Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Cadele,

Sounds like you had a rough experience. Sorry I didn't see this earlier, let's see what we can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Putting the Kobo back into upgrade mode worked once but I got the failure messure when I tried to do the upgrade again.
Can you let me know what kind of failure message you got and at what point?

Quote:
Now back to Kobo eReading: anytime. anyplace with 7 bars on bottom of screen but can't get it off that. It won't go back into upgrade mode again. Have rung store and they said I will have to wait 10 days until new stock comes in.
Ok, to get it back into upgrade mode, MENU + CENTER DPAD + RESET (not power, since it's already powered on).

OR if the battery is dead, you can hit MENU + CENTRE DPAD + PLUG IT IN (Requires some dexterity)

Once you have it in upgrade mode, looks like you already know how to force an upgrade, but just in case:

From the Desktop application, in the library view hit CTRL + SHIFT + U

The prompt will come up, it will redownload the update in step 1. Skip ahead all the way to step 5, and connect the eReader in upgrade mode. let it do the upgrade and keep it plugged in even when it tells you to unplug.

Quote:
Grrr. Also, had already purchased more books from Borders and there are no download links. Also phoned about that. I do have an Eco-Reader (slow but bless its little cotton socks it WORKS) but because I can't download my FIVE new books I can't even put them on that. WHAT ARE THEY DOING???!!!
I'm not sure how the Borders website works truth be told, but I do know how the Borders Desktop application works

If you bought them from Borders, you should be able to open up the Borders desktop application, log in with your account and it will pull down the books you have bought.

You can then sync these to your Kobo through the application as well.

Hope that helps.
Sameer.

Last edited by SameerH; 07-21-2010 at 09:49 PM.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Dear SameerH,

Still no luck with the Kobo. The error that I referred to was once the download took place it said that the Kobo was disconnected and to telephone (big red circle warning from memory).

When I did speak to customer support they recommended that I leave it for 4 hours or so and then try again as the server might be busy.

When I went to try again then the Kobo was no longer in upgrade mode and I couldn't get it back to that. I did plug it in to charge as I thought it might then be a battery issue with it having been in that state for 4 hours.

Following that I couldn't get it back into upgrade mode.

Subsequently, I did get it back into upgrade mode by performing CTRL + CENTRE DPAD + PLUG IT IN. That did work but when I did the forced upgrade again it went to the reboot screen but did not progress (I left it plugged into the computer).

I then rang customer support again while it was in that state and they suggested that it could be a low battery problem and to leave it for a whole hour. I was then to unplug the Kobo and reset it with a paperclip.

I followed these instructions but I only got the Read anytime, anywhere screen with the 7 dashes at the bottom.

I rang customer support again who suggested that I uninstall the desktop application, reboot the computer, redownload and install the desktop application and try again.

I did all that, but when it came time to put the Kobo back into upgrade mode again it wouldn't do this. I tried MENU + CENTRE DPAD + POWER, also MENU + CENTRE DPAD + RESET and also MENU + CENTRE DPAD + PLUG IT IN, but none of them worked. (When I do the MENU + CENTRE DPAD + RESET the blue light flashes and it just goes back to the anywhere anytime 7 dashes screen).

Is there anything further you can suggest to raise Lazarus from the dead? I so love the Kobo and want to get it working again with the new software.

On a positive note, I am now so dexterous I could join the circus!

Thanks,
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Dear SameerH,

Still no luck with the Kobo. The error that I referred to was once the download took place it said that the Kobo was disconnected and to telephone (big red circle warning from memory).

When I did speak to customer support they recommended that I leave it for 4 hours or so and then try again as the server might be busy.

When I went to try again then the Kobo was no longer in upgrade mode and I couldn't get it back to that. I did plug it in to charge as I thought it might then be a battery issue with it having been in that state for 4 hours.

Following that I couldn't get it back into upgrade mode.

Subsequently, I did get it back into upgrade mode by performing CTRL + CENTRE DPAD + PLUG IT IN. That did work but when I did the forced upgrade again it went to the reboot screen but did not progress (I left it plugged into the computer).

I then rang customer support again while it was in that state and they suggested that it could be a low battery problem and to leave it for a whole hour. I was then to unplug the Kobo and reset it with a paperclip.

I followed these instructions but I only got the Read anytime, anywhere screen with the 7 dashes at the bottom.

I rang customer support again who suggested that I uninstall the desktop application, reboot the computer, redownload and install the desktop application and try again.

I did all that, but when it came time to put the Kobo back into upgrade mode again it wouldn't do this. I tried MENU + CENTRE DPAD + POWER, also MENU + CENTRE DPAD + RESET and also MENU + CENTRE DPAD + PLUG IT IN, but none of them worked. (When I do the MENU + CENTRE DPAD + RESET the blue light flashes and it just goes back to the anywhere anytime 7 dashes screen).

Is there anything further you can suggest to raise Lazarus from the dead? I so love the Kobo and want to get it working again with the new software.

On a positive note, I am now so dexterous I could join the circus!

Thanks,
Hi cadele, that's disappointing, thought for sure we'd have the problem licked.

Email me please at shasan at kobobooks dot com, we'll make sure you're taken care of.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #19
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Dear Sameer,

Thanks for your help. Borders finally got in the new stock and I have picked up my replacement Kobo - so far all working fine. Am a happy bunny again!
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 AM   #20
Marcels
Marcels began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
It's still sad to see that people have to get their Kobo's replaced at the store due to firmware upgrade failures. This can't be good for anyone, not Kobo, the stores and definitely not the customers.

I really hope that the next firmware can be release in a way that avoids these issues. Even if they are only experienced by a few people, it still tarnishes a great product.
Marcels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 AM   #21
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcels View Post
It's still sad to see that people have to get their Kobo's replaced at the store due to firmware upgrade failures. This can't be good for anyone, not Kobo, the stores and definitely not the customers.

I really hope that the next firmware can be release in a way that avoids these issues. Even if they are only experienced by a few people, it still tarnishes a great product.
In fact, it is not a matter of firmware itself, but the way it was done.
Too many things interfere. At least, I'd point at usb. So many implemen-
tations. Different operating systems. Various manufacturers.
I see just one way to stay with head over the water: SD card.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote