Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #61
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I realized that it's becoming difficult for me to watch a 2 hours movie on my laptop without interruptions, cause it happens that something in the movie makes me think of a song and I can pause the movie and open youtube and listen to it, or there is in the movie a reference to something I can look for on wikipedia.
I do the same thing on both my iPhone and iPad! I love that aspect of it, actually. I can see where others find it too distracting, but to me, it makes things more interesting and engrossing, not less.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #62
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
Yep, that's how technology can change our habits (maybe for good).
I realized that it's becoming difficult for me to watch a 2 hours movie on my laptop without interruptions, cause it happens that something in the movie makes me think of a song and I can pause the movie and open youtube and listen to it, or there is in the movie a reference to something I can look for on wikipedia.
Is it a richer experience or am I losing the immersion in the movie I experienced in the old times ?
In the past when I bought a CD I inserted it in the player and listened to it for 2-3 times without interruption. Now when I download a mp3 collection, when I'm half through the songlist I often switch to some other artist, cause I have such a big library, and it's so easy to pick up anything.
I'm not complaining against technology, please don't misunderstand me, I just think it's interesting how our habits are changing. Maybe who produce culture and enterteinment should start thinking about how to use this new multimedia tools. e.g. what about books with their own soundtrack (music or noises or whatever), chosen by the author ? Or maybe books with charachters that sends you emails or ping you on Facebook while you are reading ?
Well, maybe I'm way too OT now...
Oh I hear you on the movie or music part. I generally stay focused on my movies and don't allow for distractions. Same for reading although I don't mind the occasional break. Music...I decide whether I want to be immersed in it or listen to it while I do other things. So yes, our media consumption habits are different than what they were when we were young. Oh, to prevent sounds from possibly interrupting my reading, I just mute the volume.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
kenny. your posts have been reported. i'm not going to let you and your nonsense turn this forum back into a battlefield. please. go troll elsewhere. this place picked up quite a bit in your absence and i much prefer it that way.

As have yours which started all this. I simple pointed out the fact that you were being hypocritical and you start calling me names. I don't appreciate being called a troll and will not put up with it.

This is not your forum and you are not the protector of Apple.

I will voice my opinion as always. I expect you to behave properly and stop attacking me and others for expressing their opinions on technology and products.

It's unfortunate that you can't seem to discuss the technology without attacking people. I will report it every time I see it happen whether it is to me or someone else. You really need to learn to discuss things in a rational manner.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #64
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
As have yours which started all this. I simple pointed out the fact that you were being hypocritical and you start calling me names. I don't appreciate being called a troll and will not put up with it.

This is not your forum and you are not the protector of Apple.

I will voice my opinion as always. I expect you to behave properly and stop attacking me and others for expressing their opinions on technology and products.

It's unfortunate that you can't seem to discuss the technology without attacking people. I will report it every time I see it happen whether it is to me or someone else. You really need to learn to discuss things in a rational manner.
Well said kenny.

Scott, unfortunately, believes that the definition of 'troll' is; 'Somebody who disagrees with my opinion of the iPad'. You're not the first he's accused of being a troll for that reason, and no doubt you won't be the last. It's a mystery to me why he doesn't go hang out in a fan-boy forum rather than inflicting his naivety on us.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Because, unlike other forums here, there are some who do not even own the device, but have to butt in. It is truly a mystery to me but some have some kind of need to camp out and hassle the people that simply want to chat about the device whose use they all share.
Well.. I don't see a problem with people that don't have a device discussion it. If internet forums were restricted to discussions about topics people talk about from a position of experience most would be a ghost town.

However, there is a difference between a troll and someone that has an opposing view point. But... beating a dead horse is certainly not welcome.

I hope MR can be a friendly place to discuss all topics also without people getting personal and with people realizing that other people might have opposing opinions and to respect them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #66
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Bob.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #67
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well said kenny.

Scott, unfortunately, believes that the definition of 'troll' is; 'Somebody who disagrees with my opinion of the iPad'. You're not the first he's accused of being a troll for that reason, and no doubt you won't be the last. It's a mystery to me why he doesn't go hang out in a fan-boy forum rather than inflicting his naivety on us.
That's overly harsh on Scott, yes he plays the troll card but he tends to do it when someone states their opinion about the device without actually having had or used the device, in an attempt to basically just create an argument.

In this thread for example kenny just posted to 'attack' Scott! He is looking to get a rise from him by basically posting 'your a hypocrite' and not reeky adding anything to anything! It certainly hasn't improved this topic and neither has Scott biting!

Kenny is posting to purposefully antagonize Scott and it's a little pathetic to be honest.

I don't think he has actually ever added anything of value it's always with the aim of starting pointless arguments, although I may be remembering incorrectly.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #68
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
as i've said before, don't want to be called a troll, don't act like one. simple.

as for personal attacks, if you hadn't called me a hypocrite, i wouldn't have had any reason to call you a troll. would i?

kenny, i very much enjoyed your vacation. why don't you take another?

Last edited by scottjl; 06-11-2010 at 01:38 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #69
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well said kenny.

thank you for your wisdom bilbo.. i can ask why you don't go hang out in the sony forum as it looks like you don't own an ipad either. i'm sure they'll be much happier for your company than we are. you and kenny will be free to spread your love there with each other.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #70
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
thank you for your wisdom bilbo.. i can ask why you don't go hang out in the sony forum as it looks like you don't own an ipad either. i'm sure they'll be much happier for your company than we are. you and kenny will be free to spread your love there with each other.
Ya see this is where I do disagree, this isn't an apple owners only forum!

However I do agree on people who don't have one intentionally posting things they therefor can't know asif it were fact! Eg 'you can't read on one they are too heavy' but when questioned admit they haven tactually tried to read with one.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #71
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
kenny, i very much enjoyed your vacation. why don't you take another?
Some people just seem to rub others the wrong way. while I generally don't tend to get upset about what someone I don't even know says on an internet forum... I know it does bother some people.

My suggestion is... make use of the ignore feature of the forum software. You can put someone on a permanent vacation at least as they relate to the message you see here.

Also... a bit of advice... If you respond to people you think are "trolls" then you are letting them win. Don't let the trolls (or people you think are trolls) win. Just ignore them... life is too short to get into flame wars.

BOb
Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thank you Bob.
Everyone should be able to post their opinions. But, lets keep it civil. Putting a simile after a snipe doesn't really make it polite. I think we all know that.

Now... can we get back on topic?

BOb
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #73
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Everyone should be able to post their opinions. But, lets keep it civil. Putting a simile after a snipe doesn't really make it polite. I think we all know that.

Now... can we get back on topic?

BOb
Bob I presume you are referring to this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=45

and if so I want to know what is wrong with it. I was pointing out the variability in Scottyj's opinion depending on which way the wind blows. A fact.

If you are familiar with his past attacks on me you'll know that when I'm pointed out that same issue with the iPad he attacked me there for being a troll. His typical behavior. I'm sick of it and I'm not putting up with it any more. I expect to be able to state my opinions, point out logical errors or hypocrisy when I see them without being called a troll.

Thank you.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #74
scottjl
Reader of Books

no offense, but if you're going to let them sit and continue to post "trolling" comments, they you're basically accepting their behavior. they'll attack one person today, another tomorrow, how long do you let the behavior go on? the solution is to just tell everyone to put them on ignore? unfortunately the real world just doesn't work that way.

kenny has a history of making technically incorrect, outrageous claims and attacking posts. if the moderators are going to be accepting of his behavior, then they should be just as accepting when he gets responses from others, and this forum will sink back to the level it was only a few weeks ago. in the short time both kenny and sonist were on vacation i noticed not only an increase in useful activity, but an influx of new faces to this forum. bring back the trolls and you'll have more than bremem leaving, you'll pretty much scare off anyone who has anything useful to say.

i ignored several of kenny's posts until he posted specifically at me in #45, if he didn't want me to comment back, he shouldn't have said anything in the first place. his post was nothing more than a match to start a flame war, something he obviously gets his jollys off on considering how many he starts. this isn't a "apple hater vs. a fan-boy" debate. his posts are simply to sling mud for attention.

cry me a river kenny, if you're treated so poorly in this forum, why did you come back? if you won't put up with any more, please, feel free to go away. i certainly won't miss you and i know several others who won't either.

Last edited by scottjl; 06-11-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #75
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
"I'm not sure why there is always so much angst in this forum section. "

Because, unlike other forums here, there are some who do not even own the device, but have to butt in. It is truly a mystery to me but some have some kind of need to camp out and hassle the people that simply want to chat about the device whose use they all share. I came back to check MR out after leaving a few months ago over this very issue. And there are many that left and even more that never even signed up because of it...

I hope MR has changed, time will tell.....
Bremen, speaking as one who lurks often and only posts rarely, your posts are always worth reading. I hope you decide to stay. Thanks!

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote