Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
iPod touch-is it worth it?

I'm thinking of buying an iPod touch for my girlfriend, but told that it is not worth it, because ssd drives are so costly. I've also heard that Apple may be discontinuing it.
What, do you guys think? Is it worth buying one ? What do you use your iPod touch for?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Better off buying a used iPhone 3GS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Probably should wait a bit: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Touch

The problem with the iPhone 3GS (which I still use) is that it isn't an A4 or A5 chip-it is the last of their old processors. The latest iPod Touches, iPhone 4, and both iPads are all A4s or A5s.

I really don't expect future iOS releases past 5 to support anything less than an A4. Actually rather surprised iOS5 supports my iPhone 3GS
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I'm thinking of buying an iPod touch for my girlfriend, but told that it is not worth it, because ssd drives are so costly. I've also heard that Apple may be discontinuing it.
What, do you guys think? Is it worth buying one ? What do you use your iPod touch for?
What does SSD have to do with iPod Touch? The NAND flash is already built-in on the iPod Touch (8GB:$229, 32GB:$299, 64GB:$399) so aside from the cost of the device (and applicable taxes), there shouldn't be extra expense for storage.

I use mine as back-up night reader for my iPhone 4 so I have something to use when my phone's charging. Absolutely love the retina display. I was planning on using my old iPhone 3GS as back-up reader but I've been spoiled by the retina display so I bought a 4th generation iPod Touch instead. It also gets used as remote control for the HTPC, both for Windows Media Center and iTunes.

Is it worth it? For me, yes. Then again, I paid part of the cost with credit card rewards aside from the fact that price was already discounted (care of Amazon). If I had to pay full price for it, then I'd likely be wavering (or waited to get one refurbished from Apple at a deep discount).

However, I bought my iPod Touch earlier in the year so I knew it'll still be a while before Apple releases a new version. Apple historically releases a new version around September so unless you find one at a very nice discount, it's probably worth waiting to see what the new version brings. It's entirely possible that the iPod Touch line might be eliminated in favor of a low-cost prepaid version of the iPhone.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It's entirely possible that the iPod Touch line might be eliminated in favor of a low-cost prepaid version of the iPhone.
As long as data and voice plans remain optional, I might do it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Depends on what she will be using the player for. Will she be cliping it to her belt and running around her home with it? will she be keeping it in a pocket while she walks or drives? How much music will she be keeping on it?

The ipod touch is an excellent player but is not ideally suited for portablility, for that try the Sandisk Sansa Clip, its a real little tike that clips on to her belt as she moves about (its the one on the left below). The Sandisk Sansa Fuze holds more songs then the clip does but can't clip on anywhere but is still more portable then the ipod touch is (its the one in the middle). Will she be keeping a lot of songs on it? then it might be a better idea to look at the Microsoft Zune, the zune is called a hard disk player. Its the one on the right.

Also ipods tend to be a victim of their own sucess. They are easily recongizable and often times people get mugged for them. Do you really want her comming back to you and tell you that she got mugged in a parking lot and her touch taken? The zune, clip and fuze are just as good at playing music however they are not as flashy and not as recongizable as a ipod is and she is not as likely to get mugged becuase of them. For extra security buy the blue or red, they do not look like an ipod or squawk like and ipod does so she is more likely to remain in one piece.

Also another interesting point is the slot music from Sandisk. Its a card that comes with the music already on it, you push it into the player and your done. No downlaoding, no work on the PC, its idiot proof.

zune.net/en-US
http://www.sandisk.com/consumer-products/music-player
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	75367   Click image for larger version

Name:	32896584-2-440-OVR-1.gif
Views:	165
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	75368   Click image for larger version

Name:	zune-hd-leak.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	75369  

Last edited by jbcohen; 08-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
As long as data and voice plans remain optional, I might do it.
They would have to be optional if Apple plans on eliminating the iPod Touch line-up. I'm thinking along the lines of an unlocked phone that you could put any SIM card into but will still work like an iTouch if one is not installed. If it's possible to buy unlocked phones for $50, I don't imagine adding phone capabilities to the iTouch would cost much more. It might be fatter than the current 4th gen iTouch, though.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It might be fatter than the current 4th gen iTouch, though.
That would be a definite step in the right direction. The iPt4 is way too thin. As a result, it has a smaller battery and no room for an AF camera.

I wanted Google Goggles for my touch; but lacking an AF cam, Google said no go. That sucks.

If the touch remains, I'd love to see it gain 5 features: thicker body, larger battery, GPS, compass, AF camera.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That would be a definite step in the right direction. The iPt4 is way too thin.
Lol, same here. It kept slipping from my hands until I got a rubbery silicon case for it. I have fairly small hands and it still wasn't particularly comfortable to hold single handed. Have owned 3 iPhone's (iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4) and I've never had an issue with ergonomics on those.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Her birthday is in November, so I'm not buying it for a few months yet.
I really am looking for a very portable multipurpose device that is easy to use( she is not tech averse, but she wants her tech simple and easy to use). I'm figuring the iPod touch would give her a camera, audiobooks, email,texting, a little music, and maybe a game or two. She has a feature phone, but the camera and audio features are bottom of the line, and the email is worse. She frankly hasn't used any of the audio and email on the phone, it's so clunky.
I'm feeling that the consensus is that there will be a touch 5. I'm I right about that?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have the perfect gift. A Sony Reader with all the Harry Potter eBooks for you GF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have the perfect gift. A Sony Reader with all the Harry Potter eBooks for you GF.
Thanks, but she still likes her print books, although I'm trying to convert her to the dark side . Im hoping the iPod touch will be a gateway drug for her.
Not a Potter fan.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I love my iPod Touch 4th gen. I originally got a 3rd gen, but ended up giving it to my husband, and getting the 4th gen for myself. It is used as a PDA/MP3 player. I play games on it fairly often. I use Docs2Go for keeping lists and other information on the iPod, and have the Kindle app, Bluefire, etc. installed for eBooks (although I seldom read on it). It is nice to have the camera handy, although the picture quality isn't all that great, and options are fairly limited.

The main downside is having to use iTunes for everything.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
It is absolutely worth the money. I bought it for offline wikipedia and I never have used it for songs (LOL). The retina display is just great. There's rumour of next gen iPod getting 3G with it. I would of course recommend it buying instead of android devices.

Although even 4g is such a great device, it's better to wait 2 months for iPod Touch 5g.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I love my iPod touch. Of course, I'm one of those rare people who loves technology but doesn't have a cell phone. It lets me do all the stuff I felt like I was missing out on (apps, apps, apps.)
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote