Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Show current time while reading

Hello,
is it possible to show current time while reading a book (not only when menu is open?)
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
Hello,
is it possible to show current time while reading a book (not only when menu is open?)
That sounds familar, it may already be done.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know is is it possible for a KUAL extension to show something on the UI when a book is open, or to change an existing label on it (for example that showing page/position information)

Last edited by encol; 05-15-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
Here you go: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=49

Thanks again to all that helped to make it possible. It was the one thing that I missed on my kindle.

Hape
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
encol
Evangelist

Thanks, this is what i'm looking for!
On my PW3 title height was too little, so i made a little change:
In the showtime-header.sh, from:

/mnt/us/extensions/showtitle/bin/xdotool windowsize $i 100% 30

to

/mnt/us/extensions/showtitle/bin/xdotool windowsize $i 100% 60

and it looks good now ,

BUT

after some time and usage, my kindle tends to hang with this extension active, and i need to reboot
Anyone noticed this behaviour?
Can you fix this?

Last edited by encol; 05-17-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Advert
Old 05-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
encol
Evangelist

The UI stop responding but i can still use ssh via wifi.

A question for you, linux experts: how can i find the process that is causing this problem?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
The UI stop responding but i can still use ssh via wifi.

A question for you, linux experts: how can i find the process that is causing this problem?
There is a known issue that we can't fix at the moment. The touch screen will stop working If you tap on the title bar, or to near to it, while reading a book.

Hape
Old 05-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
encol
Evangelist

This is what happened!
The problem is that with the latest firmware this region is very utilized for various tasks

Maybe we can move the title bar on the bottom? Not really nice, but in this way it will not interfere
Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Going to go out on a limb here: Nope.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
This is what happened!
The problem is that with the latest firmware this region is very utilized for various tasks

Maybe we can move the title bar on the bottom? Not really nice, but in this way it will not interfere
I'll second that: Nope.
There is already a 'tool bar' down there - not often seen.

Tap the lower left corner of the display with a book open, you'll see one of its features.

Last edited by knc1; 05-20-2016 at 12:53 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
encol
Evangelist

Ok i made a KUAL extension for this.

I tested on my PW3 5.7.4.1, let me know if it works on other models.

PS: for the experts:
There is some way to know if kindle is in "reading book mode"?
i'd like to auto-hide the time showed by this extension if i am in the kindle home, because in this case it's unnecessary

Last edited by encol; 05-28-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check if current booklet is home (cf. screensaver hack for inspiration).
Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 AM   #13
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'd sleep a bit more and keep the last shown time around to avoid launching eips if time hasn't moved .
Yes, in the next version i'd like to call eips only when necessary (time is changed, page is changed, user tap on the top bar...)

I suppose that calling eips every second increase battery consumption.
There is any way to detect if the screen (or a portion of the screen) has updated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Check if current booklet is home (cf. screensaver hack for inspiration).
Do you mean a call to lipc-wait-event?

Every suggestion is appreciated
Old 05-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not necessarily, there might be a way to simply query the current booklet over lips. The ScreenSavers hack has to react to booklet *switches*, so, yeah, had to resort to wait-event there.

As for the screen, besides looking at the frame buffer programatically, which seems kind of overkill, no idea. (We also have X & the Damage extension running, but I have no idea how that would be helpful to you without an actual X window).
Old 01-02-2017, 03:12 AM   #15
Hanspeter
Connoisseur

Hi encol,

did you ever continue to work on this extension?

I switched to a Kindle voyager and realised that on the current fw my extension still shows the title bar, but the time is not updated any more. I expected that they do not update the time on title bar any more if it is not shown . What makes sense from the power consumption side, but runs my extension useless ...

Happy new year
HaPe