Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I am curious too why it does this way.
Yes, I have read the FAQ, the Sticky and some of the related threads, yet no clear answer why:

... so I have too a PDF coming out of scanner.
In Reader I can select the text, and it's rather correct. So the PDF file also contains text, not only images.
Yet, calibre outputs a bunch of images, one per page.

So, again, why calibre does not use the "hidden text"?
Yes, I know it's not best to use PDFs... but what to do when the only source is one of them?!
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I am curious too why it does this way.
Yes, I have read the FAQ, the Sticky and some of the related threads, yet no clear answer why:

... so I have too a PDF coming out of scanner.
In Reader I can select the text, and it's rather correct. So the PDF file also contains text, not only images.
Yet, calibre outputs a bunch of images, one per page.

So, again, why calibre does not use the "hidden text"?
Yes, I know it's not best to use PDFs... but what to do when the only source is one of them?!
I have one commercially produced scan of a book from the 1870's* The images are not the greatest but they are what the original book looked like. The text plane is useful for searching but when I take a close look at it, it has a multitude of OCR errors which make it painful to read.

* The book was originally a two volume set which includes household tips (use sulphuric acid on your windows to prevent frost), photography including creating your own wet plates and much else. If I was stranded on a desert island, that is a set of books that would be handy though by today's standards, many of the items would be considered extreme safety hazards.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:34 AM   #18
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I have one commercially produced scan of a book from the 1870's*
The text plane is useful for searching but when I take a close look at it, it has a multitude of OCR errors which make it painful to read.
Yes, it's usually this way. Old books used very "serifed"/decorative fonts that are rather difficult to be OCRed by simple/cheap software. Yes, it's annoying to replace all "m" by "r n" or "i n", all "h" by "li" and stuff. But that text exists.
Yet, I would really like to know why calibre does not see that text, or doesn't want to use it.
In my case it's a PhD theseis that was typewritten and the text (sort of Courier) is a piece of cake to OCR (and it was OCRed during the scanning).

Maybe this is/was not clear: not because it's large (they have to, because they also have images or images only), but because of the PDF->EPUB conversion. I did not want to open a new thread for a problem that was "solved" in this manner: "DO NOT use PDFs!"
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
it's not calibre that decides to use or not the text, it's pdftohtml from the poppler project, which calibre uses for initial content extraction from PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

* The book was originally a two volume set which includes household tips (use sulphuric acid on your windows to prevent frost), photography including creating your own wet plates and much else. If I was stranded on a desert island, that is a set of books that would be handy though by today's standards, many of the items would be considered extreme safety hazards.
but not many desert islands have handy supplies of sulphuirc acid, or even windows to apply it to ???
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #21
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
but not many desert islands have handy supplies of sulphuirc acid, or even windows to apply it to ???
I suggest you then to read L'Île mystérieuse (The Mysterious Island) by Jules Verne, in particular Chapter XVII.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #22
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
You could split up the file into smaller files. At least it would read quicker. Adobe acrobat pro does it, but is expensive. Surprisingly ig seems Cbrome will do it.
https://superuser.com/questions/6847...ile-in-windows
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
You could split up the file into smaller files. At least it would read quicker. Adobe acrobat pro does it, but is expensive. Surprisingly ig seems Cbrome will do it.
https://superuser.com/questions/6847...ile-in-windows
Good idea - I've used a freebie called PDFsam Basic to good effect to split and extract chapters from PDFs

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote