Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2023, 08:49 AM   #46
Fritomaster
Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EGegege
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Hoy does it manage zoom, is it fast enough? I fear reading magazines like Scientific American, where you have to zoom to images frequently in order to understand the text, will be still very slow

I can't say that I've tried any magazines. I will test it. I can say though that with graphic novels zooming isn't the fastest.

The tab mini c seems to be really fast in that reguard. But you also pay more + android batterylife. (that said I haven't seen one in person and went with PB because the lack of android features.)
Fritomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #47
Fritomaster
Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fritomaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Hoy does it manage zoom, is it fast enough? I fear reading magazines like Scientific American, where you have to zoom to images frequently in order to understand the text, will be still very slow

There ya go booted up a pdf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPdrQ8h84Rg

TL : DR

Landscape mode + panning = usable in my opinion. Text size was fine for me.

Zooming in often - 6 seconds or so for each reflow (then panning is fine) but if you zoom in and out I would find it pretty annoying.

Last edited by Fritomaster; 12-04-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I also got one a couple of days ago. Very happy with it.

It's fun to have color cover images, and color photos, and sometimes color headings, on an eInk device.

I can download ePub or PDF from calibre server with the browser, so it's convenient to get content on it (surely there is a way to change the web browser start page?). And these sync with PB Cloud so I can read these with the PocketBook app as well.

I love the form factor: 8" is sort of a sweet spot for a reading device, and it's more comfortable to hold than my iPad mini. I'm not a button person normally but these work well, work as expected in most contexts, and are customizable (default long press of Home button is Task Switcher for example).

I am looking for a decent Russian-English translation dictionary. I know PB has one (not a very good one) along with a dictionary conversion tool, and that I can 'roll my own' with that tool, but not sure it is worth time to figure it out, when I can just use a Kindle for this (decent dictionary and Vocabulary Builder). (As it stands, my Russian comprehension is not nearly what it was at its peak in college, so already I will need side-by-side English translation - 2 screens - to make faster progress.)

One minor disappointment is that I cannot use wired headset (e.g. when using TTS): USB port doesn't seem to support it. Maybe they can add support with an update, but it must be a low priority as it's not supported on other PB devices either (except maybe on the one that's Android based).

I haven't tried any comics yet (not why I got this). What will be best target format: CBZ, PDF, ePUB FXL?

Last edited by tomsem; 12-04-2023 at 02:07 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:03 PM   #49
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OT: the OpenDyslexic font on PB includes Cyrillic support, whereas Kindle's does not (not even in the Kindle apps). Nor does the download from OpenDyslexic.org.

I started using this font just for the novelty of it, and maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems a little easier to read with.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:04 PM   #50
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
One minor disappointment is that I cannot use wired headset (when using TTS): USB port doesn't seem to support it.
The problem with tech is that they try to simplify things by glossing over them.

There are two forms of Type C headphone adapters:
  • A bunch of wires that leverages the audio DAC and amplifier already built into the device
  • An audio DAC and amplifier that only presumes that this is all USB data
Considering that internet offers for the more expensive adapters run under $10, you should definitely experiment.

My Poke5 does not have analog output.
So I would need a DAC/amplifier type adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poke5-2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	205037  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #51
Fritomaster

Quote:
I also got one a couple of days ago. Very happy with it.

It's fun to have color cover images, and color photos, and sometimes color headings, on an eInk device.

I can download ePub or PDF from calibre server with the browser, so it's convenient to get content on it (surely there is a way to change the web browser start page?). And these sync with PB Cloud so I can read these with the PocketBook app as well.

I love the form factor: 8" is sort of a sweet spot for a reading device, and it's more comfortable to hold than my iPad mini. I'm not a button person normally but these work well, work as expected in most contexts, and are customizable (default long press of Home button is Task Switcher for example).

I am looking for a decent Russian-English translation dictionary. I know PB has one (not a very good one) along with a dictionary conversion tool, and that I can 'roll my own' with that tool, but not sure it is worth time to figure it out, when I can just use a Kindle for this (decent dictionary and Vocabulary Builder). (As it stands, my Russian comprehension is not nearly what it was at its peak in college, so already I will need side-by-side English translation - 2 screens - to make faster progress.)

One minor disappointment is that I cannot use wired headset (e.g. when using TTS): USB port doesn't seem to support it. Maybe they can add support with an update, but it must be a low priority as it's not supported on other PB devices either (except maybe on the one that's Android based).

I haven't tried any comics yet (not why I got this). What will be best target format: CBZ, PDF, ePUB FXL?
Interesting to know about the Russian. I don't know a ton but I studied it for a bit. Was considering getting back into it.

As far as comics CBZ is the way to go, because the 32gb I resized them down to the devices native resolution using kindle comic maker(Export as cbz).

The reason for CBZ is because it allows you to adjust the color, with pdf you can't and koreader is very washed out.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:17 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
The problem with tech is that they try to simplify things by glossing over them.

• A bunch of wires that leverages the audio DAC and amplifier already built into the device
Considering that internet offers for the more expensive adapters run under $10, you should definitely experiment.

I have Beats Studio Pro which have built in DAC (and work with Fire tablets with USB-C). Have not tried using an adapter yet, but I think I tried that with my PB Era and some other headphones, to no avail.

And of course I wish Kindles would work with wired audio too (other than 7th generation ones).

Last edited by tomsem; 12-04-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:17 PM   #53
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

And also the the device needs to support USB Audio AND USB Host mode for the DAC type to work. For example a €6 PC USB stick works via a Micro USB2Go to USB-A socket (€6) on a PW3, but only if you downloaded two FW packs from Amazon for Voice View.
The support of simply wired audio via a USB-C socket and plug is very much newer hardware and while most Android from 5 to 13 on micro USB or USB-C will support the traditional DAC based USB Audio adaptor (same one as will generically work on Windows/Linux), few USB-C phones/tablets have the dumb cable adaptor and if the phone/tablet has a 3.5mm jack socket it won't.
There are some old smart watches that used cabled audio headphones on mini-USB and micro USB, but removing the jack socket and having a cable mode on the USB-C limits flexibility and adds confusion and isn't needed on a phone/tablet unlike a tiny watch (I have a cheap smart watch that has such a headphone via micro-USB, and unlike some popular watches it has a real SIM socket and real SD card socket under the clip-in replaceable battery. It also has a rubbish video camera. Voice dictation is OK and you can do voice calls with the tinny speaker built in!)

Last edited by Quoth; 12-04-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:24 PM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OT: the OpenDyslexic font on PB includes Cyrillic support, whereas Kindle's does not (not even in the Kindle apps). Nor does the download from OpenDyslexic.org.
It was invented as an art project and there is zero evidence that it helps as much as simply any clear font at a suitable size.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #55
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It was invented as an art project and there is zero evidence that it helps as much as simply any clear font at a suitable size.
Evidence, shmevidence.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I have Beats Studio Pro which have built in DAC (and work with Fire tablets with USB-C). Have not tried using an adapter yet, but I think I tried that with my PB Era and some other headphones, to no avail.

And of course I wish Kindles would work with wired audio too (other than 7th generation ones).
Not all USB (DAC based) headphones are "generic" USB Audio Data. The Logitech ones I have are not. Yet the €6 USB-A "stick" for "PC", works on most Android via a suitable dumb adaptor and on the PW3 (with optional Voice View stuff installed).
Old 12-04-2023, 02:29 PM   #57
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Evidence, shmevidence.
Easily researched. There might be studies by now saying it's junk! I've not looked lately.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:53 PM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Easily researched. There might be studies by now saying it's junk! I've not looked lately.
There's 'evidence' for everything on the Internet. I am not going to waste time looking for it. I would not trust any study of something like this in any case, one way or the other.

I'm perfectly happy to try something out for awhile to see if it appeals to me, which is what I'm doing.

I think for example the 'blue light' studies are junk, and 'warm light' feature holds little value for me. I tried it out, don't like it, don't use it.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-04-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 03:01 PM   #59
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
For example a €6 PC USB stick works via a Micro USB2Go to USB-A socket (€6) on a PW3, but only if you downloaded two FW packs from Amazon for Voice View.
Um, who was talking about Kindle?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 03:39 PM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Um, who was talking about Kindle?
An illustration of that even when the HW supports a generic DAC USB Audio, there might by default be no software for it.