Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
How long has Amazon been trolling for ebooks?

I went to their site and noticed at the bottom of each book is sentence saying that if you have the rights to that book, to contact them about publixhing it as an ebook.

Is that new, or had I just never noticed?
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Doesn't seem to be the case on Amazon.co.uk Possible bad news for us Brits?
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
Doesn't seem to be the case on Amazon.co.uk Possible bad news for us Brits?
Probably not. We can buy stuff from amazon.com if we choose to; I quite often do, because they stock different things to amazon.co.uk.

amazon.co.uk don't sell eBooks at all, AFAIK. Perhaps that'll change in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTrickey View Post
Is that new, or had I just never noticed?
It's not new. They own BookSurge, and they've been trolling out-of-print titles for business for that, as well. Once the book is digitized for print-on-demand, e-books are easy.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
They've been at it for at least 2 years now. I always think it's ironic, as Amazon doesn't list their Mobipocket holdings under the "Also Available in:" formats section! In fact, I think they've dropped ebooks on the main Amazon sites as part of the acquisition of Mobipocket. This makes no sense to me.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
They've been at it for at least 2 years now. I always think it's ironic, as Amazon doesn't list their Mobipocket holdings under the "Also Available in:" formats section! In fact, I think they've dropped ebooks on the main Amazon sites as part of the acquisition of Mobipocket. This makes no sense to me.
That shows how observant I am. Thanks.

It could be that they didn't want the two sites to compete for the same business, and so the guy in charge of the Mobipocket site had enough pull to make his site the preferred one. Sales also might have been poor when you could see the price of a new ebook side by side with a used pbook.
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Once the book is digitized for print-on-demand, e-books are easy.
Unless, of course, the prospective e-book maker is determined to be difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTrickey View Post
That shows how observant I am.
Heh, with all the ... detritus on Amazon pages, I'm impressed that you noticed it at all, I hadn't. But what really impresses me is that nekokami actually remembers how long it's been there!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
^ Yep, but when you search in Google using the books title and adding "eBook" as an 'and' inclusion, Amazon usually comes up. So then you wonder "Why am I getting sent to Amazon for the eBook of this?" And then you realize it's because every single freakin' book page talks about "if you want to sell the eBook rights" or whatever....
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
There's an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal about Google being investigated for antitrust because of all the books they are scanning, though they did do a big settlement on this last year with publishers.

This thread reminds me that Amazon also wishes to get into the copyright control business, and not be dependent on Google. In fact, presumably Amazon may be one of the complainers about Google's scanning! That makes the government action a little more intelligible ---- I always thought it was great Google is scanning EVERYthing right down to people's grocery lists on the refrigerator, but Amazon wants to offer content electronically also.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote