Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 02:06 AM   #1
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
[New York Times] Will Books Survive Spotify?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/13/o...algorithm.html

»Spotify may have made it easier than ever for us to listen to an enormous trove of music, but it extracted so much money in doing so that it impoverished musicians. Now the company is turning its attention to books with a new offering. It will do the same thing to writers, whose audiobooks Spotify has begun streaming in a new and more damaging way.«

[ without paywall: https://archive.is/UMNkC ]
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:19 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
NYT headline should be "Will Audio Books Survive Spotify?"

Many people that read books (paper or ebooks) never ever listen to audio books.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 10:50 AM   #3
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
NYT headline should be "Will Audio Books Survive Spotify?"

Many people that read books (paper or ebooks) never ever listen to audio books.
I agree. I have listened to one audio book in my life. I just don't find it very enjoyable.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I agree. I have listened to one audio book in my life. I just don't find it very enjoyable.
Also I can't beleive Spotify will dent Amazon's dominance of Audio Books via Audible. It will be niche, less so than music. I was surprised when my sister told me she used spotify. However she then explained it was only convenience. She listens to content she bought years ago and had on LP then CD. No new content. Less bother than converting her CDs to mp3s. So I wonder how much Spotify music revenue is content already bought in the past?

Some people though hardly read books now, finding the audio books more convenient for their lifestyle, but how many of those will Spotify poach from Amazon's Audible?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:15 PM   #5
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
The thing is, Audible is like what, €10 a month? IIRC, Spotify intends to limit audiobooks to 15 hours per month before you need to book an upgrade. What kind of business proposal is that?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 03:41 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Does someone have a link to the Spotify audiobook catalog?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:42 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does someone have a link to the Spotify audiobook catalog?
The Google fu is indeed running weak.

A quick Google search on 'spotify audiobook catalog' came up with the following: https://open.spotify.com/search/audiobook%20catalog and then click on Audiobooks. Then scroll down through the catalog.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 06:18 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Google fu is indeed running weak.

A quick Google search on 'spotify audiobook catalog' came up with the following: https://open.spotify.com/search/audiobook%20catalog and then click on Audiobooks. Then scroll down through the catalog.
Thank you for the link.

Personally, the catalog doesn't do much for me. And it would be nice if there was some sort of categories.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:32 PM   #9
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Another aspect to me is increased clutter and decreased ease of use. It's annoying enough to use Spotify for both music and podcasts. I want to leave a song up and ready to continue playing when leaving my music player, so I can continue where I left off; and I do the same with my podcasts. But if both are in the same place like with Spotify, I have to choose to either leave a song or a podcast up for next time.

It also adds unnecessary UI elements.

I just prefer having one program do one thing and separating them.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:54 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Another aspect to me is increased clutter and decreased ease of use. It's annoying enough to use Spotify for both music and podcasts. I want to leave a song up and ready to continue playing when leaving my music player, so I can continue where I left off; and I do the same with my podcasts. But if both are in the same place like with Spotify, I have to choose to either leave a song or a podcast up for next time.

Yes. For me music, audiobooks, and podcasts are entirely different activities, and an app can only do one of them well.

I used to subscribe to and enjoy Spotify, but I cannot see ever being their customer again.

I cancelled my Audible subscription in no small part because the app has become a mess, as they push podcasts and Audible Plus content, and it is awkward to find and listen to audiobooks you have purchased. The library filters do not work properly, and it has been like this for at least a couple of years.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 05:22 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I need two different apps just for music. Sometimes I want to listen to classical and sometimes I want to listen to something else, and continue where I left off in either one.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:35 PM   #12
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I love Spotify for music and podcasts (although they are pretty disorganized with the latter), but don't have interest in them also with audiobooks - will stay with Audible, Hoopla and Libby for that collection
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 06:20 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes books will survive Spotify as Spotify only streams audiobooks and not books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 07:44 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Meh, who cares. I don't listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks, as I find it boring and hate any background noise; I want my home to be silent at all times. For me the content must be in writing or it might as well not exist at all.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:12 AM   #15
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks, as I find it boring and hate any background noise; I want my home to be silent at all times.
I think that we may be compatible. <flutters eyes at Sirtel>

OTOH, I was up at 4 AM playing guitar and singing.
(I just hate to listen to music.)

Actually, I do listen to podcasts sometimes when I'm hiking.

Audio books might not be bad if they had an EEG attachment so that it pauses when I space out.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote