Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Help convince me that my PW1 is good enough! :-)

Help... I've started to get the itch... I need help convincing myself that my PW1, ordered on the day that they were announced, is good enough.

It still works, still has good battery life, still connects to the Amazon servers, still ... well... everything.

I went to Best Buy the other day and saw the new ones on sale for $99. If they used the same cover I probably would have bought it on the spot, but having to buy a new cover made me a little more hesitant. As I played with it it was clear that it was faster, but does it really matter? Turning pages of text isn't that big of a deal. One thing that would be nice is faster zooming on images as I do read technical journals and articles on my Kindle, and the higher resolution would make it easier to read the diagrams without even having to zoom in on them -- oh, and the light was more even... but as I was playing with the store demo unit I was thinking "nah, this isn't THAT much better..."

...and then I went home and saw the uneven light at the bottom of my screen and was sad, but started reading and got engrossed in my reading and realized that it was just fine, and the page turns were fast enough, and the text was clear enough, and the light worked....

And then I went to Amazon's website and started reading 1 star reviews trying to convince myself that the old one was better... but most of the 1 star reviewers are just morons, so...

Ugh...

Please convince me that my PW1 is good enough for me and shouldn't be given to my wife to replace her Kindle 3 (my previous hand-me-down) nor my mom to replace her old non-touch basic Kindle.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
As far as the hardware goes, "nah, this isn't THAT much better..." is pretty telling. You aren't going to see that much improvement from upgrading your Paperwhite from the hardware.

The software has been improved and would be the biggest thing that would impact your reading experience. If being able to use custom fonts or adjust the boldness of the text interest you, upgrading would give you that ability. Personally, I don't use custom fonts but like being able to adjust the contrast when in low light situations. It allows me to turn the light down a little more.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you can afford it, why not buy the new PW? There's nothing wrong with having multiple ereaders. And if you have people who would be happy to get your old Kindle, well, then there's no reason no hesitate. At all.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My 1st gen Paperwhite was fine, until I saw the next model. There was no comparison, the screen on my first one was blotchy and not well lit. But until I had something to compare it to, I didn't know how bad it was.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One question I have for people who've had a PW<4 and a PW4. Is the new flush screen more susceptible to glare when used outdoors? I don't read outdoors often, but do sometimes.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
My 1st gen Paperwhite was fine, until I saw the next model. There was no comparison, the screen on my first one was blotchy and not well lit. But until I had something to compare it to, I didn't know how bad it was.
I remember the chaos here when the PW1 first came out and how people were returning a dozen of them trying to find the perfect one. Mine has slightly uneven lighting along the bottom, but it has never really bothered me.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
One question I have for people who've had a PW<4 and a PW4. Is the new flush screen more susceptible to glare when used outdoors? I don't read outdoors often, but do sometimes.
No, it isn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it isn't.
Good to know, thanks -- though you're not helping me convince myself. haha
Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you can afford it, why not buy the new PW? There's nothing wrong with having multiple ereaders. And if you have people who would be happy to get your old Kindle, well, then there's no reason no hesitate. At all.
Mostly just a general aversion to buying things unnecessarily. If the old one works...
Old 02-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #10
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Good to know, thanks -- though you're not helping me convince myself. haha
You already convinced yourself.
Quote:
It still works, still has good battery life, still connects to the Amazon servers, still ... well... everything.
I hear there is people trading in an old car for a new one that is more fuel efficient when there was otherwise nothing wrong with the old one. And that without a chance to ever make it pay for itself on fuel savings alone. Similarly for an ereader. If you need to justify the price by features you may want, then it is probably not worth it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The two main reasons to upgrade would be to either have a larger screen or more storage space. If you don't need either of those, you may as well stick with your current reader.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The two main reasons to upgrade would be to either have a larger screen or more storage space. If you don't need either of those, you may as well stick with your current reader.
The screen is the same size between the PW1 and PW4, and storage space isn't my major concern.

For me I think that the biggest pro would be the higher resolution screen when viewing inline diagrams, and faster panning/zooming.

I also think that the PDF handling has been improved. I gave up on PDFs, so as of now that's not a must have, but with improved handling and speed I might use them again.

So, does anybody here read software development journals? Does the higher resolution help with sequence/class diagrams?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm not going to try to convince you to keep using the PW1. You need the PW4.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The screen is the same size between the PW1 and PW4, and storage space isn't my major concern.
Of course. When I mentioned screen size I was meaning upgrading in general, rather than specifically to the PW4. For me, the 7" screen of the Oasis makes a vast improvement in readability.

When it comes to PDFs a much larger screen is needed for optimum readability, I think. Personally I read PDFs on my 10.5" iPad Pro.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #15
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
If being able to use custom fonts or adjust the boldness of the text interest you, upgrading would give you that ability. Personally, I don't use custom fonts but like being able to adjust the contrast when in low light situations. It allows me to turn the light down a little more.
Custom fonts, not so much, though I did like the built in Bookerly font, that my PW1 does not have -- I kept going back to that one while playing with the demo unit. That said, I usually keep it on Publisher Font, unless it's a bad font.

Boldness, maybe... that might be nice too.