Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Has my 505 died

Hi all, this evening i went to use my reader which i hadnt used in about 3 days but it had 3 bars of charge, when i opened the cover i saw thick black lines over the screen and patches of grey. I have tried to reset it but nothing happens. any ideas or advice? i brought it new whe they first come out.

Thanks

Kev
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
MRW
MRW began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 600
Hi Kevin,

I believe the battery is down

connect your reader to the charger or to the usb port of your computer. May it takes several minutes until the reader starts to show you "charging" or the computer shows you that it has detecet the reader.

regards
Michael
MRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it is a dead battery, you will need to charge it via an AC adapter. USB doesn't work when the battery is dead.

Please take a photo of the screen. It sounds like possibly a broken screen. But No way to know until we can see. But if charging it via AC fixes it, then it's not a broken screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

505 is screen broke

here is the picture of my screen found it like this after not using for about 3 days.

if screen is broke not sure what to do because i havnt droped it and its always in a cover. I wanted to upgrade but think they should last longer than a couple of years. My £500 Samsung TV developed a fault shortly after the warrenty expired now this with the Sony reader, its almost enough to make me go back to a CRT TV which lasts 10 times longer and dare i say it, real books! I have been looking at the Kindle, dont think ill go back to a Sony if i decide to get another Ereader. maybe if the Warrenty was 3 years it would inspire confidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201_0036.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	59536  

Last edited by kevinofengland; 10-08-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: picture
Old 10-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Looks like a broken screen to me. Sorry.

As far as "it should last longer than two years", the screens don't break from age. They break from being twisted, dropped, or bent. Any e-ink reader will have the same fragility of the screen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Did you try to charge it?

Last edited by doreenjoy; 10-08-2010 at 05:04 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
I have been looking at the Kindle, dont think ill go back to a Sony if i decide to get another Ereader. maybe if the Warrenty was 3 years it would inspire confidence.
The K1/K2 use the exact same screen as the 505. The K3 uses the same screen as the 650. So a Kindle is not any better as far as the fragility of the screen goes. In fact, maybe less so due to the plastic housing used by Amazon vs the aluminum housing used by Sony.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, I don't know if any warranties will cover a broken screen.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #8
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

Im gonna go for a Kindle

Decided to go for a Kindle, is it possible to convert all my sony reader books to kindle and if it is is it automatic and do they look as good formated nicely i mean?

thanks
Kev
Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Decided to go for a Kindle, is it possible to convert all my sony reader books to kindle and if it is is it automatic and do they look as good formated nicely i mean?

thanks
Kev
Do you know how to strip DRM? If not, you won't have access to your ePub nor will you be able to take out eBooks from your local library should it have them. Easiest solution, cancel the K3 and get a 650.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:

thanks
Kev

I know you're disappointed, but you might reconsider per JSWolf's comments above.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you know how to strip DRM? If not, you won't have access to your ePub nor will you be able to take out eBooks from your local library should it have them. Easiest solution, cancel the K3 and get a 650.
Most of my books are out of copyright, very few have DRM. Im tempted by the kindle as its much cheaper.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Most of my books are out of copyright, very few have DRM. Im tempted by the kindle as its much cheaper.
If DRM is not an issue, then Calibre will be able to convert them pretty easily. If you have enough though, you might want to set up a batch script to do it.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

I tried converting with Calibre, selected 10 books and it managed o do 5 quickly and stuck on the others it was taking over 10 mins per book so i stopped it. ive been loking at the Sony 650 at John Lewis there offering a free 1 year accidental damage guarantee which starts after the manufacturers ends. Not sure which to get now. I like the idea of beeing able to download a book anywhere on the planet (not that i go away much though) but i also like the touch screen function on the 650.

Help!

kev
Old 10-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Due to geographical restrictions on ebook sales, with a Kindle you *can't* buy books worldwide via wireless. Just an FYI.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
kevinofengland
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Due to geographical restrictions on ebook sales, with a Kindle you *can't* buy books worldwide via wireless. Just an FYI.
Thats ok dont really go away much. I ordered the Kindle 3g Wifi should be here in 4 days. Just have to mke sure my children dont drop it.