Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
New York Times sues Microsoft, ChatGPT maker OpenAI over copyright infringement

It was only a matter of time before this happened. I honestly thought it would be one of the bigger publishers, though, not the NYT.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/27/new-...bYAQM4CPr_erMc

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:56 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It was only a matter of time ...
Yep. I expected this sooner or later. Can't say that I feel sorry for ChatGPT or Microsoft.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2023, 09:24 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yep. I expected this sooner or later. Can't say that I feel sorry for ChatGPT or Microsoft.
I've misplaced my very tiny violin.

Gridiron take
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...rosoft-lawsuit

Also many countries don't have as generous "Fair Use" laws as USA, or none at all, simply civil actions, as in some countries copyright violation is civil violation (suing), not proactively prosecution as it's not a criminal violation.

The big companies behind the LLMs are going to make a lot of laywers and barristers rich no matter how it pans out. The cost of building these sytems in money and environment is vast, so vast one wonders what the "end plan" to monetise it is.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote