Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
My dictionary is really getting a workout...

...ever since I started reading the first Discworld book, "The Color of Magic". I thought I had a pretty good vocabulary, but not compared to Terry Pratchett.

My favorite so far: homunculus.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
...ever since I started reading the first Discworld book, "The Color of Magic". I thought I had a pretty good vocabulary, but not compared to Terry Pratchett.

My favorite so far: homunculus.
Yep, I know that one, it's a type of cloud.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Numinous
Numinous doesn't litterNuminous doesn't litterNuminous doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 iPhone Kindle Ap
Talldog,

I thought you'd like this image of a sensory homunculus:

The explanation of which can be found at http://www.parismarashi.com/ppm/2007...dies-the-skin/.

I've read about 33 of Terry Pratchett's books and have loved them all. There is a mostly up to date list of the Discworld Reading Order Guide HERE.
Moreover, there is a lot of Discworld fan material available around the web. If you like, I'll make some more links available.

Remember: THE TURTLE MOVES!
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Terry Pratchett...so sad...
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
There is a mostly up to date list of the Discworld Reading Order Guide HERE.
This link isn't working for me, for some reason.
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Numinous

Here is the full linkhttp://www.lspace.org/books/reading-...-guide-1-5.pdf
Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Numinous

So, I might need to clarify: that link is to a .pdf file. If your browser doesn't support adobe reader, you might have problems. The website that supports that page is http://www.lspace.org/. There is a lot of Terry Pratchett stuff there. Further, you get closer to the Reading Order Guide from http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-...des/index.html.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Numinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
Terry Pratchett...so sad...
With any luck, he may have a few years left, I haven't seen anything regarding his current condition. In any case, very few men will have left a richer legacy.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
Talldog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
So, I might need to clarify: that link is to a .pdf file. If your browser doesn't support adobe reader, you might have problems.
It was IE8. I went back to IE7 and it works fine. Thanks for the links.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I read a bit of philosophy and psychology (mostly Jung) every now and then and boy does the dictionary come in handy!

I still need to get Pratchett works for the Kindle, but they are definitely on the to-buy list!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote