11311/11314 seems to be an "equal opportunity" release. Grayscale banding is now equally bad on all 4 devices. The screensaver .parsed images were all in situ before the fw upgrade and have not changed.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #279
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm on 4.9.11314 (on a H2O), yeah.

I'll read through your thread, and double-check how the top 11px are handled now, compared to how that was done before (a quick glance yesterday told me *something* was still done, but I didn't have time to figure out exactly what).

I'm also using the larger Home/Library covers patches, which I realize is now probably counter-productive with this, since it potentially forces another layer of crappy scaling on top of now-dithered content, which is not that great...
I'll have to ditch those and see if that hunch is correct, too . (Although, admittedly, I care much more about sleep covers that Home/Library thumbnails).

EDIT²: Okay, turns out they're still shown smaller than the resolution of the thumbnails, so, patches are unlikely to change anything, we're always gonna suffer from a downscaling effect there.

EDIT: Okay, quick question for you: for what I gather, you were essentially doing what I'm doing with the "letterbox" option here, except with a dynamic median color instead of black bars, right? Were you also using dithering, or just a full grayscale?
If dithering, was it "automatic" dithering (i.e., palette selection done by the image processing), or a fixed palette?
Were you computing the median before or after the dithering step?
And, if dithering, PNG or JPG?

From what I remember of my experiments doing exactly this on Kindle, waaaaay back in the day, you had to do things in a certain order not to wreck everything (I'd say: remap + dithering -> median -> letterbox, so that the letterboxing uses a color that's on the palette, instead of computing a potential "new" one, which can happen if dithering wasn't done with a fixed palette).

As the state of the ScreenSavers hack attests to today, I personally settled on simple black bars, I was never quite satisfied with the dynamic colors approach. It sometimes looked somewhat better, but it sometimes looked alien. Black bars have the advantage of never being really terrible . It was certainly interesting to experiment with, though .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #280
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Joy: Cropping the 11 px myself, letterboxing + dithering yields a pixel-perfect result: Nickel doesn't do any more processing, it properly uses my 1080x1429 (the *actual* effective resolution of an H2O) image without any processing.

Since it's PNG & dithered to the right palette: no banding at all, and no extra processing means all that work is not mangled by Nickel .

Maybe that'll give an incentive for people to actually figure out the exact amount of hidden pixels on their devices, and where they are, because I seem to have been the only one to care so much about that so far .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-09-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #281
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
EDIT: Okay, quick question for you: for what I gather, you were essentially doing what I'm doing with the "letterbox" option here, except with a dynamic median color instead of black bars, right? Were you also using dithering, or just a full grayscale?
If dithering, was it "automatic" dithering (i.e., palette selection done by the image processing), or a fixed palette?
Were you computing the median before or after the dithering step?
And, if dithering, PNG or JPG?
Will PM you shortly. Thanks for quick response
Old 12-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #282
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackie_w: I just spent the evening re-testing my cover processing patches on FW 4.12 on both the H2O and the Forma, and, err, stuff got more confusing .

On the H2O, I definitely get what you meant by "it got better": indeed, Nickel will grayscale & dither both thumbails & sleep cover itself, and it does a pretty good job of it!
Grayscaling is done in sRGB space, and not linear light, but that's minor, and the dithering handles corner-cases much better than Calibre's approach.
On the flip side, I get an extra pass of... something on my pre-dithered PNG files, which means I no longer get bit-exact results. Thankfully, that processing pass is minor.

But on the Forma, oh, my...
First of all: sleep cover handling is just plain broken: I figure it's expecting Aura One sized covers (which is what it both generates for sideloaded content & downloads for kePubs), so you get a fantastic upscaling pass that's generally not great...
Second: it doesn't actually follow the same pattern as to *when* it's dithering and grayscaling?! It appears to do that for thumbnails (which don't suffer from such an egregious size issue, although I still suspect there's no dedicated Forma codepath there either), but NOT for the full-screen sleep cover?! (Both issues may actually be linked: i.e., that extra upscaling codepath doesn't do dithering)
Which generally yields worse results, no matter what you do.

TL;DR:

Without IM, the best settings I could come up with:

H2O: JPG (or PNG), BW & NO Dither
Forma: Well, nothing, really. PNG, BW & DITHER, but ideally, with IM doing the dithering . And even then, the upscaling pass pretty much wrecks it.

All my tests & results are available here.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-20-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #283
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@NiLuJe,

Thanks, I've downloaded your image pack. My brain is beginning to hurt again in anticipation of revisiting this image stuff, so I'll need to wait until I've got enough time to concentrate on it properly.

To cut a long story short:
Since the 4.11.xxxxx upgrades I've re-simplified my hacked KoboTouchExtended by removing the quantize/dither steps. I also reverted back to calibre sending all full/thumbnail covers in B&W in JPG format rather than PNG. I'm still doing the design-to-match grey filler bars, for the time being. I use the same driver processing for all of H2O/GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/Forma.

I wasn't aware of the Forma full-size screensaver dimensions anomaly. Now you mention it I can see that my standard test cover, with lots of smooth gradient changes, does look slightly better on the KA1 than the Forma. ATMO I'm not sure the Forma is sufficiently worse to bother me. I am still interested in anything you discover, though.

P.S. Glad to hear that Santa brought you a Forma Can we hope for good things on the Forma buttons/fbink front?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #284
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackie_w:

Great, that seems to concur with my findings on the H2O .
And yeah, without dithering on our end, JPG does the job okay for B&W, and the difference in file-size vs. PNG is minimal, and can swing both ways depending on the content. (I think I mentioned that I messed up my previous batch of JPG tests by starting with a completely mangled over-compressed JPG? That heavily biased my previous results in favor of PNG. Not this time ;p.).

Yeah, to be honest, I only caught the Forma thing by doing the tests (well, I had noticed the size inconsistency when updating the patch, but that's it), before delving into it, things generally looked okay-ish . But it does favor doing as much processing ourselves for now (especially since I couldn't get it to do the dithering on its own ).
You'll see that I tried to feed it an A1-sized image, and the results are not much better, so I went against it, as it mangled dithering a tiny bit more.

P.S.: Ahaha, I'd completely forgot about the button thing, I'll add that the to TODO list .

EDIT: Updated the patch after another review pass . Made things slightly simpler, and the new settings hopefully fool-proof .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #285
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And six months later, another rejig of the patch .

Unified & fixed dimension computations for the thumbnails, to match what's done with downloaded thumbnails for store-bought KePubs. This was a team effort, thanks to @shermp & @geek1011 .

In the same spirit of shamelessly stealing ideas from other projects, after my experiments with it in FBInk, this also implements IM's OrderedDithering algorithm, which behaves much better than Calibre's quantize for what we want to do .

Despite Qt's best efforts to annoy me, tweaked the PNG output to produce files that are encoded in a more sensible manner (i.e., grayscale, paletted), which should make for smaller files.

EDIT: And a quick fix to said PNG encoding mess to speed it up, it should now be roughly twice as fast as before. Patch version still at v16 because I'm lazy.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-25-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Tags
kobo