Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Overdrive question

My library is member of a group of libraries that have Overdrive available. In addition to books that are available to the group, individual libraries can order additional copies if an ebook is popular.

I'm on the waitlist for one such group. I'm currently number 98, the group has purchased 5 titles, and when I log into my account, I see 6 titles have been purchased.

Is there anyway I can see where I am on the waitlist for the additional titles my library has purchased?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
In your account look under "Holds".
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
In your account look under "Holds".
I logged into my account, and it says:

Quote:
You are patron 321 out of 335 on the waiting list.
*Waiting list may be shorter for your library.
Library copies owned: 6
So I don't see anything specific for my library?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have also seen that "waiting list may be shorter for your library" on a few books I've put on hold. I don't know of any way to find out number on the actual the list for "your library".

In my case, the numbers weren't so high (I think I was number 5 out of 10 or something like that) and I did end up getting the book pretty quickly.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I logged into my account, and it says:

So I don't see anything specific for my library?
You are going to be waiting for that eBook for just over 2 years if you library has a maximum of 14-days borrow. If the maximum borrow time is 21-days, then it's just over 3 years.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are going to be waiting for that eBook for just over 2 years if you library has a maximum of 14-days borrow. If the maximum borrow time is 21-days, then it's just over 3 years.
That would be assuming all checkouts are for the maximum and that no one returns a book early.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That would be assuming all checkouts are for the maximum and that no one returns a book early.
And not knowing what the meaning of "*".
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Most people do borrow at the default of the maximum time the library allows. Most people do not know you can return early or even how.

Say it is 21-days maximum and some do know about early return and changing the borrow time. It would still be a wait time of between 2 & 3 years.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My library waits always go much faster than predicted. I think many people just don't redeem them. They forget about the holds and don't see the emails. My library only gives you 2 days to respond to the notification.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've one library that gives me 5 days to collect the eBook, one that gives me 3 days and the rest as 2 days.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My library waits always go much faster than predicted.
Mine also.

This is one reason that the 3M system, which does not send email reminders, is almost unusable. They told me a book would be available in a specfic number of days. I put in a calendar reminder to check back about a week before, but I was too late.

Now it's available in 16 days
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My library waits always go much faster than predicted. I think many people just don't redeem them. They forget about the holds and don't see the emails. My library only gives you 2 days to respond to the notification.
I've usually found the wait times to be shorter than expected also. I know one reason (because I do it all the time) is that many people have access to several library systems and will put the same book on hold at multiple sites. Once it becomes available at one site, the holds at the other libraries become unnecessary, and either get removed or (probably more commonly) just ignored, which then shortens the wait times for the people farther down the list.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
LupaSola
LupaSola began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle on iPad Mini
I never waited more than a month for a book that I've put on hold through overdrive.
LupaSola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've waited several months for books where there only 4 people ahead of me on the list. I imagine they each kept it the full 3 weeks. It's not unusual at all and these are older books from the 40s and 50s. These older books only have 1-4 copies max. Newer bestsellers can have as many as 150 copies though, and I imagine those wait lists go quicker.

Knowing about that waiting period makes me always return the book immediately when I'm done, last book I had out only 2 days... it was over the weekend and I read straight through it. I think a lot of people wait until the period has expired and just let it drop off their reader to return it instead of making the effort to return finished books early.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Knowing about that waiting period makes me always return the book immediately when I'm done, last book I had out only 2 days... it was over the weekend and I read straight through it. I think a lot of people wait until the period has expired and just let it drop off their reader to return it instead of making the effort to return finished books early.
I don't think it's a lack of effort. I think they don't know you can return eBooks early.