Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #31
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't think DRM has anything to do with ownership of the book. Kobo has both DRM and DRM-free books for sale, but I don't own the DRM-free ebooks any more than I own the DRM-encumbered ones, as I can't sell or give away either ebook to someone else as I could with the paper books I own.

I think of buying an ebook from Kobo as buying a lifetime lease. Owning the book would be better, but the difference in price between the ebook and paper book, along with other conveniences, makes it worthwhile leasing rather than owning.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #32
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Well personally, I own all of my Kobo books. Thanks, Apprentice Alf!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
Not all of us are as wise as you

not wise! cheeaaap cheeaaaaaaaap very very cheaaap. I waste lots of time being as cheap as I am. I wasn't trying to disparage you at all...I just can't part with money easily. I was just making fun of myself and pointing out that you have just 2 options about pre-purchased material...

stuff you buy from now on you can do as before or you can also follow the advice of some on this forum to only buy DRM-free.

you also commented on not having much (any?) selection for ebooks at your local library? And asked if you can join multiple libraries.

The answer is YES (as long as any of the following apply). So the general rule is you have to work, live or go to school in a library district to qualify for a library card. Sometimes different library districts overlap, which might give you even more options.

This is my case....
I live in one area that has a network of libraries. Within the larger network of libraries I'm allowed to join, there are smaller networks. Some of these libraries have their own ebooks, some are part of ontario's (canada) ebook library service, some have no ebooks.

When I worked in a city a distance away, I also was able to get a library card for that network of libraries which was totally distinct from the network of libraries where I lived.
Same would apply for if you attend any level of school in a different library district.
In each case (work, live, go to school), you will need some kind of proof...pay slip, bill/driver's licence, or school ID I think are quite commonly accepted.

It does depend on the country you live though...both US and Canada seem fairly good and to follow this system, if you live somewhere else, maybe someone else on this forum can help you figure out how to optimise your library ebook options.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #34
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I think you are not alone...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #35
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Removing DRM does not make you the owner of the book. I could remove DRM from a library-loaned book, but I would still have to return it at the end of the loan period and I couldn't give it to anyone else in the meantime, so I wouldn't be its owner.

E-books bought from Kobo, Amazon, and most other places are like library books, except that the loan period is for life.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #36
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Don't want to find out how to DRM free my books.

But how can I tell if the books I buy are DRM free then?

Last edited by book64; 03-19-2013 at 02:52 AM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Every book store indicates this in a different way. Once you've bought a book, just see if calibre can display it.

[Oh, and by the time you find that you NEED to find out how to remove the DRM from your ebooks, it might be too late. It's best to do it while it's still possible.]
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #38
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
As eBook DRM is being discussed, I thought I'd link to this, which could be worth a read.
Thanks Sharkus, interesting!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #39
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Kobo will say either under download options:
Adobe DRM EPUB
or
EPUB (DRM-free)

For example, go into "New Releases" on their website...
http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/New_R...tWOutGA-1.html

a list comes up with a picture of the book on the left, some written information in the middle and the price on the right. The information above is found at the bottom of the written information.

Any book that is written EPUB (DRM-free) should be fine with backups and reading on any epub device.

Other companies should have a similar setup for whether something is DRM or DRM-free.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #40
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Adobe DRM EPUB
or
EPUB (DRM-free)

a list comes up with a picture of the book on the left, some written information in the middle and the price on the right. The information above is found at the bottom of the written information.

Any book that is written EPUB (DRM-free) should be fine with backups and reading on any epub device.

Other companies should have a similar setup for whether something is DRM or DRM-free.
Never knew that Thanks a bunch
Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #41
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Adobe DRM EPUB
or
EPUB (DRM-free)

Something similar for books purchased from the iBookstore:

Go to iTunes, find the book and use the Get Info option on it, if it says Book or Purchased Book then it will be DRM free. If it says Protected Book then it contains Apple's (Fairplay - fairly sure that's what it's known as) DRM.

Therefore, if it's the former, you should be able to reveal the book in Finder / Explorer and then copy the resulting ePub / PDF file onto your Kobo Device / Kobo App.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
Never knew that Thanks a bunch
no probs!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #43
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
Adobe DRM EPUB
or
EPUB (DRM-free)

So do ALL kindle books have DRM? Even the free ones?

Plus they don't all seem to be on my PC to add to calibre ( and the ones that are are nameless to find!)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I don't think so. It is up to the author or publisher to specify DRM or not. But I assume that Amazon apply DRM if not specified.
Quote:
Plus they don't all seem to be on my PC to add to calibre ( and the ones that are are nameless to find!)
I assume you have used Kindle for PC to download the books. The file names are meaningless. I just drag sort by timestamp and copy the recent ones to calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #45
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
No, but they are all closed-source format....ie you have to convert them to another format in order to get them to work on any other device...which sometimes doesn't work 100%. So if it's a free book, better to just get it in epub format (if possible...ie if public domain) than to try and convert to epub.