Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
RIP David Drake

https://david-drake.com/

I enjoyed his works a lot.

Just an announcement on his web-site.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:15 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I knew he was having health issues that last few years but still very sad to hear the news that he had passed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2023, 06:53 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
He was very upfront about his problems, but never once did you hear him complaining. One of my top favorite authors. I liked the realism his books projected and how he never glorified war.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 08:32 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I misread the thread title initially as "RIP David Duke" and was both confused and concerned.

I'm not familiar with Drake's oeuvre, but I have to laud his ingenuity for coming up with a series title like "Hammer's Slammers".
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I guess the payment schedule's over. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:57 PM   #7
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
I knew he was sick and thought I remembered he was not really writing anymore as a result. I really enjoyed a lot of his books, and read most of them, even after I generally bounced off Baen. Very sad to see him go.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:43 PM   #8
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
On the official David Drake page, his family members have a tribute plus a link to give to a charity (a scholarship fund) that David Drake supported.

Baen is offering a David Drake eBook sale as a tribute.

You can get one dollar off individual eBooks -- or get the whole bundle for $87.87. The bundle can be viewed at the David Drake Collection page.

I know this isn't a huge discount -- but keep it in mind if you're looking to support his family, buy eBooks you missed, etc.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:49 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
On the official David Drake page, his family members have a tribute plus a link to give to a charity (a scholarship fund) that David Drake supported.

Baen is offering a David Drake eBook sale as a tribute.

You can get one dollar off individual eBooks -- or get the whole bundle for $87.87. The bundle can be viewed at the David Drake Collection page.

I know this isn't a huge discount -- but keep it in mind if you're looking to support his family, buy eBooks you missed, etc.
Not all of the books in the bundle are by David Drake.

Hope Reborn by David Drake and S. M. Stirling

March Upcountry by David Weber and John Ringo

Redliners, Second Edition by David Drake

A Desert Called Peace, Second Edition by Tom Kratman

Belisarius I: Thunder at Dawn by David Drake and Eric Flint

Lord of a Shattered Land by Howard Andrew Jones

Old Nathan by David Drake

Witchy Eye, Second Edition by D.J. Butler

Lord of the Isles by David Drake

Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia

The Spark by David Drake

The God Stalker Chronicles by P. C. Hodgell

Starliner, Second Edition by David Drake

Slow Train to Arcturus by Eric Flint and Dave Freer

Night & Demons by David Drake

Weird World War III edited by Sean Patrick Hazle
Apache
Old 01-03-2024, 04:17 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Weird World War III edited by Sean Patrick Hazle
Apache
David Drake did write a short story in the Weird World War III anthology.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:41 PM   #11
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post

Apache
It's an odd selection of titles. From what I could tell, some of them were included because the first page mentioned his influence and included comparisons. For example, "If you like The Spark by David Drake you should also try The Godstalker Chronicles by P.C. Hodgell."

If you want to try some of David Drake's stories, I think the Hammers Slammers Baen CD is still available at the Fifth Imperium. But you have to download the entire ISO or CD file (here) and not the individual files.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:17 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic

I have and have read all of David Drake's books. He was one of my favorite Military Sci Fi authors. I liked that he did not glorify war. I have been listening to some of them since he died.
Apache
Old 01-30-2024, 09:57 AM   #13
ableal
Enthusiast
ableal began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (2009), Kobo Clara HD (2018), Kobo Libra 2 (2022)
A David Drake book was guaranteed to be entertaining, and often thoughtful - like taking a tourist trip to other times and places, and getting a peek at the machine works.
I'd have liked to have more of his Roman tales, as in Vettius and his Friends.
ableal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:41 PM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Man - I hate it when I come here and see one of my fav authors has died. Glad people let us know, hate that favorite authors have passed.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote