Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2024, 07:47 AM   #46
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arconte View Post
What I am saying is if someone have the option to read, it is a waste of meaning, chilling, mental exercise and beauty to listen instead of reading them.
What I am saying is that I don't listen to audio books but that I have no opinion on those who do.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 08:38 AM   #47
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Is it necessary to cherry pick situations where general norms/preferences established by an individual don't apply completely? Obviously, there are scenarios where everything can be justified, and of course, if there is no alternative, audiobooks must be great, like the examples you specified. Let's not be populistic, please.

What I am saying is if someone have the option to read, it is a waste of meaning, chilling, mental exercise and beauty to listen instead of reading them.
Maybe you should say you have the option not if everyone has the option.

I both read books and listen to audiobooks. I cannot sit at my bench and read a book. I also cannot drive a car and read a book. In both circumstances I can listen to an audiobook and still pay attention to what I am doing. This is called multi-tasking. I am not wasting my time. Also, what is the beauty of reading? Reading is reading. Personally, I do not find any beauty in sitting down with a book with my eyes glued to the pages.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 12:25 PM   #48
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Is it necessary to cherry pick situations where general norms/preferences established by an individual don't apply completely? Obviously, there are scenarios where everything can be justified, and of course, if there is no alternative, audiobooks must be great, like the examples you specified. Let's not be populistic, please.

You forgot to add “for you.” It’s a waste for you. It’s not a waste for others. And I wouldn’t have said what I did if I hadn’t found your comment to be so utterly ridiculous.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 12:26 PM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

First you say don't cherry pick, and then you do cherry pick (your opinion).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:14 PM   #50
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
First you say don't cherry pick, and then you do cherry pick (your opinion).
Well, as they say, you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 02:20 PM   #51
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
That is your opinion, and it's a fine opinion. But it is only an opinion. Others opinions are different.

As one who does not really fit well in this forum, I can tell you that I have learned that if you strongly state an opinion here, and it is counter to others differing opinions, you will hear about it. If this is not something that you can learn to enjoy, or at least tolerate, this forum may turn out to be a problem for you. It is by far the fiercest forum I log into. Which was quite a surprise to me for a forum dedicated to reading. Very few people cut anybody any slack here. So you gotta have thick skin to participate. I do not think this is due to any inherent maliciousness. I think it is because most people here are pretty damn intelligent. And with that usually comes solidity in one's beliefs, a willingness to state those beliefs, pretty decent debate abilities, and a lot of self confidence. Really, these are all good traits. But you don't want to step into the middle of them if you're a wiener. You seem to be doing quite well thus far , but I was just giving you my insights since you are new here (welcome!)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:41 PM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That is your opinion, and it's a fine opinion. But it is only an opinion. Others opinions are different.

As one who does not really fit well in this forum, I can tell you that I have learned that if you strongly state an opinion here, and it is counter to others differing opinions, you will hear about it. If this is not something that you can learn to enjoy, or at least tolerate, this forum may turn out to be a problem for you. It is by far the fiercest forum I log into. Which was quite a surprise to me for a forum dedicated to reading. Very few people cut anybody any slack here. So you gotta have thick skin to participate. I do not think this is due to any inherent maliciousness. I think it is because most people here are pretty damn intelligent. And with that usually comes solidity in one's beliefs, a willingness to state those beliefs, pretty decent debate abilities, and a lot of self confidence. Really, these are all good traits. But you don't want to step into the middle of them if you're a wiener. You seem to be doing quite well thus far , but I was just giving you my insights since you are new here (welcome!)
I don't think it is a matter of people having a problem with different opinions, they have problems stating opinions as absolute truths.

IMO.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:25 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't think it is a matter of people having a problem with different opinions, they have problems stating opinions as absolute truths.
I have to agree. I don't much care what your opinion is, you are entitled to it just as everyone else is entitled to their opinion. OTOH, it is your opinion and unless you came down from a mountain with that opinion engraved on a stone tablet, that is all it is.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:35 PM   #54
Renate
Wizard

Actually, I think that this forum has the most virulent opinions of any forum.
Which is all cool.
One should offer their opinions to others but expect no resonance.

OTOH people who like devices with buttons are JUST WRONG!
Old 01-16-2024, 05:04 PM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Velcro, laces, hooks & eyes, toggles & loops, poppers or zips?
What alternative to buttons?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:43 PM   #56
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What alternative to buttons?
Magnetic closures.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:46 PM   #57
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Magnetic closures.
They pick up ferrous filings, paper clips, pins, tacks etc.

Though Velcro has an evil affinity to fluff.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:43 PM   #58
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
... and 300 dpi screens are useless overkill.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:37 PM   #59
Arconte
Enthusiast
Arconte began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx TUC
Well men, just said what MY OPINION IS, but besides being MINE, I think there are good points sustaining it. But what can I argue against comments like this?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Also, what is the beauty of reading? Reading is reading. Personally, I do not find any beauty in sitting down with a book with my eyes glued to the pages.
Apache
If this is your definition of reading, then I understand all your opinions about reading and books 😉

In a last attempt to make me understand, I am going to compare what IT IS FOR ME to read a book than listening to an audiobook: it's like watching a good movie, compared to watch a Marvel movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
It is by far the fiercest forum I log into. Which was quite a surprise to me for a forum dedicated to reading. Very few people cut anybody any slack here. So you gotta have thick skin to participate. I do not think this is due to any inherent maliciousness. I think it is because most people here are pretty damn intelligent. And with that usually comes solidity in one's beliefs, a willingness to state those beliefs, pretty decent debate abilities, and a lot of self confidence. Really, these are all good traits. But you don't want to step into the middle of them if you're a wiener. You seem to be doing quite well thus far , but I was just giving you my insights since you are new here (welcome!)
Thank you for your words, Haertig. Another good way to say a certain part of what you said it could be: "People in this forum shouldn't have such a thin skin when comments are said countering their opinions", but as I think it is going to be easier, I am going to have a thick skin 😁

Well, now that I come to say my opinion, and punched the nest again with a stick with the Marvel movie fact, I can go peacefully.

See you
Arconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:52 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
But isn't a bluetooth clicker a device with buttons?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote