Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #106
Zema
Zema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Looking into source code I understood what my fault was. I copied opt/jbpatch directly into device (/opt/jbpatch) instead of copying opt/jbpatch to USB drive. Although I have not found the code that moves /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch to /var/local, I suppose installer should make it somehow, shouldn't it?
Zema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #107
deep
Enthusiast
deep began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I was wondering where I should look for incase we need a no page refresh patch while panning pdf documents
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #108
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zema View Post
Looking into source code I understood what my fault was. I copied opt/jbpatch directly into device (/opt/jbpatch) instead of copying opt/jbpatch to USB drive. Although I have not found the code that moves /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch to /var/local, I suppose installer should make it somehow, shouldn't it?
No. The system permanently checks for new or changed files in /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch and synchronizes them to /var/local. This is not really nice, I know, but it's the only solution I found to the problem that /mnt/us is not accessible when the Kindle is booted while plugged to a computer.

That is also the reason why the README says "if it's not working as expected right after installation, reboot again" (or so).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #109
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
No. The system permanently checks for new or changed files in /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch and synchronizes them to /var/local. This is not really nice, I know, but it's the only solution I found to the problem that /mnt/us is not accessible when the Kindle is booted while plugged to a computer.

That is also the reason why the README says "if it's not working as expected right after installation, reboot again" (or so).
I do not know if it would help you, but my "universal" mntus.params payload handles the "usb drive not mounted" problem by mounting /mnt/us itself before calling RUNME.sh. Perhaps you can do something similar. It can be downloaded in the "select boot" thread (linked from the "simple debricking" sticky). Here is the portion of the script that calls RUNME.sh:
PHP Code:
mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime,offset=8192 /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt/us
[ -/mnt/us/RUNME.sh -! -/mnt/us/RUNME.done ] && (

touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
  sh 
/mnt/us/RUNME.sh 2>&>/mnt/us/RUNME.out
)
umount -/mnt/us 
I see that I wrote that before I switched to using the double-bracket "[[" conditional intrinsic function in all my later scripts.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-24-2012 at 09:40 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #110
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I do not know if it would help you, but my "universal" mntus.params payload handles the "usb drive not mounted" problem by mounting /mnt/us itself before calling RUNME.sh.
Thanks for the hint, but no... it's already too late at the point where the framework is started. Remember, this only applies if the Kindle is starting up while being connected to a computer as a USB drive. Then, the system actually reports the file system as mounted, but it's simply empty. As soon as the user unplugs/ejects the drive from the computer, files appear. I don't know how exactly they solved this, but it makes perfect sense: it is a very bad idea to access the same filesystem concurrently (especially with FAT, which is pretty fragile anyway).

I saw only two solutions to access the patches directly from the userstore:
1. block until files become available. This works, in principle. But a) the startup will simply hang until the user ejects the drive, and b) if that takes too long (>60 seconds or so), the device will actually reboot because it (rightfully) determined that the framework did not start up.
2. Find a way to forcefully eject the drive. Again, a) I don't know how to reliably do this, and b) worse, this might make it impossible to debrick a device.

This is why I went for the "shadow copy" solution. Note that it is really only relevant if the first boot directly after the installation happens with the Kindle attached to the computer. In all other cases, jbpatch will have had a chance to synchronize the files before it starts up.

And of course, it's all documented (not technically, but describing for laymen "what to do"), both in the README, and the CONFIG.TXT
Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #111
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I love the libraries and frameworks that come out and have come out. The only thing that concerns me with these things is the way that newb developers or those without a lot of knowledge can go as far as releasing an app. Issues start to popup left and right and the developer has done nothing more than sit in front of a GUI for an hour and pay their $25 Android fee. I am not referring to this framework, or to the developer of this framework.
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #112
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Then, the system actually reports the file system as mounted, but it's simply empty. As soon as the user unplugs/ejects the drive from the computer, files appear. I don't know how exactly they solved this, but it makes perfect sense: it is a very bad idea to access the same filesystem concurrently (especially with FAT, which is pretty fragile anyway).
Yes and No.

Under Linux you can mount a device holding a file system multiple times.
No harm in that, the file system operations are 'atomic' at the user level (they block the requesting process until they complete).
There are exceptions to that general rule, but VFAT isn't one of them.

With a device holding a file system mounted multiple times, if the file system isn't designed to deal with "function clashes" (such as name clashes, two processes, one deleting a name, one creating the same name - etc), and VFAT isn't, then as a programmer, you just have to avoid that situation.

Just avoid modifications to a file name that might be expected to be unchanging when the <whatever> views the file system from the other mount point.
But even if such a "function clash" happens, only one of them will win the race, the file system will survive (and record only the winner).

One other thing to keep in mind -
The possibility of a mis-leading message. Where you are getting a "mounted" indication might only be a "device busy".

umount -l (ell) can help in such a situation.
But the "other" application might error out when it tries to unmount (expecting that the filesystem only needs to be unmounted once, rather than twice or twenty times).
At which point I would have to agree - something is probably going to "hang" or "crash" if it is written to expect a file system to stop being busy with a single unmount command.

lsof might also be of help in this situation.
I admit, I don't know what information it will return for a file system OTG exported - but it should have something useful to say. (along with ps aux)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #113
ixtab
(offline)

No Ads - revamped

Here comes the revamped no-ads patch... essentially an overhauled version of this one.

This new version also removes the screen saver ads without requiring user intervention.

INSTALLATION: Make sure that you have at least jbpatch 1.3.0 installed. Unzip the attached file, copy ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch to opt/jbpatch on the Kindle. Make sure that opt/jbpatch/CONFIG.TXT contains a line to activate "ixtab_ksonoads-5.1.0.jbpatch". Finally, restart the Kindle.

Upgrading: If you are already using the old version of the patch, make sure that you have at least jbpatch 1.3.0 installed, then just overwrite the jbpatch file, and restart.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-25-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #114
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I deleted the old ksonoads and removed it from the CONFIG file, and I installed the new one. My K5 had a full charge (green LED, plugged into USB for two days). After installing the new noads hack, it rebooted to a "dead battery" screen, with usbnet off and showing up as an empty USB drive (low power mode). A long power hold reset reboots to "dead battery" mode. It is acting like a dead battery. But it was plugged in and (supposedly) fully charged. it went from indicating a full charge, to completely empty, during a reboot. I will plug it into a power cube now...

Perhaps the version of 5.1.0 firmware that I have installed lies about the battery state, and it completely discharged my battery while reporting that it had a full charge. Even fastboot does not work. I will need to leave it on a wall charger for awhile so that fastboot mode can work again. What good is a green LED with a dead battery in 5.1.0 ?

Could the noads hack somehow prevent screensaver powerdown mode from operating in certain conditions? The last thing I had run was the demo in the tcc package, and it pauses and resumes the framework. I tend to suspect the firmware, but it is worth considering other possible causes in any case.

It is on a wall charger now. I will check it again in the morning. Sleep now.

UPDATE: It is in fastboot mode now, but still acting like a dead battery. I will let it continue charging in fastboot mode. Good night.

Why are these things so darned delicate? It seems that they brick if you look at them wrong, and the latest firmware update did not help, and perhaps made it worse. I will have to test this noads patch after my kindle decides it wants to boot again.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-25-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #115
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
I deleted the old ksonoads and removed it from the CONFIG file, and I installed the new one. My K5 had a full charge (green LED, plugged into USB for two days). After installing the new noads hack, it rebooted to a "dead battery" screen, with usbnet off and showing up as an empty USB drive (low power mode). A long power hold reset reboots to "dead battery" mode. It is acting like a dead battery. But it was plugged in and (supposedly) fully charged. it went from indicating a full charge, to completely empty, during a reboot. I will plug it into a power cube now...
Ouch....

thanks for testing it.

There seems to be a problem with the screensaver (setting "ad_screensaver" vs "screensaver", see <tt>/etc/upstart/framework_setup.conf</tt> (or the source code of this patch, for that matter)), but I had hoped to have sort it out (had all sorts of crashes, restarts, etc. before).

It seems like you hit one of those cases where it crashed... Dammit. I'll look into it, and until then, I'll retire the published file. Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #116
geekmaster

Quote:
Ouch....

thanks for testing it.

There seems to be a problem with the screensaver (setting "ad_screensaver" vs "screensaver", see <tt>/etc/upstart/framework_setup.conf</tt> (or the source code of this patch, for that matter)), but I had hoped to have sort it out (had all sorts of crashes, restarts, etc. before).

It seems like you hit one of those cases where it crashed... Dammit. I'll look into it, and until then, I'll retire the published file. Thanks again!
No problem. After all, I know people who know how to debrick these things.

EDIT: It will not even boot to diags with MfgTool. It had to charge awhile to even get to fastboot mode. It really does act like a totally dead battery. I did have the previous noads hack installed. Is there any way that it could have prevented charging while in screensaver mode, while causing the LED to stay green?

The only hacks I have installed on this besides jbpatch patches are jailbreak, simple usbnet, and the launcher menu. I am just curious why my battery charger function seems to have failed recently, when the only recent hack was the previous ksonoads patch. That seems to be a different problem than just the failed reboot.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #117
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why are these things so darned delicate? It seems that they brick if you look at them wrong, and the latest firmware update did not help, and perhaps made it worse. I will have to test this noads patch after my kindle decides it wants to boot again.
Guess #1 - Your SoC is running with the SoCVDD set too low:
http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cg...09.08_11.11.01
(Too low an internal VDD ruins the noise margins on the internal signals with the external effect of adding a bit of randomness to the device's function.)

In technically correct terms: "darned delicate".

Note that engineering change @ Freescale was made 6 months ago, but...
Such things take time to "trickle down" to the customer level.

Anyone here that can take a look at the Amazon released u-boot code and see if that two line change has made it into what the Kindle(s) are running?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #118
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Anyone here that can take a look at the Amazon released u-boot code and see if that two line change has made it into what the Kindle(s) are running?
I made the patched u-boots used with MfgTool in the select boot thread, so when I get time I could look into it. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Your link is to an MX6 specific u-boot patch that does not apply here. I am looking other places in the source tree now...

UPDATE: It looks like the generic.c that was patched is for the iMX6. In the freescale git source tree for the i.MX50, the generic.c date (2009-08) matches the one in the kindle source tree. So AFAIK it does not apply to the K4 or K5 u-boot. I would tend to blame kernel problems at this point, rather than u-boot.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-25-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #119
geekmaster

My K5 boots to diags now, after it charged in fastboot mode for awhile.

There is still the issue of what caused the battery to drain completely, with a green LED, while it was in screensaver mode and connected to the host PC with usbnet enabled (but no SSH connections).

It is rebooting to the main desktop now. It is up. Hmm. The status bar shows the battery almost empty. Plugging in USB changes the status bar icon to "charging" just before switching the display to "USB Drive Mode".

So. It is alive. It really was a dead battery. Why was it dead, while connected to USB, in screensaver mode, with a green LED? How do we help others who have this problem?

@ixtab: I do not think that your latest noads patch was the problem, but *something* (perhaps the previous noads?) caused my battery to discharge. It could have just been a fluke though, that may not happen again. There are some strange gremlins in some versions of 5.1.0, I think... Which reminds me, we need some way to identify the different 5.1.0 firmware versions -- any ideas? [Is this "firmware version number obfuscation", by any chance? Or did they just give up on firmware versions and go by md5sums of specific files to determine which updates are applied?]

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-26-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #120
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I made the patched u-boots used with MfgTool in the select boot thread, so when I get time I could look into it. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Your link is to an MX6 specific u-boot patch that does not apply here. I am looking other places in the source tree now...
What you see (saw) on that page linked to is all I know about Kindle u-boot.
Which is why I asked on the forum for someone else to check it out.

Two lines of context might be enough for "patch" but my mind needs a bit more context than that.

Initializing an internal voltage regulator to the wrong value when starting the SoC is a serious engineering error. Glad it was for somebody else's product who's bits where getting cooked or being served up half-raw as in this case.

I didn't see any other things marked as "engineering changes" in the last 9 months or so that might cause the sort of SoC instability that seems to be evident. I could have easily missed one though.

Until other info becomes available to the contrary, I have to agree;
The SoC is probably running as intended, the problem is how it is being used (by the firmware) after the SoC gets started up.

Last edited by knc1; 05-26-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks