Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Stephen King manuscripts destroyed in flood

A broken waterpipe destroyed the original typewritten manuscripts for Dolan's Cadillac, Maximum Overdrive and Eyes of the Dragon.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Bummer. Stuff like that should be in either in a safe or bank vault. I'm sure it would have raised a pretty penny from collectors.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Bummer. Stuff like that should be in either in a safe or bank vault. I'm sure it would have raised a pretty penny from collectors.
Yeah, the store was full of rare books, so the manuscripts aren't the only valuable things lost. Just the most newsworthy.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, the store was full of rare books, so the manuscripts aren't the only valuable things lost. Just the most newsworthy.
At one time, I use to collect old Civil War books. I had quite a few books worth well over $100 each some 25 years ago. My main store was a store that specialized in old collectable books. They had a water pipe burst which flooded the store, ruining a large number of books. The store never reopened. Lord knows how much money they lost in that flood.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
At one time, I use to collect old Civil War books. I had quite a few books worth well over $100 each some 25 years ago. My main store was a store that specialized in old collectable books. They had a water pipe burst which flooded the store, ruining a large number of books. The store never reopened. Lord knows how much money they lost in that flood.
That store wasn't in Bangor, was it?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That store wasn't in Bangor, was it?
No, Atlanta, but it does go to show that you shouldn't set up a book store in the basement of an old building.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
My favorite SF bookstore originally was in a building with apartments above it, and they had several occurrences of the people in the apartment letting the bathtub overflow and flooding the bookstore below. Eventually he bought a building that only housed his bookstores, and hasn't had a flooding since. He did have someone think he was Santa, and got trapped in the chimney, but that's another story.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
That sucks but it's just sentimental value. As long as there are other copies, I'm not horrified by the loss of hard copy. It's the rare books that aren't digitized which loss scares me.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
That sucks but it's just sentimental value. As long as there are other copies, I'm not horrified by the loss of hard copy. It's the rare books that aren't digitized which loss scares me.
The greatest loss with the loss of original manuscripts is to scholarship. There's plenty to be learned by seeing the transformation from original to final.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:05 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I would have thought that even in a damaged state that the ms would have some value. They must have been pretty badly damaged to be unrecoverable.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I have 3 very large safety deposit boxes in a vault in one old bank that I really don't use anymore. My new bank didn't have boxes near that size. That is over $300 a year cost.

You might ask why not store at home in a fireproof box. Well I have those too.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote