Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2023, 03:47 PM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There's 'evidence' for everything on the Internet. I am not going to waste time looking for it. I would not trust any study of something like this in any case, one way or the other.

I'm perfectly happy to try something out for awhile to see if it appeals to me, which is what I'm doing.

I think for example the 'blue light' studies are junk, and 'warm light' feature holds little value for me. I tried it out, don't like it, don't use it.
Are you Dyslexic?

Which "blue light" studies? There are ones that thought it kept you awake and ones that claimed it didn't. None claimed it damaged your eyes (at least no serious study). It turns out that people might like a more amber light, but that's not the same thing. It's also true that doing stimulating viewing or reading vs say reading Trollop's Doctor Thorne makes it harder to get to sleep.

By all means enjoy using the fonts. However there are ways of testing remedial ideas for Dyslexia and ways of weeding out placebo effects (coloured filters may be a placebo). There are real studies and real science, don't mock everything just because the Internet and media particularly is full of noise, junk, fake snake oil etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 04:28 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not the blasted OpenDyslexic font nonsense again. So far not a single study that I have found has shown using OpenDyslexic or other "dyslexic fonts" shows any measurable improvement in reading for people suffering from dyslexia.

The effect of a specialized dyslexia font, OpenDyslexic, on reading rate and accuracy for an example.

Some quotes from the paper:

Quote:
Results from this alternating treatment experiment show no improvement in reading rate or accuracy for individual students with dyslexia, as well as the group as a whole.
Quote:
Yet, no empirical research could be identified that investigated the effectiveness of the font with English readers, and very little research exists on its effectiveness in readers of other languages.
Another paper was Do Dyslexia Fonts Actually Work?. A quote from that paper:
Quote:
Researchers put the font to the test, comparing it with two other popular fonts designed for legibility—Arial and Times New Roman—and discovered that the purportedly dyslexia-friendly font actually reduced reading speed and accuracy. In addition, none of the students preferred to read material in OpenDyslexic, a surprising rebuke for a font specifically designed for the task.
Also see How to Counter Vision-Based Claims about Dyslexia “Cures” and their list of myth-busting links.

I worked in education and supporting special needs students for quite a while and we kept getting parents who read an item that said using OpenDyslexic, Dyslexie or other special font would be a "miracle cure" for their kids reading difficulties. Like any other snake oil remedies, they didn't work. The only consolation was that OpenDyslexic unlike Dyslexie was a freebie.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 05:15 PM   #63
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritomaster View Post
There ya go booted up a pdf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPdrQ8h84Rg
Thanks a lot!
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:16 PM   #64
Fritomaster
Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EGegege
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not the blasted OpenDyslexic font nonsense again. So far not a single study that I have found has shown using OpenDyslexic or other "dyslexic fonts" shows any measurable improvement in reading for people suffering from dyslexia.

The effect of a specialized dyslexia font, OpenDyslexic, on reading rate and accuracy for an example.

Some quotes from the paper:

Another paper was Do Dyslexia Fonts Actually Work?. A quote from that paper:

Also see How to Counter Vision-Based Claims about Dyslexia “Cures” and their list of myth-busting links.

I worked in education and supporting special needs students for quite a while and we kept getting parents who read an item that said using OpenDyslexic, Dyslexie or other special font would be a "miracle cure" for their kids reading difficulties. Like any other snake oil remedies, they didn't work. The only consolation was that OpenDyslexic unlike Dyslexie was a freebie.

Interesting. Kinda good to know. We've had people ask us to put a font like that in a game but I never saw anything on the actual usage for it.
Fritomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:05 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I did not mean to derail discussion by mentioning OpenDyslexic (I did label it 'OT' == 'Off Topic', to no avail). Then compounding this with mention of blue light, and expressing my disregard of studies that get promulgated on the Internet. I will say no more about any of these things on this thread.

The thread topic, for anyone that is still interested, remains Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2023, 07:11 AM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I agree that for reading generally I find 8″ eink best. I have or had: 4.7, 5, 6 (167 dpi & 300dpi), 6.8 (267 dpi?), 7, 7.8, 8, 9.7 (150 dpi & worst) and 10.3″. Only the 6.8″ is gone.

Despite 9.7″ and 10.3″ being too large and heavy for a novel I think I'd consider a larger colour eink, if the colour is 200 dpi as I'd only use it for magazines, web pages made into epub, comics/graphic novels.

Certainly from testing comics (like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles), the 8″ is a minimum on eink (300 dpi mono Sage) and they are far easier to read on a 10" LCD tablet due to the colour. The very limited palette of Kaliedo also looks like it works for comics etc, but not "Art" or "Photo" quality illustrated books or website capture.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-05-2023 at 07:13 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #67
Fritomaster
Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I agree that for reading generally I find 8″ eink best. I have or had: 4.7, 5, 6 (167 dpi & 300dpi), 6.8 (267 dpi?), 7, 7.8, 8, 9.7 (150 dpi & worst) and 10.3″. Only the 6.8″ is gone.

Despite 9.7″ and 10.3″ being too large and heavy for a novel I think I'd consider a larger colour eink, if the colour is 200 dpi as I'd only use it for magazines, web pages made into epub, comics/graphic novels.

Certainly from testing comics (like Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles), the 8″ is a minimum on eink (300 dpi mono Sage) and they are far easier to read on a 10" LCD tablet due to the colour. The very limited palette of Kaliedo also looks like it works for comics etc, but not "Art" or "Photo" quality illustrated books or website capture.
Reminds me I have a few D&D type guide books I could try. I have a 11inch oled tablet that weighs 670g. So it's one of those "why though" use cases for the ereader. Will see though.

I think 9/10inch would be great for detailed comics because the darker look of the color/screens the image isn't as contrasted and thus harder to see. 8 inch is perfectly fine for most. I will say crazy line art stuff like mcfarlane you gotta turn up the brightness to get the contrast.

The biggest issue with that size for me is you need two hands and it's not great for reading in bed.

I do wish the PB had the fat bezel on the side tho. I think that is a way better form factor.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #68
Fritomaster

Actually the pathfinder book looks pretty damn good.

Besides the obvious small text.(and ignore the phone processing on the small text.) The images render great all things considered.
https://imgur.com/a/LcjnnCv

Last edited by Fritomaster; 12-05-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:04 AM   #69
Fritomaster

266 on amazon right now. It's become my daily driver.

https://www.amazon.com/PocketBook-Ey...dp/B0CLPFTFYD/
Old 12-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #70
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
266 on amazon right now. It's become my daily driver.

https://www.amazon.com/PocketBook-Ey...dp/B0CLPFTFYD/
Don't you fear it could break? You know eink screens are very fragile. Have you bought any sleeve/case to protect it?
I'm clumsy and an old Boox broke I don't know how yet.
Old 12-17-2023, 02:32 PM   #71
Fritomaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Don't you fear it could break? You know eink screens are very fragile. Have you bought any sleeve/case to protect it?
I'm clumsy and an old Boox broke I don't know how yet.
No it feels pretty sturdy/well built. Feels more solid than my kobo.

I don't use sleeves/cases it makes them too bulky imo. It feels like it would survive a drop. Edges are also rounded which is nice.
Old 12-17-2023, 04:51 PM   #72
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
I don't use sleeves/cases it makes them too bulky imo.
I feel that way too, somewhat.
The worst I've seen is the B&N Glow '21 cover which is really bulky.

I'm really happy with my custom solution for my Onyx Poke5.
I use the front (and about 1/8 of the back) of a stock cover.
It gives me scratch protection of the screen and minimal bulk.
I also got rid of a bunch of magnets in the cover and the device.
It's all detailed in this thread.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 03:00 AM   #73
viceant
Addict

Quote:
No it feels pretty sturdy/well built. Feels more solid than my kobo.

I don't use sleeves/cases it makes them too bulky imo. It feels like it would survive a drop. Edges are also rounded which is nice.
Thanks. Sadly Amazon doesn't sell it in Spain by itself, but an independent seller in its marketplace.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:01 AM   #74
viceant
Addict

I finally bought one, thanks a lot to everyone who answered my questions here.

Now I'm a little anguished it breaks and waiting for a case. I whish pocketbook improved their software because the ghosting is very apparent. Bigme is a new actor and they have improved their software quickly
Old 12-29-2023, 12:48 PM   #75
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
I finally bought one, thanks a lot to everyone who answered my questions here.

Now I'm a little anguished it breaks and waiting for a case. I whish pocketbook improved their software because the ghosting is very apparent. Bigme is a new actor and they have improved their software quickly
I have it set to refresh every page. Still not always effective. That said, I am happy with it.

Also waiting for the 'case'. I assume it is just like Era's, which snaps into the slot on the back, and covers only the front. I think it was several months before I was able to get one for my Era.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote