Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Author sites and copyright images

The whole use of images thing blew up a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't seen anything on MR about it, so here's some links:

Roni Loren's blog, the source - http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7...your-blog.html
Vacuous Minx with some advice - http://vacuousminx.wordpress.com/201...might-want-to/
Jane at Dear Author - http://dearauthor.com/features/lette...-for-bloggers/

Basically, any images you use on your blog, Facebook, Tumblr or wherever can get you in trouble. There's some nice links on Dear Author to information on "Fair use" as applied to writings as well.

It was also pointed out that because Loren is an author, her usage of images on her site counted as "commercial use," so that's a butt biter right there. Which is why people are removing any possible trouble images from their author blogs, Pinterest, etc. If you've got anything like that up, you're better off going back and checking through any images you're using.

Last edited by Harper Kingsley; 07-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I wonder how images.google.com gets away with it. Part of it could be that they are careful not to put advertisements in that part of their virtual empire. Part could be that their lawyers make them an expensive target. And I guess another part is that they lose a few cases and pay some judgments.

If only because I have a niece who is a professional photographer, and Ms. Loren was using her web site, in part, to promote sales of her books, I have to agree that the photographer was due some money. Whether the amount was fair, maybe not. Loren was unlucky.

I'm going to ask my niece if this happens to her (probably does, I see a lot of her work at images.google.com), and what she does about it.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
I find it surprising that anyone would think that they could simply find a picture on the internet and just decide to use it. Unless a picture is in an expressly marked non-copyright or Creative Commons area, it will be copyright to someone. It is easy to find very inexpensive or completely free images just by searching for them. Flickr has millions of Creative Commons images, and even some of the personal images will often be given to you if you ask the owner. Some find it flattering that another person wants to use their work. Several times I have had someone ask me for permission to use one of my Flickr images, I allow them as long as they include attribution.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I find it surprising that anyone would think that they could simply find a picture on the internet and just decide to use it. Unless a picture is in an expressly marked non-copyright or Creative Commons area, it will be copyright to someone.
For the longest time there's been all these man-candy blogs. I might take a peek, but I don't share the links to them because I didn't want it to come back on me. The whole Tumblr thing kind of freaks me out because there have been times when I've been on autopilot and just liked a bunch of stuff as it crossed my dashboard. There was definitely nothing there that I was willing to pay tons of money for, so I'll be much more careful in the future.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I wonder how images.google.com gets away with it.
They almost did get in trouble, but because they show them as tiny thumbnails and put "images may be subject to copyright" on the side when you click on them, they got out of taking responsibility. Google doesn't advocate copyright infringement. They just link to it
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have always gotten my images from stock photo sites, and other places that allowed me to pay for a license to use at a low price. Even when my wife sings at churches, we go and buy rights to the sheet music and etc through Lifeway.

I expect people to buy my unprotected ebooks, and in the same way I expect to pay for other's works.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
This is interesting. When I started blogging, I used images from Google Search. Then I started using images, but linking back to the source as a sort of "by Bob" ass-covering. Now I rarely use images at all, because I worry about this sort of thing.

I do think that Fair Use needs to be extended a little. Using an image posted on Flickr one time, on one blog post, on a blog with almost 1,000+ posts doesn't seem to me like a clear-cut case of infringement. But that's my personal opinion and nothing more.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
The whole use of images thing blew up a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't seen anything on MR about it, so here's some links:

Roni Loren's blog, the source - http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7...your-blog.html
Vacuous Minx with some advice - http://vacuousminx.wordpress.com/201...might-want-to/
Jane at Dear Author - http://dearauthor.com/features/lette...-for-bloggers/

Basically, any images you use on your blog, Facebook, Tumblr or wherever can get you in trouble. There's some nice links on Dear Author to information on "Fair use" as applied to writings as well.

It was also pointed out that because Loren is an author, her usage of images on her site counted as "commercial use," so that's a butt biter right there. Which is why people are removing any possible trouble images from their author blogs, Pinterest, etc. If you've got anything like that up, you're better off going back and checking through any images you're using.
Yes.

Care should be taken especially on a commercial (explicit or not) site.
I have heard (note the "at arms length mode") that some people, on really liking a picture or some artwork, will modify it somewhat to make it "theirs." How that holds up legally, I don't know.

I try to avoid even the chance of trouble and it turns out unfortunately that is not even enough. There is always someone who thinks they have been wronged and then you have to take the time and spend the money to defend yourself.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I should use this as an excuse to pick up my sketchpad more often to create my own graphics... this is something I need to do for a promotional project anyway, and it would be good practice.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I have always gotten my images from stock photo sites, and other places that allowed me to pay for a license to use at a low price. Even when my wife sings at churches, we go and buy rights to the sheet music and etc through Lifeway.
I either take pictures or make illustrations myself, or get public domain images from the Wikimedia Commons. I've commissioned an artist once, and while it turned out ok, I'm not sure I want to do it on another massive flop.

The only drawback to using public domain images is that you can't always find exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited by teh603; 08-01-2012 at 08:42 AM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I either take pictures or make illustrations myself, or get public domain images from the Wikimedia Commons. I've commissioned an artist once, and while it turned out ok, I'm not sure I want to do it on another massive flop.

The only drawback to using public domain images is that you can't always find exactly what you're looking for.
See, I am good at taking images and making art from them. Combining elements, adjusting color, and so on. I am not any good at taking a blank page and drawing something (or painting, connect the dots, or etc). So I poke around the better image libraries (typically not free) and create form that. My avatar here is an example of a logo I built that way. (I do pay someone else currently to do my book covers)

When I had the time, I was pretty good capturing images with my DSLR, but something had to give in my schedule, and that went. Some day will return to it. Someday....
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote