Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The DRM and piracy Slap-out

Do any others here feel that the discussion of DRM and piracy has become a personal brain-drain, keeping them from more fruitful pursuits?

Do any others here feel that they are unnecessarily saturating the MR threads with their personal opinions, repeated ad-nauseam, about DRM and piracy?

Do any others here feel that, despite the above statements, you often find it difficult to avoid being drawn into the discussion like a moth to a flame(war)?

Do any others here feel that they need help to avoid the constant and unchanging diatribes about DRM and piracy?

I do!

Maybe what we need is a gentle reminder by our fellow MR members to refrain from getting involved in mind-sucking DRM discussions. Something like, I dunno...

"Hey, Steve?

SLAP!

Move along, now."

I hereby submit myself to the Slap-out, in the event anyone finds me getting involved with another interminable discussion about DRM or piracy. (If you feel there's something truly unique about such a discussion, you may refrain from slapping me if you find me there. But I would err on the side of slapping, myself.)

If anyone else on these forums would like to be included in the DRM/Piracy slap-out, please indicate so in this thread.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-19-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've already decided that DRM and piracy is a similar topic to religion, politic and sport (football in Spain)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm with Terisa. I avoid those discussions like the plague. With all due respect to everyone's individual opinions, I've read them all about a hundred times apiece, there's no changing any of their minds short of a lobotomy, so why waste my energy?

However, Steve, I'll be happy to slap you...*evil grin*.

Last edited by phenomshel; 10-19-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: to add a kind offer to slap Steve...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Add me to the list, I pretty much skip over piracy and DRM threads.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Mmm, is a thread about the pointlessness of threads about DRM and piracy itself a thread about DRM and piracy, and hence ex hypothesi, pointless?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Mmm, is a thread about the pointlessness of threads about DRM and piracy itself a thread about DRM and piracy, and hence ex hypothesi, pointless?
No: This is a thread encouraging MR members to help me avoid such threads!

In fact, I'm not necessarily saying they're pointless... just that I don't want to keep getting sucked into them...
Old 10-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post

If anyone else on these forums would like to be included in the DRM/Piracy slap-out, please indicate so in this thread.
Oh! Oh! Add me - I'm against both and not an eloquent enough speaker to say much in those threads that hasn't already been said anyway - and betterer too

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I'm with Terisa. I avoid those discussions like the plague. With all due respect to everyone's individual opinions, I've read them all about a hundred times apiece, there's no changing any of their minds short of a lobotomy, so why waste my energy?
Unfortunately I get sucked into those on occasion because someone will say something so incredibly, mind bogglingly, outrageously stupid (at least in my opinion) I can't help myself
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I often feel bad for days, when I read in such threads many well-written posts of very intelligent and nice people, whose opinions nevertheless are quite opposite to mine, and still I'm so sure about my point of view that, if no one else mentions it, I have to write and contradict, and possibly hurt them, as the discussion looks so wrong without it. I hate it, but I'm still doing it.
(The fact that I learned English at relatively late age of 15 doesn't help me expressing my thoughts clearly either.)
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I have no interest in DRM except for its prompt removal. I do not consort with or condone piracy.

This does not make a sparkling addition to the forever raging DRM threads, so I deign not to venture there.

It is the political discussions I need a slap-out for. No mind, however grossly ill-informed, has ever been changed in an internet flame war discussion.

But sometimes they are so hard to resist...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Unfortunately I get sucked into those on occasion because someone will say something so incredibly, mind bogglingly, outrageously stupid (at least in my opinion) I can't help myself
Sadly so do I but, then again, some of the nonsense I see is hilarious!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
both jeannie's and dsvick postings fit here too
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
both jeannie's and dsvick postings fit here too
???.......
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
WORD.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #14
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I often feel bad for days, when I read in such threads many well-written posts of very intelligent and nice people, whose opinions nevertheless are quite opposite to mine, and still I'm so sure about my point of view that, if no one else mentions it, I have to write and contradict, and possibly hurt them, as the discussion looks so wrong without it. I hate it, but I'm still doing it.
(The fact that I learned English at relatively late age of 15 doesn't help me expressing my thoughts clearly either.)
Don't feel so bad KG - it's a discussion forum; if people didn't want to read of your views they could go and have a real life instead of hanging around here

Last edited by TGS; 10-20-2010 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Typo
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I suppose I should be added to the list... I've been going at it like a rabid dog for the last couple of days.

At least I know I'm right
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, piracy