Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
HHJT
HHJT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I would think that is something peculiar to that epub...something in the css maybe?? Do you have an example of the html/css you could post here?
Yep, found it. I overlooked a line in CSS.
HHJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #17
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Added : Now I have a smartphone, I use it for reading the endnotes whilst reading the main text on a tablet or PC. The sort of stuff I read often has multiple endnotes for the same passage; also means I can look back when I perceive a contradiction or anomaly, and take sneak peeks at what's coming up.
That's cute! I may try that....
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
That's cute! I may try that....
Actually, that IS clever. I guess, due to the issues I have with cellphone reception in our neck of the woods, it never occurred to me to try it. I like it, though!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
HHJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Seems like ADE is fairly limited... lolz
ADE doesn't like line breaks to create blank line either. Or am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHJT View Post
ADE doesn't like line breaks to create blank line either. Or am I doing something wrong?
??? If I understand you, you use CSS, to create margin, above or below. You oughtn't to use breaks, or empty paragraphs (hitting enter, that is, to do nothing but create vertical spacing), because, as you've seen, those can be ignored by some/many eReaders.

Just amend the CSS that you're using for that section to create margin, either above/below. If you want to post the HTML and CSS, I'm sure that the Crew here can help.

Hitch
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
^^^ What Hitch said!

ex:
Code:
<p>Normal para</p>
<p>Normal para</p>
<p>Normal para</p>
<p class="break">Scene break para</p>
<p>Normal para</p>
<p>Normal para</p>
<p>Normal para</p>

CSS:
p {margin:0, padding:0; font-size:1em; text-indent:1.2em}
p.break {margin-top:2em; text-indent:0}
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
HHJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
??? If I understand you, you use CSS, to create margin, above or below. You oughtn't to use breaks, or empty paragraphs (hitting enter, that is, to do nothing but create vertical spacing), because, as you've seen, those can be ignored by some/many eReaders.Hitch
I start out with Open Office and convert it using Writer2epub and use Sigil for last-minute changes. The empty paragraphs (I only use them when I'm highlighting quotes etc.) worked on my Kobo Glo and iBooks. Apparently ADE fairs differently.

Quote:
Just amend the CSS that you're using for that section to create margin, either above/below. If you want to post the HTML and CSS, I'm sure that the Crew here can help.Hitch
For now, the only question remaining is what app I can use as a reference tool?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I start out with Open Office and convert it using Writer2epub and use Sigil for last-minute changes. The empty paragraphs (I only use them when I'm highlighting quotes etc.) worked on my Kobo Glo and iBooks. Apparently ADE fairs differently.
ADE is strict in many ways. it's not the only one, though, that's that way. Also, it's not "best practices" to use empty paragraphs or breaks, to create vertical space, for the very reason you've now experienced--because it's effectively a cheat, and it's a cheat that doesn't' always work.

Quote:
For now, the only question remaining is what app I can use as a reference tool?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. What do you mean, when you say, "a reference took"? Did I miss something you asked earlier? Happy to provide an opinion or information, but I don't understand what you are asking.

Hitch
Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
HHJT

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. What do you mean, when you say, "a reference took"? Did I miss something you asked earlier? Happy to provide an opinion or information, but I don't understand what you are asking. Hitch
I'm sorry, English is not my first language. You didn't miss anything,
When I'm modyfing an epub, I want to see what those changes look like. So I open the epub in apps like iBooks or ADE. So by a reference tool I mean, what software (if there is any) can I use to check up on those changes. Sigil alone clearly doesn't cut it because the empty paragraphs work in Sigil.

Quote:
ADE is strict in many ways. it's not the only one, though, that's that way. Also, it's not "best practices" to use empty paragraphs or breaks, to create vertical space, for the very reason you've now experienced--because it's effectively a cheat, and it's a cheat that doesn't' always work.Hitch
What do you mean when you're saying ADE is a cheat? Don't many people use ADE as library and transfering epubs to their ereader?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The cheat is the use of empty paragraphs, not the use of ADE.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm sorry, English is not my first language. You didn't miss anything,
When I'm modyfing an epub, I want to see what those changes look like. So I open the epub in apps like iBooks or ADE. So by a reference tool I mean, what software (if there is any) can I use to check up on those changes. Sigil alone clearly doesn't cut it because the empty paragraphs work in Sigil.
Your English is really quite good. Please don't apologize. Of course, you want to know how the book looks, and I understand why you don't want to use Sigil's Preview mode. You can use ADE, that's not a problem. I believe, from your next paragraph, that you misunderstood my meaning. Not to worry.

Quote:
What do you mean when you're saying ADE is a cheat? Don't many people use ADE as library and transfering epubs to their ereader?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The cheat is the use of empty paragraphs, not the use of ADE.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Just what Peter said. What I was referring to is trying to use "enter-enter-enter" or "break" to make vertical space.

You can learn how to do that, using CSS, very, very easily, I promise. It's one of the very first things that I learned ho to do, when I was first putting my toes into the waters of learning how to make "EPUB" like the Big Kids. (I started out making MOBI/PRC files, using the old MobiPocketCreator program, which is like...Kindergarten, if you know that term?, compared to HighSchool, [for ePUB] in the eBook world. When I first started coming to MobileRead, I was so intimidated by all the programmers and stuff. Psssst, don't tell them I said that. :-)

Hitch
Old 02-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't even like the use of <br/>. I consider that poor coding.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't even like the use of <br/>. I consider that poor coding.
I'm sure that If I put my noggin to it, I could think of a select few instances in which they are justified--I'm absolutely sure I've used it, and my shop has too. However, 99% of the time, at least, Jon, you are absolutely right, it's sloppy/lazy coding.

Hitch
Old 02-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #29
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I'm sure that If I put my noggin to it, I could think of a select few instances in which they are justified--...Hitch
Perhaps when dealing with a "problem" like this:
Code:
CSS:
h1 {margin-top: 2em; margin-bottom: 2em; text-align: center;}

Text:
<h1>LOVE AMOUNG<br/>the<br/>CHICKENS</h1>
<h1>by P. G. Wodehouse</h1>
You can't just put in 3 H1 tags for the title. You have to do something more complex like:
Code:
CSS:
h1.firstline {margin-top: 2em; margin-bottom: 0em; text-align: center;}
h1.middleline {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0em; text-align: center;}
h1.bottomline {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 2em; text-align: center;}

Text:
Text:
<h1 class="firstline">LOVE AMOUNG</h1>
<h1 class="middleline">the</h1>
<h1 class="bottomline">CHICKENS</h1>
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #30
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Perhaps when dealing with a "problem" like this:
Code:
CSS:

Text:
<h1>LOVE AMOUNG<br/>the<br/>CHICKENS</h1>
You can't just put in 3 H1 tags for the title. You have to do something more complex like:
Code:
CSS:
h1.firstline {margin-top: 2em; margin-bottom: 0em; text-align: center;}
h1.middleline {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0em; text-align: center;}
h1.bottomline {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 2em; text-align: center;}

Text:
Text:
<h1 class="firstline">LOVE AMOUNG</h1>
<h1 class="middleline">the</h1>
<h1 class="bottomline">CHICKENS</h1>
“Love Among the Chickens” to me sounds like it’s one headline with multi-line formatting, notionally. So I’d keep it in one h1 tag and divide it up inside that:

I’d probably put the byline in a separate p/div with class="byline"; it’s not a sub-heading to my mind and thus wouldn’t use an h1 (or h2) tag. You can put whatever formatting you want on the byline class.

Something like:
Code:
.title {
    text-align: center;
    font-size: larger;
}
.byline {
    text-align: center;
    font-size: large;
    font-style: italic;
}
<h1 class="title">
<div>Love Among</div>
<div>the</div>
<div>Chickens</div>
</h1>

<div class="byline">by P. G. Wodehouse</div>
EDIT: Obviously you can put first/second/third-line classes on the divs if they need different formatting. Conceptually, though, I want my “h1” tag to contain the text that would correspond to a full table of contents entry at the location (“Love Among the Chickens”) in one h1 tag.

It's possible that the byline div should go inside the h1 tag if I want a TOC entry of “Love Among the Chickens by P. G. Wodehouse”. That’s more likely in something like an anthology of short stories by different authors.

Last edited by sjfan; 02-25-2018 at 05:06 PM.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endnote, epub, hide