Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #631
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
I have noticed that with some - not all - of the last few books that I have converted, when first opened, they all point to the 100% of the book (and they show the cover of the book), instead of 0%.
I have never seen this. Since it does not happen for all books it is probably triggered by some specific content or metadata.

If you PM me a link to a converted KFX file that demonstrates this problem then I can look into it further. (Do not post copyrighted material on MobileRead.) It would also be helpful to know the version of the Kindle Previewer that you are using for conversion and the firmware version on your Kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 AM   #632
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have never seen this. Since it does not happen for all books it is probably triggered by some specific content or metadata.

If you PM me a link to a converted KFX file that demonstrates this problem then I can look into it further. (Do not post copyrighted material on MobileRead.) It would also be helpful to know the version of the Kindle Previewer that you are using for conversion and the firmware version on your Kindle.
Hi Jhowell, will do, thanks!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #633
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
I have noticed that with some - not all - of the last few books that I have converted, when first opened, they all point to the 100% of the book (and they show the cover of the book), instead of 0%.
After examining the books you provided I was able to determine the cause of the problem.

As the first step in converting a book to KFX the plugin first does a conversion to EPUB, even if the original format was EPUB, in order to update metadata and fix common problems.

It seems there is a problem in calibre's EPUB-to-EPUB conversion that occurs when the cover is replaced if the original cover page is referenced from within the book. In that case a new cover is created at the start of the book and the original cover winds up appended to the end of the book. (Technically the old cover is removed from the spine of the book, which causes it to appear at the end when converted.)

In the books you provided the cover page was set as the start reading location for the book. That reference triggers the conversion bug, causing the original cover to move to the end of the book. And because the original cover was specified as the start reading location, the book opens at the end where that page is now located.

Because the problem is not within the plugin I cannot fix it. As a work around you can edit those books to remove the code in the OPF that sets the start location. It will be something like:

<reference href="cover.xhtml" title="Begin Reading" type="Text"/>

Last edited by jhowell; 05-20-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #634
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
After examining the books you provided I was able to determine the cause of the problem.
[...]
Okay, thank you very much for checking.
In general, I think Calibre has a problem when it needs to replace the cover in a EPUB, in general, whatever the target format is.
I will do like you suggest, OR, I will remove the "old" cover manually before converting, which is something I already do when I notice the problem.
Thanks!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #635
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
latest kfx failed here, there's no "Download & transfer via USB" option on the website.
i downloaded the book in my kindle, a kfx file

and dedrm, it failed, a kfx-zip. it works fine with normal books but not the latest kfx..
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:18 AM   #636
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
my kindle has lastest firmware, looks like they did something to renew the kfx
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #637
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
latest kfx failed here, there's no "Download & transfer via USB" option on the website.
i downloaded the book in my kindle, a kfx file

and dedrm, it failed, a kfx-zip. it works fine with normal books but not the latest kfx..
This thread is for the KFX Output plugin that is used to convert books to KFX format and has nothing to do with importing books already in KFX.

(I see that you have already posted in the "Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre" thread, which is a better place for your query.)
Old 06-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #638
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.30.0 - 03 Jun 2019

Detect and support Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.31.0 and remove support for versions older than 3.29.2. Version 3.31.0 supports conversion of books with large HTML tables and additional languages: Afrikaans, Alsatian, Basque, Bokmal Norwegian, Breton, Catalan, Cornish, Corsican, Danish, Eastern Frisian, Finnish, Frisian, Galician, Icelandic, Irish, Luxembourgish, Manx, Northern Frisian, Norwegian, Nynorsk Norwegian, Provencal, Romansh, Russian, Scots, Scottish Gaelic, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, and Welsh.

Internal changes in preparation for the planned switch in calibre from Python 2 to Python 3.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #639
bopuc
livin' with ebooks
bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Location: Berlin (DE), winters in Aomori (JP), from Montréal (CA)
Device: Libra2, KOA
43 pages of posts…*Sorry if this has been asked before (plugin creators should have access to some sort of wiki or "page" functionality… anyways…)

Calibre's built-in "Send to Device" -> "Send specific format" feature doesn't give the option to send the KFX. Is this an issue with Calibre, with the plugin, the Kindle device (Oasis) or its software version?

Again sorry if this has been asked, and thank you in any case for any response
bopuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #640
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopuc View Post
Calibre's built-in "Send to Device" -> "Send specific format" feature doesn't give the option to send the KFX. Is this an issue with Calibre, with the plugin, the Kindle device (Oasis) or its software version?
That is covered in the first (rather long) post in this thread:

Quote:
To sideload using calibre, you need to configure KFX as a format that can be sent to that device. With your device connected click on the "Device" drop-down menu and choose "Configure this device". Under "Select available formats and their order for this device", add a checkmark to "kfx" and use the arrow buttons move it up/down and set its priority relative to the other formats.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #641
bopuc
livin' with ebooks
bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Location: Berlin (DE), winters in Aomori (JP), from Montréal (CA)
Device: Libra2, KOA
Quote:
That is covered in the first (rather long) post in this thread:
Oh dear… /me wipes egg off face.
Thank you.
bopuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #642
custosdraconis
custosdraconis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi jhowell, I have a book that failed the conversion using the plugin (1.30.0). However, Kindle Previewer can convert it. The error message is the following:
Code:
calibre, version 3.44.0
ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs</b><br><br><b>Conversion error:</b> Kindle Previewer error: Error(prcgen):E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none):/private/var/folders/6s/v163tc6j7hj3wcl9hy8z6dxw0000gn/C/calibre_3.44.0_tmp_dbsVWJ/4VFUQL/vlnxvm33n5zgqcbw13ws/0000/conv_resources/conv_tmp/KindleGen_temp_folder/mobi-pQfj8O/OEBPS/text/9780062490452_Titlepage.xhtml#</p>
Even though I removed all "display: none" from the css file.

Could you help me out? Thanks!

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-02-2019 at 03:04 AM. Reason: quote tags changed to code because of display problem
custosdraconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #643
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by custosdraconis View Post
Hi jhowell, I have a book that failed the conversion using the plugin (1.30.0). However, Kindle Previewer can convert it. ...
That error can also occur if the TOC has a link to a non-existent location in the book. I recommend using the Check Book feature of the calibre editor to see if that finds any related problem with the book.

Also, if the Kindle Previewer opens it and shows it as supporting Enhanced Typesetting then you can use the Command Line interface of the plugin to automatically convert the "last" file opened in the Previewer. See the first post of this thread for details.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #644
Tior500
Tior500 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
There is no cover on kindle when converting to KFX

Hi!
So I just converted from epub to KFX and it has all the features, works perfectly but it doesn't have the cover on my kindle paperwhite.
I tried putting it on my phone (iPhone x) kindle app and there's cover there and works perfectly.
So is there a plugin or something? Am I missing something? Why doesn't it have a cover on kindle?
Tior500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #645
Tior500
Tior500 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Also, when I try to convert in Calibre from PDF to KFX in Hungarian language it says that Kindle Previewer 3 does not accept that encoding...How could I fix that?
Tior500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine