Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #76
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Search bar:
comments:false
I am guessing that will return all ebooks without any comments, but alas does nothing about those that have something in that field, that is not a synopsis. I have a lot like that, that just mention series or a tagline or some general comment, etc etc.

But I guess that is a start, so thanks.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #77
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Interesting. What do you mean by that?
All the obvious things I guess.
An ereader is a slippery hard plastic tablet looking device, which looks and feels nothing like a book. A decent cover can improve things of course, but they aren't builtin and often hard to find the right one that imitates a hardcover at least.

A really nice ereader, would be softer and hide all but the screen, having the device embedded in a more ascetically pleasing medium. You would have a sturdy left and right, that allows holding comfortably and safely with one hand.

Most of all, a book, paperback at least, has a nice artwork (color) cover, and a title on the spine, with a blurb on the back, or inside flap of a hardcover.

That makes it very very different to an ereader device currently.

etc
Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #78
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
All the obvious things I guess.
An ereader is a slippery hard plastic tablet looking device, which looks and feels nothing like a book. A decent cover can improve things of course, but they aren't builtin and often hard to find the right one that imitates a hardcover at least.

A really nice ereader, would be softer and hide all but the screen, having the device embedded in a more ascetically pleasing medium. You would have a sturdy left and right, that allows holding comfortably and safely with one hand.

Most of all, a book, paperback at least, has a nice artwork (color) cover, and a title on the spine, with a blurb on the back, or inside flap of a hardcover.

That makes it very very different to an ereader device currently.

etc
Have you seen these: https://klevercase.com/

or these
https://ebookfriendly.com/book-style...rwhite-covers/

Or am I misunderstanding you?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I just don't understand the appeal. An ereader doesn't need to exactly replicate the experience of reading a book just like a cell phone doesn't need to replicate the exact experience of using a rotary dial landline.

Quote:
A really nice ereader, would be softer and hide all but the screen, having the device embedded in a more ascetically pleasing medium.
Most ereaders at this point are basically a screen and nothing else. So they are what you describe. Perhaps the bezel could be made out of the same soft touch plastic the backs tend to be made of. Not sure if there would be a benefit there.

Quote:
You would have a sturdy left and right, that allows holding comfortably and safely with one hand.
I can already hold my reader in one hand much easier than I could ever do so with a mass market or trade paperback. Forgot easily holding a hardback in one hand.

I use a cover where the front folds all the way back so that you are just holding the reader.

Quote:
Most of all, a book, paperback at least, has a nice artwork (color) cover and a title on the spine
Color e-ink would be nice. Otherwise, on the Kobo at least, the cover is the device's sleep screen. So I see the cover about as often as I did when reading paperbacks.

Quote:
and a title on the spine
The title on the spine I don't consider a benefit. It was mainly useful for finding the book on a bookcase. With my reader I can just search the title from among the hundreds to thousands of books stored on a device that weighs less than a single paperback.

Quote:
with a blurb on the back, or inside flap of a hardcover.
I've discussed being able to read the synopsis enough in this thread. I won't bore you again.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-16-2019 at 12:42 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #80
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Have you seen these: https://klevercase.com/

or these
https://ebookfriendly.com/book-style...rwhite-covers/

Or am I misunderstanding you?
Yes I have, and both are a step in the right direction, especially those in the second link. Some look pretty attractive on the outside, but of course the look never changes despite what book you read. I don't like the attachment mechanism, which just feels like the device is temporarily held in place, where it should really be embedded, with only the screen portion of the device showing, not the plastic edges.

I watched a terrible, what I call criminal, video at the first link, where the ereader is held in place, with a sticky patch ... and unbelievably they tell you and show someone pushing on the ereader screen to make sure the back of the device adheres fully to the patch. For that crime of negligence and stupidity alone, I would avoid those covers, as clearly they have no idea. I am gobsmacked and horrified at the notion that many people who see those videos will now think the screens unbreakable ... there goes the idea of me lending mine to anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL_8_qoZblM

I go to great lengths to find a tough protective cover, that is also padded, and some idiots tell people it is okay to press hard on an e-ink screen.

Last edited by Timboli; 05-16-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #81
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I just don't understand the appeal. An ereader doesn't need to exactly replicate the experience of reading a book just like a cell phone doesn't need to replicate the exact experience of using a rotary dial landline.
Well clearly it is a personal preference thing, and I don't see the comparison as logical myself, with size and pocket-ability being major differences with the phones, whereas with a book and ereader, size is not that different.

I guess for me, who is on the computer much of every day, I would like my ereader to feel more like a traditional book, rather than another computer. In other words give a less computer like experience, and really a book from is tried and true.

Quote:
Most ereaders at this point are basically a screen and nothing else. So they are what you describe. Perhaps the bezel could be made out of the same soft touch plastic the backs tend to be made of. Not sure if there would be a benefit there.
An ereader is about 3 parts screen and one part plastic edges.
How I imagine a nice (for me) ereader, is one where the ereader is embedded in some kind of cover, that hides the plastic edges with something more friendly.

Quote:
I can already hold my reader in one hand much easier than I could ever do so with a mass market or trade paperback. Forgot easily holding a hardback in one hand.

I use a cover where the front folds all the way back so that you are just holding the reader.
I likewise hold mine with one hand, but I have the cover open like a physical book, so have a stiff left page, and because my hand is quite large, I have very little issue ... not so my wife with a smaller hand, and so the device feels top heavy to her, and because of that she still prefers to read a physical book, where you have many more places to put your fingers and not so tricky with two hands. And the cover on her ereader is worse, than the cover on mine ... quite floppy in fact, which just acerbates things for her ... the stand ability is mostly to blame for that, but also not as thick and rigid as mine..

Quote:
Color e-ink would be nice. Otherwise, on the Kobo at least, the cover is the device's sleep screen. So I see the cover about as often as I did when reading paperbacks.
That is good, but color would be better.

Quote:
The title on the spine I don't consider a benefit. It was mainly useful for finding the book on a bookcase. With my reader I can just search the title from among the hundreds to thousands of books stored on a device that weighs less than a single paperback.
Well I am sure there are many like me, who when asked what you are reading, have a blank moment. If the spine of the ereader case showed the title and author of the currently being read ebook, then no need to fire it up to find out, or in your case open the cover, to see what it is. It's just a little convenience thing, but certainly something I and others miss.

Many of the little benefits don't seem much on their own, but do add up, certainly for some of us ... and that includes being able to see the synopsis of the current ebook you are reading, without having to turn the device on.

But hey, I am talking about ideal here, and I am not suggesting I am unhappy with most elements of my ereaders. And I am certainly not holding out for the ideals I suggest. Things can be improved and better though.

As always, who knows what the future may bring. We don't yet know if e-ink devices will survive, especially with screen improvements etc to tablets.

I dream of a far-off future where an ereader looks exactly like a physical book of old, perhaps even paperback. Where you communicate by voice or mind, to change font size and anything else.

Science will indeed be just like magic when that happens .... but sadly I am unlikely to be around by then.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #82
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
that includes being able to see the synopsis of the current ebook you are reading, without having to turn the device on.
Ooh. Good idea.

I should figure out how to implement this with ImageMagick plus Screensaver add-on (cover mode).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #83
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Well clearly it is a personal preference thing, and I don't see the comparison as logical myself, with size and pocket-ability being major differences with the phones, whereas with a book and ereader, size is not that different.
War and Peace on a Clara:

War and Peace in print:

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #84
Timboli
Fanatic

@ZodWallop - Ha ha ha an extreme case indeed ... and a small ereader.

I was talking on average though, and not really thickness, just height & width.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #85
Timboli
Fanatic

Well, I finally got motivated enough to check the calibre command-line options, and yes it has one for fetching metadata.

The following worked quite well for me, in a BAT file.

Quote:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\fetch-ebook-metadata.exe" --authors "A.J. Carella" --title "To Kill For" --opf >Metadata.log
That produces the regular format found in a metadata.opf file. Leave off the '--opf' bit and you get a straight text line-by-line version. So same data, just formatted differently.

That particular ebook, was a free epub I got from Kobo, and it had no ISBN listed and no DESCRIPTION. Both lots of data were returned using the command-line above.

So it seems I can add that easily enough to my Metadata Editor program. Shame I hadn't thought to check before.

Last edited by Timboli; 05-16-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #86
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Timboli makes me think about these young guys today building their PCs and the big thing these days is a case with a glass side and the color changing, blinking, etc. RGB LEDs inside, on the fans, the motherboard, the memory sticks, whatever. A perfect gag gift for TImboli, if someone made it, would be an e-reader with a clear case and a bunch of those RGB LEDs inside changing colors and whatnot.

And for the bicycle riders, you're not forgotten: https://youtu.be/DLtbeU8FJW0
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #87
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Timboli: Why not make your own ereader case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnp2jlmO28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8WmL5WNLpU
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #88
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Timboli makes me think about these young guys today building their PCs and the big thing these days is a case with a glass side and the color changing, blinking, etc. RGB LEDs inside, on the fans, the motherboard, the memory sticks, whatever. A perfect gag gift for TImboli, if someone made it, would be an e-reader with a clear case and a bunch of those RGB LEDs inside changing colors and whatnot.
LOL. So not me.

Don't get me wrong, I love tech and I program (code) for a hobby. I love the digital benefits of our age ... many of them anyway. It is not the be all and end all though, and I still like a book to be a book in as many ways as it can be.

I like to differentiate between tool, toy and standard.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #89
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Timboli: Why not make your own ereader case?
I have indeed pondered doing so many times, and may do yet, but what I could do myself would only be part of what I desire and envisage.

And as I like to think I learn from the past, I may just wait until someone better suited does the job for us ... or as is likely the case, comes up with a different approach ... Ereader Glasses anyone ... do away with anything resembling a book altogether ... except in you mind's eye.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #90
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I finally got motivated enough to check the calibre command-line options, and yes it has one for fetching metadata.

That particular ebook, was a free epub I got from Kobo, and it had no ISBN listed and no DESCRIPTION. Both lots of data were returned using the command-line above.

So it seems I can add that easily enough to my Metadata Editor program. Shame I hadn't thought to check before.
I have now done so, and below are some screenshots for the interested. I added two FETCH buttons.
Order of usage is as follows.
You drag & drop the metadata.opf file onto the small floating dropbox at top right (first screenshot).
The 'Metadata Editor' window (lower center) then opens and displays the relevant content.
Click the FETCH metadata button and the 'Metadata Download' window opens after fetching the metadata from the web, and displays relevant content. Clicking on ADD or REPLACE buttons updates the same fields on the 'Metadata Editor' window.
Click the FETCH cover button and the 'Compare Cover Images' window (second screenshot) opens after fetching the cover from the web.

I now have the basis for adding that same ability to my listing program for Synopsis (Blurb, etc) that I mentioned earlier in this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fetched.png
Views:	212
Size:	825.3 KB
ID:	171505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fetchcover.png
Views:	129
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	171506  

Last edited by Timboli; 05-19-2019 at 07:05 AM.