Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Sorry I haven't been around here to respond but I've been busy. I did have the image recolored a little have the airship silver and make the greenery stand out more.
You may not want the greenery to stand out more if you're going to have text down there.

As an image, I like seeing the trees. But for a cover with text layered over it, maybe not.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I prefer dwig's version. The original and the newly coloured one both look like breasts to me! Maybe that is the point: some kind of subliminal appeal?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
A lot of dark at the bottom. Can't really see the palm trees. As a thumbnail I can't distinguish that it's a space craft. Not thrilled by the gold/brown coloring.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #19
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Okay, I've finally got all the elements together, including text and a new logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Against_the_Eldest_Flame_ Final600.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	155342  
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Well, I now like the artwork...but I really do not love the font for the title.

Sorry.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #21
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, I now like the artwork...but I really do not love the font for the title.

Sorry.

Hitch
How's this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BenguiatCover600.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	155347  
Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Okay, I've finally got all the elements together, including text and a new logo.
I like it! (In post #19)

(Even the banana in the Logo!)

Seriously: I like it!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My own tastes lean to the version in post #21 (except your name could be larger as it was in post #19) ... but I suspect post #19, with its bright colours and starker contrasts may stand out better in amongst lists of books (especially as regards the title), so it may be the better choice.

As regards the title font ... well, I can't say I love it either, but I don't mind it, and it is still legible in the thumbnail.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am gonna side with Hitch. The font in #19 (very nice) is not right for the rest of the cover (and that is fabulous ).

# 21 still is not 'there'. The style themes need to match (and your name needs to be a tad bigger: proportionally)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How's this?
Lemurion:

Thanks for the effort. Don't beat me when I now say that it's not "enough." Now, it's too boring. (Sorry!) Are you trying to stick with the whole 1930's serials feel?

Hitch
Old 02-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #26
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Lemurion:

Thanks for the effort. Don't beat me when I now say that it's not "enough." Now, it's too boring. (Sorry!) Are you trying to stick with the whole 1930's serials feel?

Hitch
I am. It's the first in a planned series of alt-30s pulp adventures based around my own take of the Doc Savage style science-adventurer hero. So far I have three volumes draft complete, and am making notes on a fourth while I polish the earlier stories.

I'm going to try putting the title into Benguiat with the brighter colors next and see how that works, but it could take a little time before I have it.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I am. It's the first in a planned series of alt-30s pulp adventures based around my own take of the Doc Savage style science-adventurer hero. So far I have three volumes draft complete, and am making notes on a fourth while I polish the earlier stories.

I'm going to try putting the title into Benguiat with the brighter colors next and see how that works, but it could take a little time before I have it.
Lemurion:

What about this, maybe? http://www.shyfoundry.com/fonts/shareware/sffedora.html It's very affordable, and I think it conveys your idea pretty wonderfully.

Hitch
Old 02-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lemurion:

What about this, maybe? http://www.shyfoundry.com/fonts/shareware/sffedora.html It's very affordable, and I think it conveys your idea pretty wonderfully.

Hitch
I was thinking along similar Indiana Jones-esque lines. I found this font. It's free, though not for commercial use. You may have to contact the designer for that.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

If it's a series, what if you use the character's name in the title? 'Doc Vandal is... Against the Eldest Flame'?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #30
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If it's a series, what if you use the character's name in the title? 'Doc Vandal is... Against the Eldest Flame'?
I've used "Doc Vandal in" in previous versions of the cover and it made the title too busy, though it's still a work in progress.

The logo in the lower left corner does say "A Doc Vandal Adventure."