Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Calibre won't run after upgrade to 3.0.0

Has been completely fine until a few moments ago I downloaded 64-bit 3.0.0
I have been running 64-bit for a long time.
Installed with no issues or error messages, but when I start the program it says it cannot start because MSVCR90.dll is missing from my computer. says try reinstalling but the same thing happens. I urgently need a solution!

(Windows 7, 64-bit OS)

Last edited by NSILMike; 06-16-2017 at 03:26 PM.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's strange, calibre 2.x needs msvcr90.dll and comes with its own copy. calibre 3.0 does not. But in any case, you can always install it yourself from https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/Down...n.aspx?id=2092
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You probably have a mix of two calibre installs. Try uninstalling deleting your calibre installation directory (ususall C:\\Program Files\Calibre or similar) and then doing a clean installation.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You probably have a mix of two calibre installs. Try uninstalling deleting your calibre installation directory (ususall C:\\Program Files\Calibre or similar) and then doing a clean installation.
Do you want me to uninstall and then delete that folder?
Old 06-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes uninstall, then delete, then re-install.

And if that doesn't work just install the dll from the link I posted earlier.
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
yes uninstall, then delete, then re-install.

And if that doesn't work just install the dll from the link I posted earlier.
Thanks. was just about to delete the calibre folder when I see it has a sub-folder called 'Microsoft.VC90.CRT which has the MSVCR90.dll in it...
I will delete then reinstall as you said, but this is weird...

But, it worked! Many many thanks!

Last edited by NSILMike; 06-16-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
ZedPM
ZedPM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kovid, ran the installer for 3.0.0 on Win 10 and it could not uninstall the old version. then I got Error Code 126 when trying to open Calibre. I could manually unload the latest version but not the earlier version - it can't find calibre-0.8.36.msi. I renamed the calibre2 folder and ran the 3.0.0 installer again successfully.

So how can I uninistall the old version to avoid this problem in the future?
ZedPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

All old versions are avaialbel from https://download.calibre-ebook.com so just get the msi from there.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
infmom
infmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 7
same problem

Quote:
I can't even get Calibre to open. Using Windows 7 Pro. When I try to run Calibre, the little circle spins a couple of times and then stops. That's it. I used to run it nearly every day.

I uninstalled, then downloaded a new copy and installed it in a new directory, but it didn't change anything. I noticed that all my Calibre books are in the original Calibre directory, so I don't want to delete that.
infmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by infmom View Post
I can't even get Calibre to open. Using Windows 7 Pro. When I try to run Calibre, the little circle spins a couple of times and then stops. That's it. I used to run it nearly every day.

I uninstalled, then downloaded a new copy and installed it in a new directory, but it didn't change anything. I noticed that all my Calibre books are in the original Calibre directory, so I don't want to delete that.
Program files and the Library (books) are Normally (you would have needed to force the initial install to install in the programs folder) separate folders.
Uninstall, then clean up any garbage, by deleting the PROGRAM folder. Do NOT touch the Calibre Library (or custom name)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
NSILMike
Guru

Also try running the windows system file checker (sfc /scannow from a command prompt.)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
infmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Program files and the Library (books) are Normally (you would have needed to force the initial install to install in the programs folder) separate folders.
Uninstall, then clean up any garbage, by deleting the PROGRAM folder. Do NOT touch the Calibre Library (or custom name)
I don't have it in the Program Files folder. I'm not a fan of putting things in a default folder (plus I've had the same personalized folder structure since the DOS days). Whether putting Calibre in my own folder convinced it to put all the books there too, I don't know. But it did.
Still no dice on getting it to even run.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@infmom - the Calibre User Manual->Frequently asked questions-> Miscellaneous section has some items that might offer some clues - such as this one - calibre is not starting on Windows? Ψ²

Quote:
Whether putting Calibre in my own folder convinced it to put all the books there too, I don't know. But it did.
Can you elaborate on that - books and software being in same folder -- eek, indeed?

Quote:
Still no dice on getting it to even run.
Run from where, the default location (Program Files), or elsewhere - if latter did you try former.

Have you tried the portable version of calibre - it is packaged in a way that it must be installed in a location of your choosing.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #14
infmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@infmom -

Can you elaborate on that - books and software being in same folder -- eek, indeed?

Run from where, the default location (Program Files), or elsewhere - if latter did you try former.

Have you tried the portable version of calibre - it is packaged in a way that it must be installed in a location of your choosing.

BR
Books and software are in the same folder. In fact, the first thing I see when I look in the original Calibre folder is all my books. The program files are farther down the list.

I have tried running it from the Start Menu and by going to its installation folder (both old and new) and doubleclicking on the .exe. In neither case will it run.

Have not tried the portable version. I'd like to get the regular version running first.

Edited to add: It DID run just fine with the directory structure I had.

Last edited by infmom; 09-14-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What software do you run at startup?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote