Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
amobile
amobile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Diacritics support?

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me with my inquiry on diacritic support.

So does Kindle (all versions) support diacritics? I've searched a lot of places and myself tried a few methods but was not able to properly view diacritics in Kindle (I used Kindle Previewer by the way). Is it just me?

Thanks,
amobile
amobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle certainly supports all the diacritics found in the standard 1252 code page. Which particular ones did you have in mind?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
amobile

Thank you for replying, HarryT.

I was hoping for perhaps 'Latin Extended Additional' characters with dot below/above characters.

Link: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/java/unicode.html#x1E00
Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
amobile

Sorry to bump this up, but I'd appreciate anyone with any ideas.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Looks like it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latin Extended Additional.gif
Views:	407
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	64859  
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
amobile

Wow, would you mind sharing how I can get it to work please? Do you have to modify the software in anyway or is it in the html coding?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

I didn't do anything special. All I did was look at the page you mentioned to check out what the decimal range for Latin Extended Additional was, then made a simple html file:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
<title>Latin Extended Additional</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>& #7680;  & #7681;  .....  & #7928;  & #7929;</p>
</body> 
</html>
(Of course there shouldn't be spaces between & and #, but without them this reply box translates each into the actual characters.) I used numeric entities since my usual editor can't handle unicode, but I just did the same thing in an editor which can, substituting the actual letters, and it worked exactly the same. Given the file, you can copy it into the kindle, making sure to change the extension from html to txt so the Kindle will read it. Or you can run it through Calibre or other program to convert to mobi.

So far the only real difference I find in the few files I've done to date is that MOBI files show Authors on the main screen the and TXT files don't. Other than changing the screensavers, I haven't altered my Kindle yet, and that's the default serif font.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
amobile

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Jadon.

I copied the code you've written into notepad and created an html file, which I then used in KindleGen to convert to a .mobi file. However, when I preview the file using Kindle Previewer 1.5, I am obtaining the following screenshot I've attached below. I am sure I am missing something somewhere along the process but not quite sure what it is. Would you know why this is occurring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	64868  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Did you put in the right DOCTYPE and charset settings?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
amobile

Susan,

I am not familiar with how I would go about determining the needed DOCTYPE and charset settings. I've been saving my html files as ANSI under Notepad, which I think is identical to Windows-1252 standard. For the above code provided by Jadon I saved the html file as UTF-8 since this is the declaration in the html code listed. Is this what you mean?
Old 01-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could it be that these characters are simply not present in the font used by the Kindle previewer program?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
Jadon
Hermit

You do realize the "....." bit in the sample code means "the missing 300 steps of the sequence go here", right? Because if you didn't put those in, your output is exactly correct, though the font the viewer is using isn't as nice as the default on the actual Kindle. Take out everything between the paragraph markers and paste the below in and it should work.

Ḁ ḁ Ḃ ḃ Ḅ ḅ Ḇ ḇ Ḉ ḉ Ḋ ḋ Ḍ ḍ Ḏ ḏ Ḑ ḑ Ḓ ḓ Ḕ ḕ Ḗ ḗ Ḙ ḙ Ḛ ḛ Ḝ ḝ Ḟ ḟ Ḡ ḡ Ḣ ḣ Ḥ ḥ Ḧ ḧ Ḩ ḩ Ḫ ḫ Ḭ ḭ Ḯ ḯ Ḱ ḱ Ḳ ḳ Ḵ ḵ Ḷ ḷ Ḹ ḹ Ḻ ḻ Ḽ ḽ Ḿ ḿ Ṁ ṁ Ṃ ṃ Ṅ ṅ Ṇ ṇ Ṉ ṉ Ṋ ṋ Ṍ ṍ Ṏ ṏ Ṑ ṑ Ṓ ṓ Ṕ ṕ Ṗ ṗ Ṙ ṙ Ṛ ṛ Ṝ ṝ Ṟ ṟ Ṡ ṡ Ṣ ṣ Ṥ ṥ Ṧ ṧ Ṩ ṩ Ṫ ṫ Ṭ ṭ Ṯ ṯ Ṱ ṱ Ṳ ṳ Ṵ ṵ Ṷ ṷ Ṹ ṹ Ṻ ṻ Ṽ ṽ Ṿ ṿ Ẁ ẁ Ẃ ẃ Ẅ ẅ Ẇ ẇ Ẉ ẉ Ẋ ẋ Ẍ ẍ Ẏ ẏ Ẑ ẑ Ẓ ẓ Ẕ ẕ ẖ ẗ ẘ ẙ ẚ ẛ Ạ ạ Ả ả Ấ ấ Ầ ầ Ẩ ẩ Ẫ ẫ Ậ ậ Ắ ắ Ằ ằ Ẳ ẳ Ẵ ẵ Ặ ặ Ẹ ẹ Ẻ ẻ Ẽ ẽ Ế ế Ề ề Ể ể Ễ ễ Ệ ệ Ỉ ỉ Ị ị Ọ ọ Ỏ ỏ Ố ố Ồ ồ Ổ ổ Ỗ ỗ Ộ ộ Ớ ớ Ờ ờ Ở ở Ỡ ỡ Ợ ợ Ụ ụ Ủ ủ Ứ ứ Ừ ừ Ử ử Ữ ữ Ự ự Ỳ ỳ Ỵ ỵ Ỷ ỷ Ỹ ỹ

The actual files I used are attached. They're as I explained, with no changes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LatExtAdd_htm.zip (1.6 KB, 198 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
amobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Could it be that these characters are simply not present in the font used by the Kindle previewer program?
Hmm, I also had this thought. I wonder perhaps if I missed some footnote on Amazon's site regarding this matter. Maybe I'll try to use Mobipocket Reader and see the results there as well. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
amobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
You do realize the "....." bit in the sample code means "the missing 300 steps of the sequence go here", right? Because if you didn't put those in, your output is exactly correct, though the font the viewer is using isn't as nice as the default on the actual Kindle. Take out everything between the paragraph markers and paste the below in and it should work.

Ḁ ḁ Ḃ ḃ Ḅ ḅ Ḇ ḇ Ḉ ḉ Ḋ ḋ Ḍ ḍ Ḏ ḏ Ḑ ḑ Ḓ ḓ Ḕ ḕ Ḗ ḗ Ḙ ḙ Ḛ ḛ Ḝ ḝ Ḟ ḟ Ḡ ḡ Ḣ ḣ Ḥ ḥ Ḧ ḧ Ḩ ḩ Ḫ ḫ Ḭ ḭ Ḯ ḯ Ḱ ḱ Ḳ ḳ Ḵ ḵ Ḷ ḷ Ḹ ḹ Ḻ ḻ Ḽ ḽ Ḿ ḿ Ṁ ṁ Ṃ ṃ Ṅ ṅ Ṇ ṇ Ṉ ṉ Ṋ ṋ Ṍ ṍ Ṏ ṏ Ṑ ṑ Ṓ ṓ Ṕ ṕ Ṗ ṗ Ṙ ṙ Ṛ ṛ Ṝ ṝ Ṟ ṟ Ṡ ṡ Ṣ ṣ Ṥ ṥ Ṧ ṧ Ṩ ṩ Ṫ ṫ Ṭ ṭ Ṯ ṯ Ṱ ṱ Ṳ ṳ Ṵ ṵ Ṷ ṷ Ṹ ṹ Ṻ ṻ Ṽ ṽ Ṿ ṿ Ẁ ẁ Ẃ ẃ Ẅ ẅ Ẇ ẇ Ẉ ẉ Ẋ ẋ Ẍ ẍ Ẏ ẏ Ẑ ẑ Ẓ ẓ Ẕ ẕ ẖ ẗ ẘ ẙ ẚ ẛ Ạ ạ Ả ả Ấ ấ Ầ ầ Ẩ ẩ Ẫ ẫ Ậ ậ Ắ ắ Ằ ằ Ẳ ẳ Ẵ ẵ Ặ ặ Ẹ ẹ Ẻ ẻ Ẽ ẽ Ế ế Ề ề Ể ể Ễ ễ Ệ ệ Ỉ ỉ Ị ị Ọ ọ Ỏ ỏ Ố ố Ồ ồ Ổ ổ Ỗ ỗ Ộ ộ Ớ ớ Ờ ờ Ở ở Ỡ ỡ Ợ ợ Ụ ụ Ủ ủ Ứ ứ Ừ ừ Ử ử Ữ ữ Ự ự Ỳ ỳ Ỵ ỵ Ỷ ỷ Ỹ ỹ

The actual files I used are attached. They're as I explained, with no changes.
Thanks, Jadon. I'll try this perhaps on Mobipocket Reader as I don't yet have a Kindle and want to work out this issue prior to actually purchasing one. I'll post back with my findings.