Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
pleiadesc
Enthusiast
pleiadesc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It really depends on what you're doing. I actually have run some batch import tests and there was a huge speed up keeping the Calibre library on a separate drive from the OS when using mechanical disks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=17

I'm happy to keep my full Calibre libraries on SSD. I also use one of my older SSDs for quick copies/backups. I do backup to HDD, but that's more like a scheduled overnight task or when I'm not pressed for time. Not a need to make a copy and get out in 5 minutes kinda thing.
for sharing your test to us!
pleiadesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
It really depends on what you're doing. I actually have run some batch import tests and there was a huge speed up keeping the Calibre library on a separate drive from the OS when using mechanical disks.
Yep, putting your library on a separate disk helps a lot. Replacing that dedicated disk with an SSD doesn't do all that much extra. Write actions are a bit (batch import) to a lot (batch OPF writing) faster, that's about it.

To cut a long story short:

To speed up Calibre operations, put your library on a separate disk if it isn't already. That's where the big win is. If it already is, don't bother upgrading that disk to an SSD just for Calibre; the gains aren't really worth it IMHO.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote