Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
The fact that it appeals to you personally doesn't make it a "good" one.
No device is inherently "good" or "bad". It either meets your personal needs, or it doesn't.

Quote:
What makes you think it will let you import any video? The presentation only shows running videos bought from iTunes store.
Because it works through iTunes and runs the same o/s as the iPhone and iPod Touch. There's absolutely no reason at all to suppose that it'll behave any differently to an existing iPod or iPhone in that regard. If it DOES turn out that you can't load your own content, then I certainly shan't buy one, but I think that's extremely unlikely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #32
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because it works through iTunes and runs the same o/s as the iPhone and iPod Touch. There's absolutely no reason at all to suppose that it'll behave any differently to an existing iPod or iPhone in that regard. If it DOES turn out that you can't load your own content, then I certainly shan't buy one, but I think that's extremely unlikely.
Well, when Apple revealed iPhone, initially there was absolutely no reason at all to suppose it will introduce anything like a closed App Store. So I'm not assumming anything about changes it decides to make to their retail channels with iPad.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #33
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Well, when Apple revealed iPhone, initially there was absolutely no reason at all to suppose it will introduce anything like a closed App Store. So I'm not assumming anything about changes it decides to make to their retail channels with iPad.
You can put any of your own video, music, photos and audiobooks etc. etc. into iTunes - which works on ALL your houshold's iPods and iPhones. How can it be that you don't know that?

Edit: I forgot to add APPLICATIONS!

Last edited by dragonbone; 01-28-2010 at 05:30 AM.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #34
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
You can put any of your own video, music, photos and audiobooks etc. etc. into iTunes - which works on ALL your houshold's iPods and iPhones. How can it be that you don't know that?
How did you come to conclusion I don't know that, based on my post?

I don't know whether iPad will be included in this happy family though. I don't assume it will be, and there's no clear information about it yet.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Well, when Apple revealed iPhone, initially there was absolutely no reason at all to suppose it will introduce anything like a closed App Store.
That's very true. However, the iPad appears to be being clearly targetted as a member of the iPod "family", not as a "Tablet iMac", so I'd be very surprised if people couldn't load their existing music, videos, photos, etc, from their iTunes library onto it. Apple certainly have their faults, but they'd be crazy to alienate their existing user-base by doing that.

But time will provide answers to all these currently unanswered questions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #36
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
That's very true. However, the iPad appears to be being clearly targetted as a member of the iPod "family", not as a "Tablet iMac", so I'd be very surprised if people couldn't load their existing music, videos, photos, etc, from their iTunes library onto it. Apple certainly have their faults, but they'd be crazy to alienate their existing user-base by doing that.

But time will provide answers to all these currently unanswered questions.
especially as they said existing already owned apps can be transferred using itunes.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #37
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
How did you come to conclusion I don't know that, based on my post?

I don't know whether iPad will be included in this happy family though. I don't assume it will be, and there's no clear information about it yet.
Oh, sorry... my mistake.
It's hardly likely that in their presentation that they would be showing you how to import video and how to rip CD's, hehehe...
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM   #38
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Not if it's already in a suitable format for the iPod Touch, which means MPEG4 with a couple of different choices of CODEC (H264 and something else which escapes me). I rip all my video in that format to start with, because that way it's playing on the iPod and on my PC.
I never needed to re-encode, as my PMP is a PMP worthy of the name and can read div-x at most resolution
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #39
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

"A tap of the iTunes store icon lets you browse and buy music, TV shows, and podcasts — or buy and rent movies — wirelessly, right from your iPad. Choose from thousands of movies and TV shows (in both standard and high definition), along with thousands of podcasts and millions of songs. Preview songs before you buy them. Or just sync iPad with the content you already have in your iTunes library on your Mac or PC."

Did anyone really believe otherwise?
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #40
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think the issue is, a lot of people just don't know enough to know the difference, and that is the market they are going for. People on my exercise video board were all 'I heard it will be a Kindle killer' and I was all 'not quite...'

I do think it will be a good netbook replacement, and I may be interested in it in that context. But it won't replace my Kindle.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #41
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I believe the device overall is a huge fail. Just a large iPhone with all of it's same problems. The missing SDHC card reader and the reliance on iTunes makes this a no-sale for me. Here is my take with the information I have heard so far:

Win:
10 hour battery life
9.7” screen
Half inch thick
ePub support
Video support
Multi-touch
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi
Accelerometer

Fail:
No SDHC or SDXC card reader built-in
Tied to iTunes
$130 for 3G ability
Border around screen too large
Apps from their app store only
4:3 aspect ratio
Proprietary sync cable instead of mini USB
No USB ports on device
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #42
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Looks like a great device, we will have to wait to see PRO reviews of it when it finally gets into the hands of reviewers to see how it really handles everything.
I will probably wait until the 2nd generation comes out on this device, prices will come down and they will add NEW features and I don't like first generation products because of bugs and costumers complain about things that don't work that well on device. These things are fixed on second generation device.
I have a itouch 2nd generation and it has stuff on it that the first generation didn't have and was a lot cheaper.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #43
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I think it is pretty slick and a good option for someone who was thinking about getting a netbook or who wants a large ebook reader for PDFs. There's a general sense of letdown about it now because the pre-launch hype had gotten so wild. I'm not sure what people expected. Apple has to use the same component suppliers that everyone else does, so an OLED screen was never a realistic possibility. And it couldn't be offered at the price that everyone likes if it had all the features that people wish it had. A balance had to be struck. So reality punctures fantasy once again, as it always does.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #44
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 08:56 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #45
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I believe the device overall is a huge fail. Just a large iPhone with all of it's same problems. The missing SDHC card reader and the reliance on iTunes makes this a no-sale for me. Here is my take with the information I have heard so far:

Fail:
No SDHC or SDXC card reader built-in
Tied to iTunes
$130 for 3G ability
Border around screen too large
Apps from their app store only
4:3 aspect ratio
Proprietary sync cable instead of mini USB
No USB ports on device

I note that the SD/USB connectors are, like, $30... As for the border, given that this is a touch-sensitive device, I think a 1/2" frame makes a lot of sense. As for apps from their app store, well, the SDK is free to download so you can write your own - and there are 140 THOUSAND apps all ready to run.

BTW, as of right now, you're tied to B&N or Amazon for direct download of Nook or Kindle ebooks. So how is that different than iTunes and the iPad??? (Yes, even if you buy an ebook from Webscriptions or Fictionwise for the Kindle, you *MUST* have it sent through Amazon to wirelessly download.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote