Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Doc Vandal Logo

Those who have been here long enough may remember me mentioning my Doc Vandal pulp adventures.

I've now finished the third volume in the series, and am about to reissue the first book with a new cover, before releasing the next two. I'm also going to aim for a relatively coherent trade dress, so I commissioned a logo.

The actual logo does feature transparency, but I lost it when I resized for the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc_Vandal_AdventuresResized600.png
Views:	240
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	154924  
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What's your question?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just looking for general feedback.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Oh, Ok.

Color: Well, I think the yellow looks too washed out against a white background. I would suggest a different color combination.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
Lemurion
eReader

Yeah you're right, it's a transparent background on the original - The idea is to put it over the cover illustration where it should stand out more.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah you're right, it's a transparent background on the original - The idea is to put it over the cover illustration where it should stand out more.
That make sense, then.

Why not give us the cover along with the logo, keeping in mind that an image here (non-promotional) can be up to 600 x 600.

(In the Self-Promotions Forum - as you know - the limit is 300 x 600.)
Old 02-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader

I plan on it. I should get the art for the first volume sometime today.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Just an opinion from a nobody graphic designer, but to me Doc Vandal should be together since that's the entire name. Either all on one line, or each word on its own line centered in the yellow cross bar. So that it's A-------Doc Vandal------Adventure instead of A Doc------Vandal------Adventure. I get that you're probably going for balance with things layed out the way they are now, but it just doesn't fit well for me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I think the logo looks a bit tame and polite for a pulp adventure. Especially for someone named Doc Vandal! (Unless that image is some medallion in the bottom corner of the cover or something.) I guess I expect letters to fly across the cover

Also, I agree. 'Doc Vandal' should be kept together if possible.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Perhaps a lime green color for the logo instead of lemon yellow. Even with it being semi transparent you presumably want it to stand out a little bit so that the potential reader can see it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote