Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #646
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Meet Scout

Quote:
Field testing a new delivery system with Amazon Scout.

At Amazon, we continually invest in new technologies to benefit customers. We’ve been hard at work developing a new, fully-electric delivery system – Amazon Scout – designed to safely get packages to customers using autonomous delivery devices. These devices were created by Amazon, are the size of a small cooler, and roll along sidewalks at a walking pace. Starting today, these devices will begin delivering packages to customers in a neighborhood in Snohomish County, Washington.

How will delivery by Amazon Scout work? Customers in Snohomish County order just as they normally would and their Amazon packages will be delivered either by one of our trusted partner carriers or by Amazon Scout. Customers can shop on the Amazon App or amazon.com and enjoy the same delivery options including fast, FREE Same-Day, One-Day and Two-Day shipping for Prime members.

We’re starting with six Amazon Scout devices, delivering packages Monday through Friday, during daylight hours. The devices will autonomously follow their delivery route but will initially be accompanied by an Amazon employee. We developed Amazon Scout at our research and development lab in Seattle, ensuring the devices can safely and efficiently navigate around pets, pedestrians and anything else in their path.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #647
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Breaking news: There's been a rash of Scout abductions in the Snohomish County area...

not to be too negative. I appreciate that Amazon are exploring alternatives, even ones that at first blush seem nutty.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #648
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Second blush as well.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #649
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If this catches on maybe local laws allowing parking cars on sidewalks will be repealed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #650
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
How would the Scouts knock on the door? What if the purchaser isn't home? Can they "eject" the packages and leave them?

I saw a story about similar robots delivering snacks and pizza in a particular college dorm...but if ordering food, you'd pretty much be sure to be home.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #651
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
How would the Scouts knock on the door? What if the purchaser isn't home? Can they "eject" the packages and leave them?

I saw a story about similar robots delivering snacks and pizza in a particular college dorm...but if ordering food, you'd pretty much be sure to be home.
How does Scout climb steps up onto porches? Can Scout please find the package Amazon told me the "carrier lost" last week?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #652
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What if the sidewalk is blocked by a car? What if there aren't any sidewalks?

How does it deliver a refrigerator?

Where does Amazon hide the GPS tracking devices and security cameras on a Scout? Inquiring thieves would like to know
Old 02-03-2019, 01:08 AM   #653
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
A long arm comes out of the front, extends across the porch and presses the doorbell. Or the lift button. Another arm politely raises the scout's hat, and a third hand, palm up, emerges to receive the tip.

Why does the irreplaceable word "cockamamie" spring to mind?
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #654
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
How does Scout climb steps up onto porches? Can Scout please find the package Amazon told me the "carrier lost" last week?
They'll just leave it in your driveway. The regular delivery service does that to me now half the time and says that the package was left on the back porch.
Quote:
What if the sidewalk is blocked by a car? What if there aren't any sidewalks?

How does it deliver a refrigerator?

Where does Amazon hide the GPS tracking devices and security cameras on a Scout? Inquiring thieves would like to know
I don't have any sidewalks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
A long arm comes out of the front, extends across the porch and presses the doorbell. Or the lift button. Another arm politely raises the scout's hat, and a third hand, palm up, emerges to receive the tip.

Why does the irreplaceable word "cockamamie" spring to mind?
It wouldn't be able to get to the top of my stairs, so they couldn't be able to press the doorbell. I do have a Ring doorbell that works pretty well, but there are more steps to get to the porch. Those stairs are a normal height that it should be able to climb though.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #655
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It wouldn't be able to get to the top of my stairs, so they couldn't be able to press the doorbell.
They could if they had Inspector Gadget arms
Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #656
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon Prime Members: Pick Your Delivery Day, Plan Your Week

Quote:
Introducing Amazon Day: Bringing a new level of convenience and predictability to delivery

Prime members across the U.S. can now get all their week’s orders delivered together on the day of their choice, in fewer boxes

Amazon Day is one of several initiatives that support the company’s Shipment Zero project
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 28, 2019-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)— Amazon is bringing a new level of delivery convenience and predictability to Prime members with the launch of Amazon Day, available today to all Prime members in the U.S. This new delivery innovation enables Prime members to choose a day of the week to be their delivery day, which makes it easier to get purchases grouped and delivered together and, in many cases, in fewer packages. Members can also choose from Prime’s fast, free shipping options for any item they don’t want to include as part of their Amazon Day shipment. The program is one of many sustainability initiatives to help achieve Shipment Zero, the company’s vision to make all Amazon shipments net zero carbon, with 50% of all shipments net zero by 2030.

“Amazon Day makes shopping throughout the week so easy,” said Susan T. from Wilmington, DE, one of the Prime members who received early access to the service. “Whenever I think of something I need, I just buy it with Amazon Day and know it’s going to arrive on the day I work from home.”
Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #657
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Despite making the announcement yesterday, Amazon has been offering this option for awhile. I prefer it since I work at home on Fridays and would rather get my deliveries when I'm home so that they don't sit out on the porch for hours and perhaps get stolen. I used to try to place any Amazon orders I might have on Wednesday so as to get the delivery on Friday, but that would often backfire as we have a fulfillment center nearby so I would frequently get the delivery on Thursday instead.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #658
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I've been seeing this for a while too, but I don't pay for prime for seven day shipping, I pay for two day shipping.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #659
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I've been seeing this for a while too, but I don't pay for prime for seven day shipping, I pay for two day shipping.
I pay for Prime for Prime Video and usually skip free two day shipping in order to get free digital credits

Last time they went back to offering me stupid Pantry credits and I took the two day shipping instead. It's ironic to say, but learn your customers, Amazon!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #660
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I was very happy to see that my 5 orders are coming today. Three of the items were back ordered from weeks ago. So I had to wait to see when they would ship. I saw that they shipped Friday, and thought they would arrive just in time for a snowstorm tomorrow. All 5 orders are coming together. We have a long driveway so during storms they won't deliver here unless it fits in the mailbox. None of them will fit. So I would have to pick them up at the post office.

I also got two $8 dollar pantry credits and three $1 digital credits from these orders separately. All of these orders were spread out over weeks. I never thought they would arrive on the same day.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote