Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Do you listen to music when writing?

For me, it's weird. The right music is useful for setting the mood, but when I'm writing, it's distracting, and I find that finding the "right" music a wonderful time waster. LOL! not unlike this question!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
No, I don't. I doubt if I'd hear it, anyway.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
For me, it's weird. The right music is useful for setting the mood, but when I'm writing, it's distracting, and I find that finding the "right" music a wonderful time waster. LOL! not unlike this question!
Sounds like me. I'll often start with music playing, but about five minutes in I find it too distracting. I have trouble shutting out background noise (especially music). As for the "right" music, for a while (years ago) I always started with a Chet Atkins album "Street Dreams" and one particular song on it, I think "Classical Gas." By the time the record player got to the next song I was ready to turn off the music.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:20 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It's very much mood based for me. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. When I do the choice tends to be at one of two extremes: either classical (music only, I'm not an opera fan), or maybe jazz, or I go the other end to really up-beat. The energy of someone like Paramore (I'm somewhat out of their usual demographic, I fear) can be just what I need when the going's good.

But what I'm suffering from at the moment isn't based on music, and isn't writer's block as I'd ever imagined it ... it's life block. I finished a novel about a year ago, but haven't found the time/head-space to get it beyond 2nd draft ... mostly because it needs a sequel ready before I would publish it (the story isn't really finished yet), and I haven't gotten anywhere with that. Life keeps getting in the way.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
KitFalbo
KitFalbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sometimes, but usually to drown out TV or Talking. It's not my most productive time. For that I like to sneak away to the local library where I can work on public computers that don't have distracting games/bookmarks/sounds.
KitFalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+
I used to back when I was a teenager. I remember throwing up Playlist.com back when I was 13, then my dad got a MAC when I was around 14 and I was listening to his iTunes. But then YouTube started getting really popular, and I was getting a lot more social at school, which made me move to watching videos and listening to people talking in front of crowds while I wrote. Usually TED talks and stand-up comedy.

Now, I listen to Youtube streams and podcasts. Once in a while I'll throw on something like "Internet Insanity" or "Down the Rabbit Hole" when I want to write something weird. I like stuff that makes me think.
E.M.DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote