Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare of Earth View Post
Ok - I was an angel and waited several days to hear back from them, but I can no longer resist posting this.
Is that velcro? If it is, why? The 505 has this nice hinge system that works really well. That's going to be a deal breaker to not use the hinge system (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
really to bad it doesn't have the hinge in it .
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
They don't use the hinge system for the new Kindle, either
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem with velcro for me is I also have a lightwedge cover and the velcro on the back of the reader is not all that wonderful when using a cover like the lightwedge cover because the cover will then no loner lay f;at on the back of the 505.

Mare of Earth, if you are a beta tester, can you please stress to them that the hinge is very important to have on the Sony covers?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
They may not be allowed to use the clip without some sort of agreement with Sony. They might even have to pay to use the clip. Just using Velcro or sliding in the original cover probably is cheaper for Oberon.

Mare of Earth, do you know if the lightwedge cover would fit in the Oberon cover? I always use my lightwedge cover, but it would be very nice to cover it up with one of Oberon's beautiful designs!
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #21
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I don't have a lightwedge cover, however, I would think so - I don't know how much thicker the lightwedge cover is.

The major problem I have with the Sony clip system is that there is a long history on this site of the clip breaking. It is plastic, after all, and so impacts or just regular flexing can snap it.

Now - if someone was making a metal version, out of either memory wire or spring steel - I could see that working.

By accomodating the original cover (or the Sony leather cover) the Oberon cover is flexible, and when you upgrade to a different model, there is a decent chance of the cover being able to accommodate most devices with a similar formfactor, give or take a bit.

i admit to being curious about what all could fit in the cover......

*mad scientist laughter amid the clip-clopping of hooves as Mare wanders away*
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #22
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Ok - I was an angel and waited several days to hear back from them, but I can no longer resist posting this.

what a gorgeous cover...
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #23
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with velcro for me is I also have a lightwedge cover and the velcro on the back of the reader is not all that wonderful when using a cover like the lightwedge cover because the cover will then no loner lay f;at on the back of the 505.

Mare of Earth, if you are a beta tester, can you please stress to them that the hinge is very important to have on the Sony covers?
If you are using the lightwedge cover, then why would you want a hinge on the Oberon? Wouldn't you just slide the LWC into the Oberon?

They have a much smaller market with the Sonys as opposed to the Kindles so they can't offer too much I imagine...
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #24
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Thanks, Mare of Earth!

I was hoping they'd have the corner straps. That seemed the most secure. I have no interest in a hinge ever again unless it's made of steel!

But I'm looking forward to the rich look & feel of leather!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Why is it so big? The good thing about the Sony is it's compact size but Oberon looks like they added another 2 inches to the height and another 2.5 inches to the width! At least it look that way from one your pictures.

Last edited by Lilly; 04-23-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #26
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
The larger size is due to the ability to become a cover for an original Sony cover. Leather not being as flexible as cloth, there has to be sufficient room for the pockets to flex open to accomodate the cover.

I had previously asked about the covers - the gentleman at Oberon wrote that the way they make corners wouldn't work with the 505.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't have a lightwedge cover, however, I would think so - I don't know how much thicker the lightwedge cover is.

The major problem I have with the Sony clip system is that there is a long history on this site of the clip breaking. It is plastic, after all, and so impacts or just regular flexing can snap it.
It's mainly one person who kept on breaking the clip of the cover. Most people have no issues with the clip system. And f they want to switch covers say to the lightwedge cover, the reader won't have lumps of velcro on the back.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Why is it so big? The good thing about the Sony is it's compact size but Oberon looks like they added another 2 inches to the height and another 2.5 inches to the width! At least it look that way from one your pictures.

Are they just adopting the Kindle cover without sizing it for the 505 & 700?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #29
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I was so looking forward to this, now I'm really disappointed. Won't be buying one with this design and you guys know how much I love Oberon since I own a Kindle!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I was so looking forward to this, now I'm really disappointed. Won't be buying one with this design and you guys know how much I love Oberon since I own a Kindle!
If you have an Oberon cover for your Kindle, can you compare the size to that of the original 505 cover please? I'm interested if it is the Kindle cover converted without being sized down.