Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
axellec
axellec began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question Displaying image on Kobo Aura HD

Hi,

Does anyone know how to display an image on the Kobo Aura HD?
I found plenty of advice for non HD devices, with resolution 600x800 and 4 or 8 bits, but on Kobo Aura HD, it is 1440x1080 16 bit.

I tried this (where input is my original png picture and output the raw picture to send to the Kobo), but it does not display the picture fully correctly.

Code:
ffmpeg -i "$input" \
-vf transpose=2 -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 1440x1080 -y "$output" < /dev/null
Then,

Code:
cat $output | ssh -l root IP /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
Thanks
axellec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
One thing you can do is to replace the .png files in your AuraHD's ./kobo/slideshow/dragon/en folder with your own .pngs.

You can put your Kobo into "Demo Mode" by entering "demo mode on" in the search box. With Library selected not Bookstore. You turn it off with "demo mode off". You may have to wait for the inactive timer to run out before the first run through starts. It is made to run the slide show between customers giving it a hands on run through, so the slideshow stops on any touch events and starts on inactivity, until it is turned off.

Don't know if the regular Kobo software can handle .cbz files, but if it can, they are just a zipped file of sequentially numberd .jpg files. That works fine on my AuraHD, in Koreader.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-05-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ken; YES Kobo supports CBR and CBZ; has ALL ALONG
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I am not sure whether this matters, but the images included in the kobo software seem all to have 24 bit.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I am not sure whether this matters, but the images included in the kobo software seem all to have 24 bit.
Actually, for some reason the "dragon" folder has been left out of recent updates for the Kobo Firmware, now that you mention it. I remember getting the folder from an earlier update, but I don't see why you couldn't rename a folder for a different Kobo reader, as long as you are replacing the image files, anyway. Even if I had a Mini, I wouldn't need the "Pixie" folder in my AuraHD slideshow folder.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mentioned the 24 bit thing with reference to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by axellec View Post
I found plenty of advice for non HD devices, with resolution 600x800 and 4 or 8 bits, but on Kobo Aura HD, it is 1440x1080 16 bit.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
I mentioned the 24 bit thing with reference to this:
Right, and if 24bit depth images work, it is likely that a 32bit Blitbuffer is implemented, so pretty much all the pictures available will work.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
axellec

I think the error is with the ffmpeg command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
One thing you can do is to replace the .png files in your AuraHD's ./kobo/slideshow/dragon/en folder with your own .pngs.
I don't think that will work, but I'll give it a try (never know !).

Your suggestion is useful if there is a problem with the
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
command.

But if I had an issue with this command, then I would not see my image "strangely" on my Kobo. Seeing it, but just not exactly good, seems to imply that it's something with the way I convert it that is wrong.

I would rather think that it's my ffmpeg line which is wrong.
Hasn't anybody succeeded in displaying an image on a Kobo Aura HD?

Regards
Axelle
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
axellec

Image does not display correctly - I just see it a bit / guess

Quote:
Yes, but I only see people display 4-bit or 8-bit images on Kobo readers. And the fact is when I use the same command, it does not work on my Kobo Aura Hd.
1- the image does not have the right size, it is repeated several times on the display
2- the black and whites seem to be inverted
3- part of the image at the bottom gets at the top
etc

Thanks
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think that will work, but I'll give it a try (never know !).

Your suggestion is useful if there is a problem with the
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
command.

But if I had an issue with this command, then I would not see my image "strangely" on my Kobo. Seeing it, but just not exactly good, seems to imply that it's something with the way I convert it that is wrong.

I would rather think that it's my ffmpeg line which is wrong.
Hasn't anybody succeeded in displaying an image on a Kobo Aura HD?

Regards
Axelle

I have sets of images that I display on my AuraHD, using both methods I described. I use Gimp2 to create the 1080x1440 images from my existing collection of images. I also have loaded .jpg pictures with no modifications onto my AuraHD and been able to view them in Koreader.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Yes, but I only see people display 4-bit or 8-bit images on Kobo readers. And the fact is when I use the same command, it does not work on my Kobo Aura Hd.
1- the image does not have the right size, it is repeated several times on the display
2- the black and whites seem to be inverted
3- part of the image at the bottom gets at the top
etc

Thanks
I've seen those symptoms on my Glo when I converted an image incorrectly. But I'm no ffmpeg expert, nor do I have an Aura HD, so I'm afraid I can't offer too much help.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
axellec

Smile The customized slideshow works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

You can put your Kobo into "Demo Mode" by entering "demo mode on" in the search box. With Library selected not Bookstore. You turn it off with "demo mode off". You may have to wait for the inactive timer to run out before the first run through starts. It is made to run the slide show between customers giving it a hands on run through, so the slideshow stops on any touch events and starts on inactivity, until it is turned off.
Hi Ken,
Okay, I have tried that, it works
I had a look at the png in .kobo/slideshow/dragon/en, they are

Code:
PNG image data, 1080 x 1440, 8-bit grayscale, non-interlaced
I converted my own image to this format:
Code:
convert -resize 1080 -type GrayScale -depth 8 input output
and copied it to .kobo/slideshow/dragon/en. Rebooted the device, and then started the demo mode: yes ! it works !

However, if I do,

Code:
cat output.png | ssh -l root IP /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
the picture does not display.

Actually, what I really wanted to do is customize the sleep screen, but that's beginning to be a bit off topic, I'll start another thread for that.

Thanks,
Axelle
Old 01-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
axellec

Displaying image with pickel

Yes, I can display images which are in the slideshow, but that's not what I am looking for.

I want, with a shell command, to display an image on my e-Reader.
For instance, I can't understand why this does not work:

Code:
cd /etc/images
zcat splash.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
Nothing gets displayed on my Kobo.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I can display images which are in the slideshow, but that's not what I am looking for.

I want, with a shell command, to display an image on my e-Reader.
For instance, I can't understand why this does not work:

Code:
cd /etc/images
zcat splash.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
Nothing gets displayed on my Kobo.
This works on my Kobo Touch! I tried it from inside a sh script. On readers with other resolutions it should be distorted. You could try for instance dragon-factory-reset.raw.gz.

Last edited by tshering; 01-11-2014 at 05:11 PM.