Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #31
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakinah View Post
The cover for Outlaw Heroes shouldn't be on the list. It actually looks pretty good to me.
The Outlaw Heroes one looks atrocious. The Outer Glow around the poster, the generic font that looks superimposed on the poster rather than part of it... it may not be quite as horrible as some of the others, but it still screams "cover designed by someone with only a passing knowledge of Photoshop."

This one's my favorite, just because it makes me laugh out loud. It seems like a book that's not really taking itself seriously, or is perhaps purposely shitty:

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com/po...mming-ur-salez
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here's one about what happens if Romney wins for President.

The Wrath of God

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com/po...ain-the-amazon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com

Amazon KDP at it's best.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #34
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here's one about what happens if Romney wins for President.

The Wrath of God

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com/po...ain-the-amazon
On the caption:

Quote:
Once again, the Amazon description provides the icing on the cake:
A vibrating novel combining thriller, action, adventure, romance and science in which two parallel stories converge eventually.
Words in a blender...for enhanced vibrating ACTION.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

TBH, I would have though most of these bad covers came from Smashwords. Was I wrong. Way to go amazon.
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #36
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
What about just making a thread for cover critique? There'd have to be a "Constructive or GTFO" rule, though, because it could quickly descend into a troll-fest.
Personally I wold prefer a new thread for each cover.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm wondering, if the author can't afford to pay for someone to design an attractive cover, and he also can't make his own, why not just make it very simply? A lot of the books uploaded here to Mobilread, including ones I have made, have simple covers that don't scare people away. Some of these downright make my eyes want to bleed...
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I barely even acknowledge cover art.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I barely even acknowledge cover art.
When people browse books, sometimes the cover art can be all that stands between reading the description or moving on.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
What about just making a thread for cover critique? There'd have to be a "Constructive or GTFO" rule, though, because it could quickly descend into a troll-fest.
Had to look up GTFO () but yes, I agree.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Don't think much of your fellow MRers, do you? They seem to me in the main to be generous and helpful types. Seriously, if you're going to be an author you need to grow a thick skin, and if you can't handle the odd brutal comment even within this generally supportive venue, I think you need to rethink what being an author means. To me, "troll-fest" reads: "comments I don't like, no matter how germane, well-intentioned or accurate."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #42
bigjantailor
Defender of Consciousness
bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bigjantailor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok, I have to do it, 'you can't judge a book by it's cover,' is what my co-worker said to me the other day when I brainstorming some cover ideas. I looked at her funny and shook my head becasue we all do.

I do my best to keep my covers simple or find a stock photo that works but I'm not the best visual artist (that's why I write) and a great cover takes work, talen, or money. So if your surfing the free book bin and wanna see great cover get realistic... you know, 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth.'

Have fun, Jan

Last edited by bigjantailor; 09-11-2012 at 10:58 AM.
bigjantailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #43
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
On the caption:

Words in a blender...for enhanced vibrating ACTION.
A random selector is in use.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #44
DarnellSaki
The Boy With 1000 Stories
DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarnellSaki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexuz 7
Wow some of these make me cringe. I know indie authors have it rough but we have to at least aspire to professionalism.
DarnellSaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I liked the comment on the cover blog that MS should stop including Paint with Windows.