Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Looking for cover art feedback

Here's the art I just commissioned for the cover to Doc Vandal book one.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volvcanofinal600.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	154948  
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I like the image, though it looks a bit cramped sitting there on its own without title and author etc. That is: as a stand alone image it looks cut off, but once it turns into a cover it may not look that way; the overall effect is difficult to judge when such important parts are missing.

I like that it is similar in content to the existing cover, it should be less of a surprise to existing readers. I think the new image is much better than the existing cover, but the existing cover is let down as much by the text as by the image - so you still have a lot of work to do
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For me, there's not enough variation in that zeppelin coming at me. I would much perfer a 3/4 side shot - or something similar.

Also, I would like to see the typography layout, along with that logo you mentioned in your other thread, in order to get a full sense of the cover.

Thanks!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Here's the art I just commissioned for the cover to Doc Vandal book one.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated.
I feel as though the creator of the art didn't think about it being used as a book cover, and didn't leave enough space for the title/byline in the lighter yellow/gold sky.

Also, I agree with Drib: there's too little differentiation between the volcano and the flying machine (which is giving me Buster Crabbe/Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon/40's-50's serials vibes, which I'm certain is intentional--I love it!). I like the look of the machine, but it's blending into the mountain. Not good at all, at thumbnail, which is, after all, your clickbait.

Hope that helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
WitchWayBooks
WitchWayBooks began at the beginning.

Device: None
i like the design of the cover would like to see it completed, but it does convey a old action series look to it.
WitchWayBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchWayBooks View Post
i like the design of the cover would like to see it completed, but it does convey a old action series look to it.
I wonder if the flying machine were a platinum/silvery color, or even a beaten copper color--something to set it apart from the exploding Volcano--if that would help. It needs a) contrast and b) a way for the flying machine to be discernible at thumbnail size.

I do like most of it, just a few small tweaks.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-14-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: My volcano was too E!
Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I wonder if the flying machine were a platinum/silvery color, or even a beaten copper color--something to set it apart from the exploding Volcanoe--if that would help. It needs a) contrast and b) a way for the flying machine to be discernible at thumbnail size.

I do like most of it, just a few small tweaks.

Hitch
I agree. Shadows are too dark and the airship is too similar, in color and tone, to the volcano.

Perhaps, something in this direction:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airship.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	154987  
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I agree. Shadows are too dark and the airship is too similar, in color and tone, to the volcano.

Perhaps, something in this direction:
YES. Something very much like that. :-)

Hey, Lemurion--why don't you take it over to CoverCritics.com, and see what the gang over there says? Maybe they can help.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-14-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added cc.com.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@Lemurion: The cover image reminded me a lot of the Dianetics cover, which is probably not what you want.

Spoiler:

You might want to pick a different theme.

Last edited by Doitsu; 02-15-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Doitsu has a point. Go here for a look:

https://www.google.com.pe/search?q=D...hCjs8b7_4b53M:
Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Thanks for all the comments. Sorry I haven't been around here to respond but I've been busy. I did have the image recolored a little have the airship silver and make the greenery stand out more.

It's definitely supposed to have that 1930s adventure serial look so that's a positive. Sadly, I'm not sure what I can do with the whole Dianetics thing except totally redo the cover and I'm not sure I have the budget for that.

As for the text, I should have that in a few days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	volvcanosilver600.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	155009  
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. Sorry I haven't been around here to respond but I've been busy. I did have the image recolored a little have the airship silver and make the greenery stand out more.

It's definitely supposed to have that 1930s adventure serial look so that's a positive. Sadly, I'm not sure what I can do with the whole Dianetics thing except totally redo the cover and I'm not sure I have the budget for that.

That's definitely a big improvement. Perhaps if you go for that 30's Serial-Adventure thing in the fonts, too, the unfortunate Dianetics feel/similarity will fade into the background. Can't wait to see it, truly.

Hitch
Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Present the Dianetics cover and the current cover from that artist and tell him it's too close for comfort and that you need a new cover - without an additional charge.

Be nice and see how the artist responds. If he comes across as an asshole or a jerk - you know the type, don't you? - then I would say it's time to sever business relations with him on future projects.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I think you guys are overstating the importance of the Dianetics resemblance. Yeah, any image of an exploding volcano is likely trigger a minor 'Hey! Dianetics!' thought in people of a certain age, but nobody is likely to confuse the two.

I very much like the (recolored) image for a pulp adventure cover.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote