Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #121
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
New as in LTE? Well, that's not new, it's been available for a while.
New as in larger screen? Ditto.
New as in NFC? Ditto.

Really, what's new?
is a phone...or is a race? I think...a phone.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #122
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I much prefer my iPad 3 for reading books, simply because the display is far more easy on the eyes due to its much higher resolution and pixel density.
Quote:
there's no difference at all, because the native resolution of the Nexus 7 is almost identical to a high-end Android smartphone -- the Nexus 7 is 1280x800 whereas my Galaxy Nexus or even the latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy S3 is 1280x720.
Quote:
But when I play any number of Android games, particularly 3D ones that tax the GPU, it's not unccomon to find the tablet pause to cache elements into memory and to stutter. Presumably, these games are written to use the NDK, not Dalvik, so we're talking about direct to frame buffer, so the OS can't get in the way.
Quote:
Now, don't get me wrong, I think the Nexus 7 is a great little tablet. I may find myself using it as my travel tablet of choice, since it's a lot less kit to carry with me and far less expensive a device to risk breaking on a trip, particularly if I want to watch movies on Netflix and do some casual after-hours browsing in my hotel room or in the airport lounge.

But as a replacement for my iPad 3 at home? Forget about it.
http://www.zdnet.com/nexus-7-push-co...ad-7000001835/
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #123
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The iPad is too big and too expensive. I'll consider one if they shrink it to 7", add a card slot, and drop the price to $199~$249.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #124
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
For the companies involved it is a race. And we are the spectators cheering from the sidelines when they push forward and complaining when they go the wrong way (which is happening quite often lately).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #125
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The iPad is too big and too expensive. I'll consider one if they shrink it to 7", add a card slot, and drop the price to $199~$249.
You would not buy it even then.

Probably say no banana holder or something.
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #126
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Why would you buy a phone with 2 years old technology? Why use pedestrian data speeds when you can have speeds comparable to, or higher than cable? Why pay more for less?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #127
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right when it snows in hell, you'll get that from the fruity company.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #128
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Why would you buy a phone with 2 years old technology? Why use pedestrian data speeds when you can have speeds comparable to, or higher than cable? Why pay more for less?
First, I think you are not telling truth to say it is a two year old phone.

Second, even if true, because those things aren't the most important thing to you.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #129
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
First, I think you are not telling truth to say it is a two year old phone.

Second, even if true, because those things aren't the most important thing to you.
The first LTE phones launched in the States in 2010; the next iPhone will have (presumably) LTE, 2 years later. Android has had turn by turn for 2 or 3 years; iOS will offer this coming with the next iPhone. The Nexus S, released in the Fall of 2010, had NFC, guess what is rumoured for the next iPhone, 2 years later? Now tell me how I am not telling the truth?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #130
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Right when it snows in hell, you'll get that from the fruity company.
LOL

I should start my own high tech fruit company. I'd call it:

Curved Yellow Fruit Company, Inc

If I just called it, Banana, I'm sure Apple would sue.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #131
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
The first LTE phones launched in the States in 2010; the next iPhone will have (presumably) LTE, 2 years later. Android has had turn by turn for 2 or 3 years; iOS will offer this coming with the next iPhone. The Nexus S, released in the Fall of 2010, had NFC, guess what is rumoured for the next iPhone, 2 years later? Now tell me how I am not telling the truth?
New Android phones that use LTE, NFC, etc are using two year old tech? Someone should tell Samsung...

What should they use instead of these technologies?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #132
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
LOL

Although, then you could never market one of your best early products, the Banana )(
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #133
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I was sure a certain Simian was responsible for this ad:

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #134
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
This is false. They met their own guidance -- fell short in wallstreet analyst guesses. Samsung won't tell its breakdown by device so we won't ever know.
But it's pretty sure that Note and Galaxy S family are what drive sales.

The reason for the softer sales is everyone is waiting for release of iPhone 5. Those numbers won't be seen for two more quarters.
Isn't the waiting for the new release something that happens before each new release? Wouldn't the analysts factor this in?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #135
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle;21:bigwave:69501
I was sure a certain Simian was responsible for this ad:

I can only say to you two guys: Superb!
Wonderful innovation. Masterful marketing!

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote