Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have a feeling they have changed things for ebooks across the board. Harlequin is one of the few publishers that charges the same for print books and ebooks. The libraries I have access to in IL used to buy all of the Harlequin books. All of a sudden, they stopped. I imagine Harlequin came out with some draconian rules concerning library ebooks. Or jacked the price up significantly.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Well that is a bummer.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #18
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I have a feeling they have changed things for ebooks across the board. Harlequin is one of the few publishers that charges the same for print books and ebooks. The libraries I have access to in IL used to buy all of the Harlequin books. All of a sudden, they stopped. I imagine Harlequin came out with some draconian rules concerning library ebooks. Or jacked the price up significantly.
Their ebooks are usually less expensive than print via their site. And their books now have very limited library checkouts as they were bought out by Harper Collins a while back.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Their library stuff changed quite a while back when Harper Collins bought them. HC's library pricing is not more than hardcover pricing and often less, but limited to 26 loans before a library must repurchase.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-30-2018 at 02:06 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #20
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Yeah I have loads of books from the Harlequin site as well as Kobo. Guess I better back them all up? Ugh, what are they doing?!

Reading through all the posts here and the romance forum it would seem I won’t be able to download ebooks from Harlequin to my Kobo anymore. Unless it supports their new app whoch I doubt. Bummer, I’ll still read them but it means no more freebies from Harlequin anymore which doesn’t matter cause their my rewards program is kinda sucks the last year anyway. I assume I’d still be able to buy them from Kobo hopefully.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 10-30-2018 at 01:22 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #21
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I wonder if it would be possible to grab the EPUB from the app, stick it in Dropbox, and then be able to get it out on another device. I've done that before with a couple of app exclusive ebooks from another publisher. Will have to test that out after they make the change. The app has to be able to at least temporarily download the ebook for offline reading.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to grab the EPUB from the app, stick it in Dropbox, and then be able to get it out on another device. I've done that before with a couple of app exclusive ebooks from another publisher. Will have to test that out after they make the change. The app has to be able to at least temporarily download the ebook for offline reading.
Definitely something to check once the switch is made.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #23
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I assume I’d still be able to buy them from Kobo hopefully.
I sent an email earlier, but still waiting to hear back. So while it may seem silly, I verified this with the chat option. They said, yes, books would still be available from Kobo, Google Play, and BAM.*

*Those were the only stores I mentioned, so they may also be available elsewhere.

It's interesting that there is no mention of this on the Mills & Boon site. So will this be US only or are we just first?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #24
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I sent an email earlier, but still waiting to hear back. So while it may seem silly, I verified this with the chat option. They said, yes, books would still be available from Kobo, Google Play, and BAM.*

*Those were the only stores I mentioned, so they may also be available elsewhere.

It's interesting that there is no mention of this on the Mills & Boon site. So will this be US only or are we just first?
Good to know as I only buy them from the Kobo store. The ones from the Harlequin site are just the freebies which I haven't been able to get lately anyways since you can only earn points from buying books now.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Hard to say. Mills & Boon uses LibreDigital, not OverDrive, so...
Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #26
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
So does that mean if you do not have an internet connection, you can't read your books purchased from Harlequin? The new system works only if online even when using their app?

I'm glad I don't read romance nor do I buy from Harlequin, but that sure would drive me away from them permanently if I did.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
So does that mean if you do not have an internet connection, you can't read your books purchased from Harlequin? The new system works only if online even when using their app?
The do specifically mention that off-line reading is possible with the app.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #28
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Simon & Schuster uses Glose for their ebook fulfillment.

Harper Collins used Bookshout in the past for theirs.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 AM   #29
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The answer I just got back by email is:

"Hi there, after we transition it will no longer be possible to download ebooks using ADE. If you wish to have a physical copy of your ebooks please download them all to ADE before November 12. If you do not download them, you will still always have access to your books through the Harlequin Bookshelf and new app (requires internet connection), however, you can do offline reading as well. Thanks!

--

SM from Harlequin.com"
Love how they are calling a digital file container a “physical copy”? Looks like the digital age is just too much for some of the digital content providers...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is a sad day indeed. I knew when Harpercollins bought Harlequin it could be their doom. I see more and more decline closing of lines and now this. They did not give up enough advance notice for those who have hundreds of books there. If you excessively use your account you can get locked out and have to email customer support to regain access which can take days especially on weekends.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote