Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Sideloading books on Kobo.
EPUB 37 28.24%
KEPUB 96 73.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2018, 12:51 AM   #61
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Could an ePub file be causing device problems ?? I had a battery drain problem on my brand new h2O. Ended up getting a brand new one. Same thing is happening. I suspect it might be a faulty ePub file ??? Could it be it ?
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #62
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
how do they calculate percentages?

I just noticed that the % were whacky: 27+65 = 92; 30% + 72.2%? In fact it is now 29% and 71%.
anacreon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I just noticed that the % were whacky: 27+65 = 92; 30% + 72.2%? In fact it is now 29% and 71%.
Where are you seeing these? I can't think of anywhere there are two percentages displayed that you would expect to add together to 100%.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #64
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where are you seeing these? I can't think of anywhere there are two percentages displayed that you would expect to add together to 100%.
In the poll results, which only show if you vote.

Edit: just noticed the total number of voter, 90, which is inferior to the total of those who chose epubs (27) and those who chose kepubs (65). I thought it was impossible to choose both but apparently it is not. 27/90 30% and 65/90 is 72.2%, so the % are ok in this case, and 2 persons "preferred" both epub and kepub, which doesn't fit my understanding or what "prefer" means. But then I'm French.

Last edited by anacreon; 07-19-2018 at 08:14 AM.
anacreon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #65
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
2 persons "preferred" both epub and kepub, which doesn't fit my understanding or what "prefer" means. But then I'm French.
Just speculating here, but it could mean "it depends" if a person prefers to use the format based on some book characteristics (contains images, that sort of thing).
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
In the poll results, which only show if you vote.

Edit: just noticed the total number of voter, 90, which is inferior to the total of those who chose epubs (27) and those who chose kepubs (65). I thought it was impossible to choose both but apparently it is not. 27/90 30% and 65/90 is 72.2%, so the % are ok in this case, and 2 persons "preferred" both epub and kepub, which doesn't fit my understanding or what "prefer" means. But then I'm French.
The the poll allowed multiple selections. The poll question, first post and thread title are inconsistent. I interpreted it as "Which formats do you sideload?" While I usually use epub, I sideload as kepub enough that I selected both answers.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #67
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I'm all for the kepubs! Though mainly for the extra statistics, especially time left in chapter (while viewing full book page numbers in the footer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
I prefer Kepub - I like knowing how long it till take to read the current and next chapter.

I patch to reduce the header size and footer margin.

- Ken
What patch reduces the header size?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
What patch reduces the header size?
Look in the nickel.patch file in the GeoffR & Co. patches. The patch comes in two flavours to reduce height by 33% or 50%. Look for "Custom Header menubar" in the patch file.

If you are not familiar with the patch generation, check Instructions for patching firmware 4.9.11311 for more information. If you are not on 4.9.11311, look in the sticky "An index of all patch threads" to locate your firmware version.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #69
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just on principle I use epub, except for a few publcation with footnotes or suchlike where kepub is a must
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #70
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Look in the nickel.patch file in the GeoffR & Co. patches. The patch comes in two flavours to reduce height by 33% or 50%. Look for "Custom Header menubar" in the patch file.

If you are not familiar with the patch generation, check Instructions for patching firmware 4.9.11311 for more information. If you are not on 4.9.11311, look in the sticky "An index of all patch threads" to locate your firmware version.
Aaahhh thanks DNSB, I've seen and tried that patch. It's not just for the header, it's for the header menu (as well). I want a full size menu but a tiny title header while reading kepubs. I thought that was what Ksquared was referring too... Alas.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Aaahhh thanks DNSB, I've seen and tried that patch. It's not just for the header, it's for the header menu (as well). I want a full size menu but a tiny title header while reading kepubs. I thought that was what Ksquared was referring too... Alas.
Would full screen reading work for you? You can't get smaller than no header at all, but menu sizes aren't touched.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #72
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Would full screen reading work for you? You can't get smaller than no header at all, but menu sizes aren't touched.
Thank you. I did try it, but didn't enjoy it. Apparently I want to see the footer
Old 07-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #73
Ansl
Enthusiast
Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ansl , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo H2O2v1
Quote:
Thank you. I did try it, but didn't enjoy it. Apparently I want to see the footer
You're not alone! I would love to have a patch similar to the footer one reducing the headers in kepub books. I think making one should be possibek, but, being chronically incompetent, haven't dared trying anything yet. If such a patch is some day available or something else changes, I'm going to mostly stick with full screen reading.

As for kepub v epub, I'm mostly in the kepub camp but not sure if that's more because I've gotten used to it and have lazy css clean-up routines, or because of the minor advantages the renderer offers (though there are quite a few books where pop-up footnotes have been extremely useful). Extra stats are nice but I rarely look them up in full screen mode.

I have applied some patches to both kepub and epub renderers so with a decent source file both formats can look pleasant to my eye. Particularly now that epubs are no longer so slow to operate and I'm getting used to a bit bigger screen where full justification no longer feels out of the question, I've come to appreciate the equally minor advantages of the epub renderer more. Maybe I'll just have to edit the files more thoroughly from now on to become a real convert...
Ansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:50 AM   #74
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub on koreader
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #75
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Epub only for fullscreen reading and better typography.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote