Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Aura HD vs Aura

I wished for a 6" Aura but my husband got me a HD instead (he doesn't use ereader). Should I return the HD to get an Aura? From what I read in this forum, the Aura HD has better screen but heavier than the Aura. How about the light and software? How are the bugs between them? I always use 6" and occasionally 5" screen so I don't mind the smaller screen and I prefer the smaller weight but if the HD is better than the 6" in everything else I might keep it instead.

Thanks
mimosa
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
user38
Enthusiast
user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Sony PRS T1
It comes down to personal preference. For me, form factor is the major issue. I have an Aura and I am very happy with it.

I looked a the HD but it was bigger and clunkier. Also the Aura has a flush bezel whereas the screen of the HD is recessed. The Aura, for me, was much nicer to hold and use.

The Aura has a capacitive screen whereas the HD has a resistive screen. However, I don't know if this is a significant difference. To me, the major advantage of the HD over the Aura is the option of upgrading the internal memory of the HD. However, if you are not comfortable taking your e-reader apart this advantage is moot.

I understand the HD has a higher resolution screen. This, plus the larger screen, may be an advantage in reading graphic novels. However, I personally did not notice a significant difference.

I understand the software is identical and, from the specs, I think they both use the same processor. I haven't compared the light but I am very happy with the light in my Aura.

The Aura is not necessarily better than the HD and if the Aura did not exist I would be very happy with a HD. But to me, the Aura feels nicer in my hand. My advice is to go to a store and compare the Aura and HD.

Stephen

Last edited by user38; 12-30-2013 at 09:53 PM.
user38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Biggest pluses for Aura HD: higher resolution screen, physically larger screen, Kobo Sleepcover is nice and comfortable (if you buy one); the night-mode hack posted here works just fine to give a great in-bed/in-the-dark reading experience (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162).

Biggest pluses for the Aura: lighter weight, you can change brightness by swiping up and down with two fingers; screen refresh essentially eliminated (you don't have to have the screen go to inverse video every few page turns); completely flat front (the bezel is flat with the screen).

BUT: the Aura Sleepcover is atrociously uncomfortable, in my opinion; there's no reliable night-mode hack for the Aura.

I have, and use, both, but find myself reaching for my Aura HD most of the time, rather than the Aura. But both are great ereaders.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
CaffeBreak
Enthusiast
CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.

Device: Aura - Aura HD - Mini
I found that the best way to solve that problem is to get them both. The HD does have better resolution and the extra screen space is nice for reading, but the Aura is nice, too, being small and light and I like the way you can adjust the lighting while reading by sliding two fingers up or down on the screen which you can't do with the HD. If I absolutely had to choose between them I'd probably pick the HD, but it would be a close call.
CaffeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Thank you very much everyone for your reply. I would be happy with an Aura but he bought me a HD with the sleep cover instead (I'm very grateful for the gift and his consideration). I wouldn't buy both of course and living in US, I don't know any shop actually carries the non-HD Aura. Does the bezel make any difference? Anyway, I guess I just have to try it out and see if I can live with the heavier weight (which is unfortunately my main concern) since I don't want to hurt his feeling by exchanging his gift...
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
I have both and use them about the same amount. I prefer the hd's larger screen and resolution, but Aura is more portable So it might come down to how you are going to use it. If this is going to be a stay-home ereader then I'd stick with the hd. On the run, advantage aura.

Either way, I love my Kobos.Leaving
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
I wished for a 6" Aura but my husband got me a HD instead (he doesn't use ereader). Should I return the HD to get an Aura? From what I read in this forum, the Aura HD has better screen but heavier than the Aura. How about the light and software? How are the bugs between them? I always use 6" and occasionally 5" screen so I don't mind the smaller screen and I prefer the smaller weight but if the HD is better than the 6" in everything else I might keep it instead.
I have the Aura HD while my wife has the Aura which she, umm, borrowed from me. Her preference for the Aura was due to the smaller size fitting her purse and hands better. The Aura HD does have the larger and higher resolution screen which my eyes appreciate. The front light is pretty much the same between them. The capacitive vs. IR touch screen doesn't make much difference in normal use though you do have to clean the gap under the Aura HD's bezel once in a while -- dust and fluff buildup.

Pretty much comes down to the ereader size/weight and screen size/resolution as the only real difference.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
ErikG
Enthusiast
ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iRex DR800S, Kindle DX, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post

Thanks
mimosa
I have them both, the aura HD first and recently the aura.
I would say: don't hesitate and keep the aura HD.
Yes, the aura is lighter but in the long run the higher weight of the HD really doesn't bother me. When I go away I take the HD, so much advantage in size and weight the aura doesn't have.
And I think there are really a couple of pro's for the aura HD:
- higher resolution and bigger screen
- somewhat greater contrast and whiteness (HD is just marginally nicer)
- The aura is too sensitive in touch because of it's flat and capacitive screen

The only extra nice thing for the aura is the ability to change lighting with two finger swiping.

I am sure that owners of the aura will be very satisfied and they should be but when you have an aura HD don't go changing it for a smaller aura.

Just my opinion.
ErikG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I have the Aura HD and bought the Aura on a whim with the idea to sell the Aura HD later. In the end, I didn't keep the Aura and got a refund for the reasons pointed by ErikG (granted the screen of this unit wasn't perfect, but it wasn't only that).

Even now I don't regret this decision and I read happily on the Aura HD every evening One point though, I also have a Mini which is the ereader I take out and about. If I didn't have it, I think I would go for the Aura instead of the Aura HD due to the smaller size.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
user38
Enthusiast
user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.user38 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeBreak View Post
I found that the best way to solve that problem is to get them both.
I am finding this thread very disturbing. I bought the Aura after watching this video from the Goodreader website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMu1PY1NDCw

A few days before Xmas I decided I needed a new ereader and I can't be certain, but I am pretty sure the reviewers at Goodreader told me I should buy the Aura. Since then I have been trying to find an excuse not to buy a HD. I have gone to the store three times since Xmas to look at a HD and each time I have been struck by the extreme size of the HD. It occurred to me that, while Captain Kirk may have been happy with the Aura HD, Captain Picard would have owned an Aura.

But I am wracked with indecision. The more I read on these forums the more confused I become. Mimosavj, I applaud you for your consideration of your husband's feelings (none of my wives were so considerate), but CaffeBreak has a good point. It appears you have an itch. Some people have the self control not to scratch their itches. I am not one of them. The question here is, are you?

Stephen

Last edited by user38; 12-31-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: We strive for perfection
user38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
fordman
fordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of lightfordman is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Wifi, PW2
If I were to buy one myself, I would probably pick the Aura for reasons mentioned above. BUT if my wife had bought me an Aura HD for Chistmas then sure as heck i'd keep it, no questions asked.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user38 View Post
I am finding this thread very disturbing. I bought the Aura after watching this video from the Goodreader website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMu1PY1NDCw
Some MR member very correctly dubbed those Goodereader guys Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber. Ignore them.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
I love my Aura and i'm sure it will get a few more thumbs up from Aura users. Still haven't had a chance to look at a HD in the flesh but the unit size and the bezel put me off a bit. I have the official sleepcover as well and its great imho.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Pretty sure your Hubby wouldn't be too upset. Might not even notice. I am also sure you would be as happy with the HD overall.

I would definitely give it a try as you have probably taken it out of the box at least. You can always reset it to factory settings and return it in a day or two if you want to. If nothing else your sweetie would be pleased to see you using it if only temporarily.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
I love my Aura and i'm sure it will get a few more thumbs up from Aura users. Still haven't had a chance to look at a HD in the flesh but the unit size and the bezel put me off a bit. I have the official sleepcover as well and its great imho.
Me too. In fact I have looked at the HD and still prefer my Aura, including my pin pricks! Personally I don't think the screen resolution makes much difference.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote