Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hmm...
My memory may be wrong about the wifi/3G -
The "small screen" DX/DXG, that is the K2, may have been like the DX(G) in hardware also (without wifi).
- - - -
Yup - memory error.

From the teardown board pictures I could find, no signs of Wifi on the board. It is 3G only.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #17
space_escalator
space_escalator began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
In a nail-biter between Lato and Roboto Condensed, the victor for most preferred clock goes to... Roboto Condensed!

There were a lot of fonts to try out in that list, but it seemed like the most clock-viable were at the top. Nice how they did that.

Also, I've changed my mind. I like having the weekday unabbreviated. It balances visually with the unabbreviated month.
space_escalator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great!
Now you have communicated a solid idea of what you want the end result to be like.

Now. . . .

We try to figure out how to do it.

The first path I think I would examine . . . .
The K2 isn't known for its processor power or vast realms of RAM.....

Once every minute, wake up -
Ensure nothing else can write to the screen -
Get current time (from the Kindle, and once every xyz times, from the NTP network - adjust Kindle time as required) -
Both are text replies -
Format text as required, write directly to the frame buffer, trigger a screen update (which might make it flash once a minute - we will just have to see about that) -
Refine as required.

I think the "Kindle as a weather display" (the one without a local server, only a network source) works like that.
I recall twobob building the rendering programs for that project.

Find, and review that entire project thread.
Maybe we can re-use most of what they found for the K2 (I think that was for either the K4 or the K5).
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #19
space_escalator

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200621
This is the mentioned forum thread about a server-less weather station. Reading it now.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_escalator View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200621
This is the mentioned forum thread about a server-less weather station. Reading it now.
Thanks for the link!

I have only read the first page of posts, seems it is done in Python.
I don't do the big snake, but there are people here who do.

And I think what they are doing is turning the data (from weather underground) into a screensaver image.
Your project is simpler but it is always easier to remove code than to invent it.

We may have to re-build whatever software(s) they end up using.
The K2 uses the iMX30 SoC (may need to re-build targeting that cpu).
That part I know a little bit about (I'm no twobob, but I can fake it).

- - - -

I even checked today on a recent Lua binding to LibCairo - Cairo supports a framebuffer surface (and also a png one, I think).
I don't know when Lab126 started shipping Lua on the Kindles, but if it isn't on the K2, we can put it there (Lua is much lighter weight than Python - a good thing for a K2).

- - - -

If you happen to have a link to information on the serial port of the K2 (other than the one linked to from the K2 index) . . . . .

Last edited by knc1; 09-03-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #21
space_escalator

Ok, so I've read the weather station thread, but it strikes me that a huge portion of it is difficulties due to using python on kindle. These may be even more difficult on the k2 (though I don't really know anything.) It seems to me that a simple clock may not need anything so fancy. It may not even need images, since the characters in the clock are fonts anyway.

Unfortunately, I am a programming greenhorn. My only experience is with java. What should my next step be to aid this project?

knc1: what sort of platform are you thinking of currently? html and javascript? installing debian and running something on that? Kindlet? Python?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral

Do it on the K2 -
Use Lua(.org) rather than Python -
Use a binding to the Cairo library -
This one looks good enough: http://www.dynaset.org/dogusanh/

Either write a screensaver image or write it to the display buffer (Cairo can do either).
We don't need graphics (which Cairo can also do) - just need to position and render alpha-numeric strings in a specified font (which Cairo can do).

And, Cairo may already be on the K2.

= = = =

If your familar with Java, perhaps this will help understand Cairo:
http://cairographics.org/cairo-java/
We may or may not want the Pango library also.

Last edited by knc1; 09-03-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #23
space_escalator

How would I check if lua and/or cairo are already on the device?
Old 09-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

you have telnet access?
type:
lua

if it comes up, you get out by entering:
os.exit()

and libcairo.* will be in either /lib or /usr/lib or maybe /usr/local/lib if its there.

Ah, a bit of cairo/java/pango example - last example on this page:
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/do...gInExposeEvent

Although we will be drawing on a png surface or a framebuffer surface rather than a pdf surface.

Last edited by knc1; 09-03-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Do check that cairo actually handles low bitdepth fb devices first, that may not be a given.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #26
space_escalator

[root@kindle root]# lua
-sh: lua: not found
[root@kindle root]#
Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #27
space_escalator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, a bit of cairo/java/pango example - last example on this page:
broken link :/
Old 09-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, lua came in w/ FW 5.x, for X & awesome.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #29
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I never had a Kindle 2, what window manager does it use? Is there no way to use a simple app like dclock:
http://opencircuitdesign.com/~tim/programs/dclock/
I know it was compiled for the Touch, I would like to know if it could work for the 2?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222206
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 AM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_escalator View Post
broken link :/
Works for me.
How are you trying to use it?
A copy and paste?

Tags
browser, clock, html, k2i