Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
ufasoli
ufasoli began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Change PDF body font size

Hello all,
I'm quite new to the Ebook world ( I bought a Sony PRS-505 2 weeks ago) and I'm quite happy with it. My only problem is that I have a pretty bad sight and when I read PDF my eyes get tired pretty quickly. I was wondering if there was a way to change the font size for the body of an existing PDF file either by using a software or a library or API

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English

ufasoli
ufasoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
If you have a PDF book that contains only text, you might want to try http://www.majgaj.com/ebook
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
ufasoli

Hi, thanks for your answer, but the PDF has some images in it that I would like to keep.

The only solution that I found (beside copying everything to word, then rearrange the whole layout before saving it as a PDF file) is to convert the PDF to a postscript file and then change the font size inside before recreating the PDF although the result is not optimal
Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
What does it look like if you just zoom the font in the 505?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
ufasoli

It's a pretty complex layout so when I zoom the font the layout goes crazy and I end up having the page numbers in the middle of the page
Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
I don;t think there is any simple solution. Exporting, re-formating and re-importing is your best bet...especially if the format and layout is important. PDF is meant to be a static format, so changing the font size does funky things, even with re-flow enabled.

A couple of suggestions I'd give you is:

- Use landscape mode
- Use SoPDF to crop any whitespace on pages and to also cut a page into 2 pages. You can also use it to rotate the PDF. If you check the SoPDF thread, someone has released a GUI for it which makes it very easy to use
- If not SoPDF, try to use some software to cut out the margins and any unnecessary whitespace. It will increase the font size in the reader since it won't be wasting space displaying the margins.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
ufasoli

Yes, after playing a bit with the different programs around I've realised that the only solution to keep the layout and have a bigger font size is to export it to Word then alter the document size before recreating a PDF.

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I think life without Word could be possible.

When I have to deal with a PDF book in A4 size, I usually try these ways:
- Using Acrobat to save as HTML 4.0
If it fails because of rights, of badly formatted text or whatever, then...
- Using FineReader 9 to save as HTML 4.0

The first one is the best because I get a perfect output (with an xml hypertext table ) but the second one is quite satisfying too though longer.

After that, I insert the HTML output in a specially designed OpenOffice model with Sony 9x12 cm format. Usually I have a little tweaking to do, like changing the main font to suit my habits (using the "Stylist" or F11 and right-click, then "modify"), checking these images bigger than the screen size...

Then I export it like a PDF and I modify the metadata with a special freeware program (not Calibre...) and upload directly to my Reader. I know there are other good choices for this last step, like using calibre to get an epub...

Last edited by roger64; 10-15-2009 at 06:41 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #9
ufasoli

Actually I never thought of Open Office, as I'm more used to Microsoft Word. I will definitively give it a try this weekend to see what I get. Could you just tell me what do you mean by :
"After that, I insert the HTML output in a specially designed OpenOffice model with Sony 9x12 cm format"
I'm really not familiar with Open Office

again
Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use OpenOffice 3.1

You need to create a new template , give it a name, determine its size, margins, font, language and so on...

Here is my Sony 505 one.
Its place is in the folder openoffice.org/3/user/template/9x12 Sony.ott
Its name is 9x12 Sony.ott and it appears under the Sony name when you open it.
I just join it in a zip file as a possible example. You have to uncompress it and put in the the above designated folder.

Once ready, you open a new document using this template, and you just need to insert the HTML file into it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 9x12 Sony.ott.zip (7.0 KB, 988 views)

Last edited by roger64; 10-16-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
ufasoli

Thank you very much for your help, I tried what you've told me using your template, and it worked perfectly, I had a few adjustments regarding the fonts but everything else was perfect.

Thank you very much
Old 10-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufasoli View Post

Thank you very much
You're welcome

Tags
change, font size, pdf