Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Quasii
Quasii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Why does Calibre Send My Kindle Yesterdays Newspaper?

Hi Peoples,

This is my first post, on the forum (from which I have found many helpfull answers already - so many thanks!) and I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why Calibre insist on sending me Yesterdays news paper.

Allow me to fill in the details -

I am using a Mac and I have a Kindle 3.
I set up Calibre 0.7.44 to download The Age (an Australian paper) at 6am
I set my myaddress@free.kindle.com to auto send

I sat back and waited with glee for my paper each morning...

Now what happens is that kindle ends up with the same paper that I got yesterday, when I check my computer it has downloaded the right paper, but for some reason sent me the old one?

If anyone could make any suggestions I would be forever indebted.

Quasii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Robin Gardner
Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Robin Gardner can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kindle
I believe that periodicals and newspapers are queued for delivery so you only get one at a time. I think maybe your problem is that you are not at the head of the queue. So try this: delete any old versions of the paper on your kindle and then wait. Hopefully the up-to-date paper should then be delivered.

Robin
Robin Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I have found with Australian Newspapers that an hour or so makes a big difference. When I was d/l'ing at 5am I got yesterdays paper. Change it to 7 or 8am and I get todays.

I assume it has something to do with whenever the person who rips the paper from the websites posts it and then when it is ready for sharing.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quasii,

First, welcome to the forum.

One thing you could to is to use your web browser to visit the RSS feed for the paper. This is the page from which Calibre obtains the news.

For example, look at this page:

http://feeds.theage.com.au/rssheadlines/top.xml

This is the feed for "top stories" for The Age. Whatever you see there, those are the stories that Calibre should download. If the page contains today's news, but Calibre gives you yesterday's, then the fault lies with Calibre. But if Calibre gives you the same news as the page, then you must blame the Age for not updating the feed in a timely way.

I see that the Age says it updates its feeds twice a day, but it doesn't say at what time of the day.

Hope this helps.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Quasii

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
I have found with Australian Newspapers that an hour or so makes a big difference. When I was d/l'ing at 5am I got yesterdays paper. Change it to 7 or 8am and I get todays.
Thanks brewjono, I had originally thought the same thing, but when I check calibre it has downloaded the right version, the problem lies in it sending me the yesterdays one.

Robin's idea sounds the most logical - So i have deleted all the old copies of the Age from Calibre, so tomorrow the only version that should be available to send to the kindle, should be the right one...

Fingers Crossed.

Thanks again for everyone's help and ideas.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
If that fixes it for tomorrow, there's a checkbox setting in Preferences > Behavior that will automatically delete the news file from Calibre after it's sent to the device.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
You have to archive the articles from your list or they will keep getting sent.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Quasii

Okay, I feel a little stupid; let me explain...

This morning Calibre sent me The Age, and according to the date it was yesterdays. Since I knew this to be impossible due to the fact I had deleted yesterdays paper, I opened it and low and behold it was actually todays.

So, it seems that I have been getting the right paper the whole time, but the kindle has been tagging it with yesterdays date. When I check the Date on my kindle it is a day behind. Yet as far as I can tell there is no way to change it.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time so far, but can anyone shed any light on why my date is wrong? Is it going of America's date instead of Australia, is day light savings got something to do with it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tags
autosend, calibre, kindle, newspaper