Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Ebooks4ever
Ebooks4ever began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
New E-Reader Television Commercials!

In the last 3 weeks I have seen television commercials showing the Kindle and the Galaxy Tab. I have also seen a commercial for Kohl's that specifically mentioned e-readers.

I live in Canada and was wondering if anyone else around the world has seen an increase in commercials featuring e-readers?

As someone who really loves my e-reader I think this is very exciting!
Ebooks4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I wish they would advertise them in Aussie, so many people when i say i got myself an ereader, ask what they are ...
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
I wish they would advertise them in Aussie, so many people when i say i got myself an ereader, ask what they are ...
Maybe they don't have to advertise - a big sign in Borders Adelaide the other day with the Kobo's saying "Sold Out". Bet they are kicking themselves that they didn't order a whole lot more just before Christmas! I really think the Aussie retailers have totally underestimated the interest, or perhaps hoped it would go away. Think what the MP3 player did to all those CD shops!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think ereading devices will be the gift that everyone wants this year. We are all sooooo cool and trendy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
Here in the States, I think the term "ereader" would not be as well known as saying "Kindle", just as a personal player is an "iPod".
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Here in the States, I think the term "ereader" would not be as well known as saying "Kindle", just as a personal player is an "iPod".
Maybe the rest of us should call it an 'epub reader' just like the rest of them call it an 'mp3 player'....

At least that's what I call my Creative-branded thingy
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I have been seeing Kindle commercials for the first time ever here in Florida, USA. I have yet to see any TV ads for others.

Consumer Reports says 10% of adults plan to give an eReader as a gift this year. Although I got it in October, my Kindle was a Christmas gift. My sister gave it to me early because I had saved nearly enough Amazon gift cards to buy one for myself.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I started seeing Kindle commercials in the US around last Christmas. I've never seen another ereader advertised on TV, however, I have seen several ads in magazines for both Kindle and Kobo reader.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #9
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Hmmm, I haven't seen any. Almost nothing but car commercials (do people really give cars as Christmas gifts?) and ads for phones.

Then again, these days I mostly just watch football. Probably depends on what you watch.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
I think it's one of the hot tech gifts this year.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The UK has a lot of Kindle adverts at the moment, I haven't seen anything else. The latest one is pretty funny, it says you can move your books to any device you want, then shows Amazon software running on a mobile phone.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Ain't that the truth. My wife, who knows I want a Nook Color and knows it's not a Kindle, still refers to it as a Kindle whenever the subject comes up. She can't get that word out of her head, and I suspect it's still that way with most Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
I think it's one of the hot tech gifts this year.
At least, that's what every program that discusses Xmas gifts will tell you. But that's mostly thanks to the Hype Machine, so who knows whether or not it will be so.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
In Germany there are no commercials about eReaders.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
What I find annoying is how only nook and Kindle do any serious advertising, especially Kindle. It isn't clear to me how the others, particularly Sony, plan to stay competitive in the market without any advertising.

Kindle is advertised regularly in the New York Times Book Review (full page ads) and in display ads in magazines like The Atlantic -- that is, places where people who read books are likely to see an ad -- in addition to TV and YouTube. I have yet to see Sony do the same.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sony had Justin Timberlake in some reader commercials, but they bring out new models so frequently that the ad quickly became obsolete.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote