Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
reflowable documents: what does "page" mean?

hi

I just started wondering: what does "page" mean in a world of reflowable documents?

ps. Where can I find more info on how Adobe PDF's new reflow functionality works?
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
"Page" in a reflowable document is a specific spot in the document that can be referenced in the same way an anchor is in hypertext, just a place marker. It is page numbers that have no meaning in a reflowable document. (OK NatCh, page 1 can still be page 1.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
(OK NatCh, page 1 can still be page 1.)
Whew, that's a relief! I was worried there for a moment.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
this would be all right if devices would have good refresh rates, so we could just keep on scrolling down
however, this is not the case - e.g. look at the eInk readers Sony and IREX
I think it would still make sense to have page numbers and page headers and footers. The would have to be recalculated after reflow...

RWood, does Adobe's PDF reflow work the way you described?
I'd like to see it working on an eInk device - rather than computer screen or handheld with LCD.

I think reflow is much bigger question than to just support scrolling on handhelds...

I mentioned page headers and footers, there are other elemnts I can think of... e.g. annotations on the margin and the margin itself
multicolumn layouts
etc.

Is there any information about how Adobe is planning on handling all these?
sic is offline   Reply With Quote