Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #16
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
reveal is quite easy, once developer package is installed.
Of course it is easy once the developer package is installed. However as far as I read he wrote about doing it wihout having the developer package installed. And this is bullshit.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 AM   #17
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I think joyceshi did all this with developer package installed. And once dev pkg installed, she can reflah iLiad to Europe version OS, and then choose to upgrade to China version OS or Europe ver.
It seems reasonable.

If joyceshi mentioned that she can do this without a developer package installed, I guess she means that she can reflash iLiad to Europe OS (of course there is no devloper package after reflashed). Then she can get a developer package from iDS directly without redirecting. After obtained developer package, she can choose to be a China version or Europe version iLiad with developer package installed.

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-26-2008 at 06:02 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #18
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Another thing to note:
From tthe thread in China iRex forum (http://irexreader.cn/bbs/viewthread....extra=page%3D1) telling how to reflash Chinese iLiad, I didn't see any registry hacking required after reflashing to Europe version OS.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #19
booklover
Enthusiast
booklover began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd ed.
Quote:
she can reflash iLiad to Europe OS (of course there is no devloper package after reflashed). Then she can get a developer package from iDS directly without redirecting.
I don't think he can get the developer package from iDS directly WITHOUT redirecting. According to the IRex China forum 'how to reflash' thread, after reflashing, you can NOT get the develper package directly. Because It still connects directly to the China iDS. So you still need the 'redirect' trick to work around.

What we worry is that whether IRex NL will close this backdoor. I won't be surprised if they do, considering their persistent rejection to Chinese user's requests of the developer package. That's where Joyce's thought of disguising the Chinese version as an Europe one may help, I think.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #20
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post
I don't think he can get the developer package from iDS directly WITHOUT redirecting. According to the IRex China forum 'how to reflash' thread, after reflashing, you can NOT get the develper package directly. Because It still connects directly to the China iDS. So you still need the 'redirect' trick to work around.
Can Chinese users reflash without getting the developer package, or connecting to the other IDS?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #21
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover View Post
I said "she can get the developer package without redirecting" because after reflashing, Chinese iLiad is installed with a Europe OS.

Let me restate my conjecture:
A Chinese iLiad can get developer package by redirecting.
A iLiad (Europe or Chinese) with developer package can do reflashing.
After reflashing (using the rom image from Europe iRex), iLiad is Europe version. Then users can get developer package without redirecting.
After obtained developer package, users can choose to upgrade to Europe version OS (without redirecting) or China version OS (redirecting to China iDS required).
After upgrading to the most up-to-date OS, switch to other version OS can only be done by reflashing (downgrade).

Last edited by ericshliao; 09-26-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #22
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Can Chinese users reflash without getting the developer package, or connecting to the other IDS?
From the thread in China iRex Forum, I think developer pacakge is required for China version iLiad to do reflashing.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #23
ericshliao
Guru

I will try to reflash and upgrade to Chinese version iLiad the next time when my iLiad (Europe version) hangs and requires a reflasing.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #24
joyceshi
joyceshi began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Quote:
After reflashing (using the rom image from Europe iRex), iLiad is Europe version. Then users can get developer package without redirecting.
Unfortunately, this assumption is incorrect. The chinese version is still chinese version after reflashing, but without font and encoding files installed. The region information is not read from the file system (e.g., /etc/er_region), but directly from the rom.
joyceshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #25
joyceshi
joyceshi began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Quote:
So, it seems that Europe version iLiad can be changed to China version OS. The workaround is reflashing by using Europe version OS image, then upgrade to up-to-date China version OS by redirecting iLiad to China iDS instead of Europe iDS. Then iLiad's OS is changed to China version. Users can obtain developer package just as a normal China version iLiad by redirecting to Europe iDS.
Unfortunately, the approach does not work. Actually, a chinese version redirected to European server will get a reduced version, i.e., no chinese font, no chinese IME, no mobipocket and jre. It is only after the tweak can the a chinese iLiad obtain the full european package.
joyceshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #26
ericshliao
Guru

Well, at least I can be sure that China iLiad also use the same rom image to reflash as Europe iLiad.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
So... is it possible to get an iLiad to have both English and Chinese HWR at the same time?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
booklover
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, at least I can be sure that China iLiad also use the same rom image to reflash as Europe iLiad.
You should notice that IRex has NEVER granted any developer package to China iliad users. Thus China iliad has NOT any rom image to reflash with. There is only one rom image to use for reflashing. And that's for the Europe version. Only after disguising as a Europe visitor, can a Chinese iliad gain access to the developer package and not surprisingly, the European rom image.

But yes, Chinese iliad CAN, fortunately, reflash with the rom image, the one which is intended for Europe iliad.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #29
booklover
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
So... is it possible to get an iLiad to have both English and Chinese HWR at the same time?
According to Joyce, it seems, he did. see post#6.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #30
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It wasn't clear to me that the English HWR was installed as well as the Chinese HWR being retained. I'd like to confirm that, if possible. Then I need to know if there's any way to get the Chinese firmware installed on a European iLiad.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote