Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 in the Series) by Alexander McCall Smith 5 6.41%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 7 8.97%
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 12 15.38%
The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik (1st Judge Dee mystery by van Gulik) 21 26.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 6 7.69%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 3 3.85%
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 7 8.97%
Bruno, Chief of Police: A Novel Of The French Countryside by Martin Walker 3 3.85%
Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, Book #13) by Jim Butcher 0 0%
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book #1) by Jim Butcher 14 17.95%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #151
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Just a couple of quick question of the people who said they would not read the Chinese Maze Murders or were vocal in not wanting to win - 1. Why? 2. Have you read any of Mr. van Gulik's Judge Dee books?

I first read the Judge Dee books over 30 years ago and thought they were excellent and still find them so. I have reread them many times and look forward to rereading them again.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #152
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Just a couple of quick question of the people who said they would not read the Chinese Maze Murders or were vocal in not wanting to win - 1. Why? 2. Have you read any of Mr. van Gulik's Judge Dee books?

I first read the Judge Dee books over 30 years ago and thought they were excellent and still find them so. I have reread them many times and look forward to rereading them again.
I had exactly these thoughts. Thank you for voicing them.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #153
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:

1a. There are 2 other books in which I am more interested in reading.
1b. Chinese Maze Murders did not immediately catch my intrest or attention.
1c. It is too expensive for my tastes. I will not pay more than $7.99 for a book/author I know little to nothing about.

2. No, I have not read any. In fact, I had never heard of it before it's being nominated.

Last edited by Nyssa; 08-27-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #154
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
myself I am just not into mysteries, I think it is my least favorite genre.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #155
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
myself I am just not into mysteries, I think it is my least favorite genre.
Me, too. I can't remember reading one in the last three or four decades. But the Wikipedia entry peaked my interest. And maybe it's time I tried something different. Downloading now.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #156
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
1. The description doesn't make we want to read it enough to pay $10 (or thereabout) for it.

2. No I have not. I will however give them a go if one gets available (as ePub) on my library.

Last edited by Asawi; 08-27-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #157
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Why should I read a book that I have not heard about and is costlier than the one which I thought was more interesting and is cheaper?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #158
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Price is an important factor. I'd like to read Bruno but was taken aback to see that it's Agency-priced at $11.99, which is way too high for my comfort level for a mystery.

Oddly enough, Chinese Maze Murders is cheaper for Kindle than either Bruno or Storm Front. If your device reads ePubs, it can be bought with discounts from Kobo and Sony this weekend, so perhaps some on the fence will take the plunge. There's a 20% coupon for Kobo and a 50% coupon at Sony that would knock the price down to $5.20.

I'm truly curious. People say Judge Dee doesn't appeal to them, but not why it doesn't appeal to them. Why isn't it as interesting?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #159
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
WHy it's not interesting, or rather doesn't appeal to me?
I don't particularly like historical fiction books. (I wouldn't read Sherlock Holmes either now. Have read them in the past though.)
There just isn't anything in the description that grabs my interest. If I didn't have a ridicilouslu long TBR already I probably would be more open to it, but...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #160
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
exactly, I have so many books that I want to read but not enough time for them, to stop and read one that's not a genre I can for...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #161
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
WHy it's not interesting, or rather doesn't appeal to me?
I don't particularly like historical fiction books.
That's the kind of thing I was wondering about, thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #162
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
My suggestion would be to have a poll to see if people really want the voters hidden and take it from there.
Good idea!
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #163
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Good luck with the book this month. I didn't participate in the voting this time as I didn't think it likely I'd get to read the book next month or even the one after.

I absolutely loved The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. I wouldn't have voted for it as I'm not really up for a re-read but it was a great book.

I think I would have fallen in with the majority in this vote. The Chinese Maze Murders looks really interesting.

I might check in on the discussion thread when it's open just to see what people thought of it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #164
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
This was my first book club vote, I was excited that this month was mysteries as it's my favourite genre. I voted for Storm front as I had heard good things about it, it was also sci-fi which is a genre I do not read much of and I wanted to try something different.

I am tossing up whether to get the Chinese Maze murders as it didn't instantly appeal. It is priced at $8.17 (kobo) here. I usually prefer my novels to be more modern than this one but I think I may give it a try anyway assuming I get through the one I'm reading now in time. I do not like reading multiple books at the same time.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #165
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Why should I read a book that I have not heard about and is costlier than the one which I thought was more interesting and is cheaper?
No reason at all but does that justify a campaign against a specific. book or author?

I will repeat I read the Judge Dee books over 30 years ago and they are among my favourite books even though crime is far from my favourite genre.

I would recommend them to anyone to try but accept that they will not suit everyone.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote